Sennheiser HD 700: Officially Unveiled at CES 2012!
Feb 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,636 of 3,545
Pathetic!
wink_face.gif

In Germany you can travel 50 miles and and you won't understand anyone if he/she talks in the regional dialect. We have tons of dialects here because of history...

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #1,638 of 3,545

Quote:
Its actually British English that's changed more since the Revolution.  American English is closer to what was actually spoken around that time.

Really?  Is that true?  Interesting.  Still love the British English though.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #1,639 of 3,545

Quote:
Pathetic!
wink_face.gif

In Germany you can travel 50 miles and and you won't understand anyone if he/she talks in the regional dialect. We have tons of dialects here because of history...

I tell ya, Germany has a very intriguing history, especially when one considering the fact that it didn't become the Germany we know now until 1871.  I'm guessing many of those German dialects are a legacy of the many former German mini-states?

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,640 of 3,545
Feb 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,641 of 3,545
Hey ya'll, mighty large snowflakes fell yesterday in the middlewest. Thank good'ness I got mashed perderders 

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,642 of 3,545
Quote:
Hey ya'll, mighty large snowflakes fell yesterday in the middlewest. Thank good'ness I got mashed perderders 

Redneck doesn't even count as American English...

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #1,643 of 3,545

Quote:
Really?  Is that true?  Interesting.  Still love the British English though.

French from Quebec actually is much closer to the French spoken in Europe during the late Renaissance than the French spoken today in Europe, so I suppose that could be also true for American English. But could it also be because of the influence of immigration ?

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,645 of 3,545
Feb 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,646 of 3,545

Quote:
French from Quebec actually is much closer to the French spoken in Europe during the late Renaissance than the French spoken today in Europe, so I suppose that could be also true for American English. But could it also be because of the influence of immigration ?

Another fascinating part of North America.  I understand french Canadians consider themselves more french than Canadian?  I would love to visit Quebec as well as the rest of Canada one of these days.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,647 of 3,545

Quote:
Another fascinating part of North America.  I understand french Canadians consider themselves more french than Canadian?  I would love to visit Quebec as well as the rest of Canada one of these days.

That would be best asked to a Quebecker. But from my experience living in Montreal, that's not what I felt, although one could point out that Montreal is a cultural bridge between Quebec and the rest of Canada, and therefore may not be the best representation of Quebec. My feeling is that most Quebeckers simply consider that they're just Canadians living in a particular province with a particular cultural environment that merits some specific consideration, pretty much like most Catalans (with a few twists though). It's more a question of degree of autonomy / cultural specificities than a black or white divide IMHO. Take my impressions with a pinch of salt as it's a bit harder than usual for somebody coming from a very centralised country like mine to understand those subtleties, so I may be wrong.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,648 of 3,545
It's always not so simple with the different regions and people.

I'm from a region in Germany (north-western) that is much closer to a part of the Dutch culture (incl. the language!) than to the rest of Germany.

Although e.g. Bavaria is a part of Germany, it's cultural wise as far away from the north-western part of Germany where I've been born, as -let's say- Norway is away from Greece.

I think, that the European culture is much more complex than the culture of North America, which -for me- is also remarkably complex in all its aspects.

On the other side you'll find some brands nearly everywhere.
Like McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. - well, I personally don't like it, because those brands offer nearly no quality and they destroy the local diversity.

Just my two cents...

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,649 of 3,545

Quote:
That would be best asked to a Quebecker. But from my experience living in Montreal, that's not what I felt, although one could point out that Montreal is a cultural bridge between Quebec and the rest of Canada, and therefore may not be the best representation of Quebec. My feeling is that most Quebeckers simply consider that they're just Canadians living in a particular province with a particular cultural environment that merits some specific consideration, pretty much like most Catalans (with a few twists though). It's more a question of degree of autonomy / cultural specificities than a black or white divide IMHO. Take my impressions with a pinch of salt as it's a bit harder than usual for somebody coming from a very centralised country like mine to understand those subtleties, so I may be wrong.

Ah, I see.  I suppose it would be difficult to just generalize.  How was Montreal?

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,650 of 3,545

Quote:
Ah, I see.  I suppose it would be difficult to just generalize.  How was Montreal?

I'm probably the worst person you can ask that question to as (sorry don't hit me !) I subjectively disliked it. But I'm a spoilt snob, as I've had the chance to live in London, NYC and Paris. It objectively is quite a fantastic place in many ways and a very tolerant one at that. Truly a place where you can make it (contrary to NYC where it's more a slogan than a reality). It's just lacking cultural access to rest of the world (just an example : every week, you could choose between 35 or so films - in Paris : 600 or so - no that's not a typo).
Anyway, just so I create the transparent illusion that I'm still concerned about headphones, let me add that Canadian prices are magically overinflated in relation to their american counterparts for some obscure reason, and I'm betting $1Ca that won't change one bit with the HD 700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back