Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Jan 11, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #316 of 3,545
Why are people making silly claims like "the HD700s are no better than HD600s" or "HD700s have HD6xx drivers in a HD800 body" etc. etc. This is stupid and unfounded and more importantly wrong... since we know it sounds like a relative to the HD800 and not the HD6xx line. Not to mention that you people haven't even HEARD the HD700s yet.

Quote:
There are several people who seem very confident that these will be retailing new for a few hundred dollars less than list.  To those people, what is the basis for your confidence, especially in light of Senn's pricing strategy for the 800 (i.e. resale price maintenance)?

I share the sentiments of several in this thread who were hoping for a slightly better 650, not a slightly worse 800.  And the $1k price tag, coupled with the (increased!) price increase of the flagship that Senn is perfectly content to ram down its dealers and end users' throats, results in a nice big gas face from me to Sennheiser.  Of course, I'll give them a chance and actually listen to the darn things, but this trend is disappointing. Poorly done. 

I would very much like to know this as well. As far as I see it, there are two outstanding very important questions about the HD700 to convince me or any other interested buyer that the HD700 is worth purchasing:

1. Is it going to be 100% price-fixed at $1000, or will there be the possibility for better deals?

2. Does the HD700 really sound better than an HD800 on most "good" or "high end" amps?

At $1000, why buy an HD700 when for $1300 you could get a technically superior HD800? What's the point?

Unless... there's some magical feature that puts the HD700 ahead of the HD800... which may very well be the case IF the HD700 does indeed sound better than an HD800 on most people's systems. This could be quite a huge deal, since not everyone is going to pay $5000 in audio equipment to get the HD800 sounding ideal, and thus the HD700 suddenly becomes a LOT cheaper.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #317 of 3,545
Okay, let me see what I can add...(have been quickly reading the BIG thread throughout the day and trying to keep up.)
  1. I would love to see the cable connectors become a standard.  Do you like the ease and the confidence when you plug in your iems with the 3.5mm phone jack? This is a 2.5mm version. Excellent!
  2. The weight and comfort? Fantastic, best I have tried in a headphone.  The loaner pair had less foam on the headband than the new picture I see.  
       (More foam = good because the loaner was on the edge of being too big for my smallish head).
  1. Some of the technology and the design does "trickle down" as some have said that it does not 
    blink.gif
    ...some "trickle-down" is how it sounds MUCH more like the HD 800 than the HD600 or HD650.  The "controlled" venting of the driver, the metal mesh suspension technique, the shape of the magnet...

1. What does not "trickle down" (from what I understand) is the size of the driver and the big hole in it.  But the driver has a membrane and magnet that is a ring + a center portion to the membrane to increase surface area. (This is what I gathered from the couple of diagrams shown...)
  1. The soundstage is ALMOST as big but just a "tad closer" for the "center voices" (not like you are on stage, just a bit closer which some people will prefer).

Okay, SOUND?

Let me tell you where I am at.  I've been very active in trying to put together my "killer big rig".

I am willing to "go for it" for the sound I want and loved the HD 800 on the eight occasions that I listened to them.

So I got them.  And then was very happy to be selected to try the HD 700 too!

If you cannot get the HD 800, the HD 700 are a "baby HD 800".

They aren't a "darker" HD 800 but a lighter, more comfortable, less expensive, easier to drive 800 that aren't as smooth in the upper mids and treble as the HD 800.

I did notice the sibilance more on the HD 700- especially if using certain "test tracks".  The 700 can be more fatiguing in this area.  That would be my main issue with the 700.

Yes, it did get better with burn-in.  I do believe in driver and brain burn-in...

Some might say the 700 have a "little more bass" because not everything is "filled-in" the top end (and might prefer this).  

Some may say they don't "extend enough" but the bass "quantity" was there for me (not compared to something like Audeze but these are different styles, man).

In the end, I have my own priorities and I decided to buy Sennheiser for my main rig...

I can understand the HD 650/Audeze love but I need/want that sense of "resolution" and "clarity" first.  (Others think there is plenty of detail in the HD 650 or Audeze, which is cool with me.)

I went for it and got the HD 800.  The HD 700 is too close in style to have as a compliment, so I might do an HD 600 "warmed-up" with a vintage amp for a different sound later.  We'll see.

