Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
May 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2,764 of 3,545
I knew the HD700 wouldnt be very good. I see right through companies when they put out a slightly cheaper version of their flagship and claim it to be nearly as good. It happens over and over with these marketing professionals. From a production standpoint they will want to cut as many corners as they can to not kill the market for the HD800. From a value standpoint it can't be too much better than the mid level ones, because they want those to still sell too. It is so silly.

May 28, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,765 of 3,545
Quote:
I knew the HD700 wouldnt be very good. I see right through companies when they put out a slightly cheaper version of their flagship and claim it to be nearly as good. It happens over and over with these marketing professionals.

Er ...............

The HD 700 is not a "slightly cheaper version of the flagship", it's a totally different headphone.

Different design, different driver technology, etc., etc....

Sennheiser have never claimed what you say - the HD 700 is a valid headphone in its own right and should be taken for what it is.

Listening myself, I find it fills the gap between the 600/650 and 800 very well, but it's no where near as good as the 800; though it is a good step forward from the 600/650.  And I do have the 800, 650 and 600 (actually 580 Jubilee) myself and listened to the 700 over a three day period.

May 28, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #2,766 of 3,545
I don't understand the outcry when those who've heard the HD700 compare them to known quantities like the HD800 and HD650. The HD800 and HD650 are ubiquitous on Head-Fi and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the points of reference. Impressions based solely on vague and incredibly subjective audiophile terms may appeal to some, but rarely do they provide meaningful insight. I find impressions more reliable when it comes from someone who contrasts headphones I know (and in terms I agree with) to headphones I've yet to hear.

May 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #2,767 of 3,545
Well, I would be the first person to agree that plenty of amazing headphones don't have an initial "wow factor" to them. The SR-007mk1 and TH900 are two examples that immediately come to mind. It took a week or so of continuous use for me to really start to develop an appreciation for them, and only when I returned to other headphones did I notice just how capable they really were. Those two headphones are just so inoffensive, very transparent (to differing degrees) but with a very, very slight coloration (again to differing degrees).

On the other hand, the TakeT H2+ and Stax SR-009 just wowed me right out of the starting gate. Both have a certain novelty: the former has one-of-a-kind bass and a startling sense of presence, whereas the SR-009 is so transparent that said transparency almost becomes a coloration in and of itself relative to other headphones. So I'd say it just depends. Colored headphones can sound underwhelming on first listen, and uncolored headphones can knock your argyle socks off. Not every forte is a coloration, after all. On the other hand, well balanced headphones can require some time to appreciate, especially if you're used to a particular coloration. Headphones like the SR-007 and TH900 also have a lot of subtle qualities.

That's why I'm taking my time with the HD700, to see if they grow on me. That's what I meant primarily when I said my mind likes to be deceptive. I will say this however: saying a headphone is "underwhelming" doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate / transparent / well-balanced or what-have-you. All it really means is that it does not excite the sensibilities of the person listening to them. When I first listened to the DX1000 for instance, I felt extremely underwhelmed. And that's one of the most colored flagship headphones I can think of.

Re: Comparing the HD700 to other headphones. This is done primarily as a service to others, and while I do advocate treating headphones as ends in themselves, I think comparisons are a necessarily evil because it's just a more effective way of communicating how something sounds to certain people. Language is a terribly imprecise tool for describing sound, and if you can find a known quantity to reference, then it becomes easier. We may not agree on what constitutes "bassy," but we may be able to be on the same page when I say the HD700 has more mid-bass relative to the HD800.

May 28, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,768 of 3,545
Quote:
I knew the HD700 wouldnt be very good. I see right through companies when they put out a slightly cheaper version of their flagship and claim it to be nearly as good. It happens over and over with these marketing professionals.

Er ...............

The HD 700 is not a "slightly cheaper version of the flagship", it's a totally different headphone.

Different design, different driver technology, etc., etc....

Sennheiser have never claimed what you say - the HD 700 is a valid headphone in its own right and should be taken for what it is.

Listening myself, I find it fills the gap between the 600/650 and 800 very well, but it's no where near as good as the 800; though it is a good step forward from the 600/650.  And I do have the 800, 650 and 600 (actually 580 Jubilee) myself and listened to the 700 over a three day period.

So in your opinion its better than the HD650? One guy says they're worse, than the next says they're better.... I really don't know what to think now. Theres so much contradictions.

I'm currently looking to buy a headphone and would like either the HD650 or the HD700. If money were no object, which would be better to get?

Sent from my Desire HD

May 28, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #2,770 of 3,545
If money is no object, get the HD800 and the source and amp to do it justice.

HD800 is out of the question for now, mainly because of the amping problem. The HD700 really appeals to me because its much easier to amp.

Sent from my Desire HD

May 28, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,771 of 3,545
If money is no object, get the HD800 and the source and amp to do it justice.

This. If cost is no object, and you want Sennheiser, don't monkey around. Nice amps that will properly drive the HD800 don't have to be $3,000. I thought they sounded very good with my EF-5.

May 28, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #2,772 of 3,545
Quote:
So in your opinion its better than the HD650? One guy says they're worse, than the next says they're better.... I really don't know what to think now. Theres so much contradictions.

Contradictions and head-fi are bosom buddies.

Here's my 2 cents: the HD700 is somewhat more capable in certain respects like resolution, instrument separation, presentation of soundstage. However to my ears the HD700 is more fatiguing up top and more unnatural sounding than the HD650.

So it depends on what YOU'RE looking for, really.

If you want a highly analytical and revealing sound akin to the HD800, but with a smidgeon of added warmth and a slightly more relaxed presentation, then then HD700 is not it. The SRH1840 fits that descriptor more to me. The HD700 does, however, have more mid-bass than either the HD800 or SRH1840. It just doesn't do anything else better to my thinking at this stage. Again, it may grow on me though.

May 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #2,773 of 3,545
Quote:
HD800 is out of the question for now, mainly because of the amping problem. The HD700 really appeals to me because its much easier to amp.
Sent from my Desire HD

well, it’s so early with the HD700 and there’s so many divided opinions that you probably won’t get a better idea how the HD700 compares until a few months from now.

Oh, and count me in the cmpa of those who think the HD800 amping requirements are overblown. Yes, it will sound better from a top flight amp. But I used it on one great amp/dac (isabellina HPA) plus a couple mid-fi amp dads (peachtree music box and headroom desktop) and it still sounded better out of those devices than any other headphone I had listened to at the time or since, with the exception of the Omega 2.

The Isabellina filled out the bass a little more and increased the soudstage a little more but the HD800 still sounded awesome from those cheaper amp/DAC combos.

Don’t “settle” for an HD700 right now, this early after they’ve been released, after reading only a couple impressions about how much amping power they require. 

May 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #2,774 of 3,545
Perhaps I should have used different phrasing. The cost does matter, so in other words the HD800 along with a good amp is a little too expensive for my blood.

Let's say Sennheiser decided to sell the HD650 and 700 at the same price, what would be the better choice?

Sent from my Desire HD

May 28, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2,775 of 3,545
Quote:
[...]

I'm currently looking to buy a headphone and would like either the HD650 or the HD700. If money were no object, which would be better to get?

Sent from my Desire HD

This is precisely why a common point of reference is important. Spend some time reading and you'll soon identify members who have experience with the same gear and who describe those components in terms you understand. Discount the ones who confound you, take note of the ones who share your preferences. Obviously their impressions shouldn't be taken as gospel, but they can set you on the right path when a personal audition is not possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back