Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 12, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,669 of 3,545

Quote:
As far as I'm aware, no one at all...

Those are not good examples, it is like accusing people of spelling X'mas for Christmas. 
I did have to get used to spelling certain things differently moving back from San Francisco to London- neighbour; colour; centre; cheque.... These are all very commonly used everyday words. Not to mention all the other  words that mean different things here- I now have to walk on the pavement and not the side walk; live in the loft and store my stuff in the attic...Can't slap anyone's fanny anymore but I can ask people if I could bum a fag if I wanted a cigarette..
Being a citizen of both countries with an English wife and American children, I am just glad that we have both the American English and the British English. It makes everything so much more interesting. I love it.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,670 of 3,545

Quote:
Interesting.  I'm guessing Montreal is a bit multicultural like many other major cities?

Yes, they have a diverse population like most other Canadian cities, but Quebec wisely protects its culture (ie French language) with Bill 101, which states that Quebec has only one official language.

Off topic, I'm anxious for someone to compare the HD700 with the HD650/600 and note the differences.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,671 of 3,545

Quote:
I like their french fries with cheese sauce and stuff.

Well, thats an advantage of living in Canada 
cool.gif

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #1,676 of 3,545
You need locking!

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,677 of 3,545
Quote:
It depends on your expectations about multiculturalism. You can certainly find many immigrants who preserved part of their lifestyle there. But it also is a very stereotypical sort of multiculturalism. As a French, I was nearly expected to walk around with a beret on the head and a baguette in my arms. On the other hand it's pretty hard in Montreal to have access to real, fundamental and deep-rooted foreign cultures. Foreign cinema for example is practically non existent. Another example could be the Jazz festival, which, despite drawing artists from everywhere in the world, lacks edge and doesn't represent well the latest evolutions of jazz music. So instead of describing it as a multicultural city, I'd rather call it a globish city, with the sort of culture everybody from anywhere in the world can easily grasp, enjoy or even participate in. On the other hand Montreal itself produced some rather authentic (do I sound like a hipster using that word ? I'm sorry) cultural aspects - I think it's a great place for example for graffitis enthusiasts.

Interesting, kind of like the Epcot version of multi-cultural.

HD700.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,678 of 3,545

Quote:
I didn't say Renaissance French was an elegant or ugly sounding language. I just said that it's likely Quebec French is truer to the old French than today's European French, ugly or beautiful, that's your judgement :D.

Very accessible. Anyway, even if you had troubles with the language, I think most Quebeckers are so nice and welcoming it's like they descend from the Care Bears.

Especially downtown, pretty much everything's bilingual in Montreal.

It depends on your expectations about multiculturalism. You can certainly find many immigrants who preserved part of their lifestyle there. But it also is a very stereotypical sort of multiculturalism. As a French, I was nearly expected to walk around with a beret on the head and a baguette in my arms. On the other hand it's pretty hard in Montreal to have access to real, fundamental and deep-rooted foreign cultures. Foreign cinema for example is practically non existent. Another example could be the Jazz festival, which, despite drawing artists from everywhere in the world, lacks edge and doesn't represent well the latest evolutions of jazz music. So instead of describing it as a multicultural city, I'd rather call it a globish city, with the sort of culture everybody from anywhere in the world can easily grasp, enjoy or even participate in. On the other hand Montreal itself produced some rather authentic (do I sound like a hipster using that word ? I'm sorry) cultural aspects - I think it's a great place for example for graffitis enthusiasts.

<snip>

I appreciate the insight MayaTlab.  Can't wait to visit sometime.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,679 of 3,545
Oh Wink, we were having an engaging discussion before you came along.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back