Hmmm, I could see someone getting the HD 700 first and then "leveling up" later...  I'm kinda "in-love" with my HD 800, if you haven't noticed!  
tongue.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #318 of 3,545
I will admit to looking forward to the gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and general wetting of pants soon to come in the inevitable HD 700 v. LCD-2 rev 2.316 thread. 

well as long as the T1 > HD 700, then LCD-2 will be > HD 700

well as long as my personal preferences, then my personal preference.

-.-

If these drop to $700-800, I'd be very tempted.

But I'll be honest, these are how I think headphones sound look like. o-o
Beyer also does it well. Denon tries, but slightly short.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #319 of 3,545

Quote:
judging from the picture, looks like some pleathery/plastic material. doesn't seem very good...of  course its probably better irl.

At least it won't crack quite so easily as the HD650/600 :)

I really enjoy watching the brewing ****storm of an unreleased headphone.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #320 of 3,545

Quote:
They're gar/re badge regardless. ^^ They're traditional dynamics, no ring driver, and 40mm elements. "Wake up mamma! 'Cause they want $1,000 from you!"

In the worst way, Sennheiser is crazy. There's a distinct lack of interest for you and I. (*Well business aren't supposed to worry about the customer** the naysayers will squeal.

The business is supposed to serve the customer, otherwise we don't buy from them.

HD 700 is LOLTastic failblog. I cannot believe Sennheiser. They've done it with every single product except for HD 600/6XX.

Orpheus, - - create a market for $10,000 headphones. HD 800, quickly create a market for 1,000 dollar headphones. Oops, did I say 1,000? I'm sorry. I meant $1500!
biggrin.gif

HD 700.
devil_face.gif
The worst of all of them. There's no trickle down of technology. And shoves HD 600 drivers in an HD 800 'cup.' LOL(,) and they want 1,000 from you. Ha! And people might actually pay for it! Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulk Sennheiser. Thanks for producing (this time) a garbage product not worth it's weight in tin.

Useless rant!!

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #323 of 3,545
Jan 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #324 of 3,545
Quote:
Darth Vader would be proud of these babies. The force is strong with these.

Ignorance leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to screeching highs and suffering.

HD 700, purveyor of Discord since 2012.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #326 of 3,545

Quote:
Okay, let me see what I can add...(have been quickly reading the BIG thread throughout the day and trying to keep up.)
  1. I would love to see the cable connectors become a standard.  Do you like the ease and the confidence when you plug in your iems with the 3.5mm phone jack? This is a 2.5mm version. Excellent!
  2. The weight and comfort? Fantastic, best I have tried in a headphone.  The loaner pair had less foam on the headband than the new picture I see.  
       (More foam = good because the loaner was on the edge of being too big for my smallish head).
  1. Some of the technology and the design does "trickle down" as some have said that it does not 
    blink.gif
    ...some "trickle-down" is how it sounds MUCH more like the HD 800 than the HD600 or HD650.  The "controlled" venting of the driver, the metal mesh suspension technique, the shape of the magnet...

Cheers!!! 

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #327 of 3,545
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 11, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #328 of 3,545
When we examined the driver in person, the HD700 driver does NOT appear to be the same ring driver as the HD800.  It does not appear to measure close to the 55/56mm either.  The ring driver is concave in the outer bowl area whereas the HD700 appears a more typical convex design.  It seems maybe Senn took a more conventional driver and tried to emulate a baby ring driver.  

Sennheiser did a pretty amazing job tuning the 700's technical qualities though even if it is not the same exact driver in the 800.  There might be some measurements floating around, or could be soon (not sure if NDAs will prohibit this atm).  
wink_face.gif
  It's clear to my listening and seeing the measures that Senn has a clearly targeted reference signature atm.  

800 driver pics below to compliment CEETEE's 700 pics.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #329 of 3,545

Quote:

1. What does not "trickle down" (from what I understand) is the size of the driver and the big hole in it.  But the driver has a membrane and magnet that is a ring + a center portion to the membrane to increase surface area. (This is what I gathered from the couple of diagrams shown...)

Intersting and quite innovative design if so (any relation to v-moda's "double diaphgram"?). But why only 40mm drivers? seriosly, all the good stuff is equipped with >50mm (Ultrasone not included).

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #330 of 3,545

Quote:

I was neutral on the argument until reading this. Couldn't agree more. Even so, I do feel like Sennheiser is just filling a gap in the market. The HD700 wasn't created out of passion - it's like a cut down HD800 to try to muscle in on the LCD-2 market. I get that that's just business, but it doesn't make me want to love them. 

I think it's targeting the T1 more than the LCD2 for those that don't want to pay 800 prices.  Audeze sound is just a different direction altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back