Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #6,586 of 9,305
Valhalla 2 is very good with them.  I am also using a Modi Uber ( Multibit is on the way though!!) and it is a good combo.  I am curious about a Bottlehead crack or maybe a Darkvoice with it though.  Might be even better.  I would definitely go with a tube amp to add more body and tame the treble slightly.  Or just EQ it down a few DB at 6k.  That works too.  
Agree the Valhalla 2 is good with them. I was at a meet a couple of weeks ago and was going to try them on a Crack but the power went out so didn't get to try them out.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #6,587 of 9,305
My o2/odac was broken and i need a new set up for my hd700 . I am thinking to buy TubeMagic D1 . And maybe in the further i pare it with valhalla 2 or lyr 2. Do you have any thots in that regards. I am having a hard time deciding what well saund good.

Haven't heard a Tubemagic D1 but I didn't like the o2/odac with the HD-700, way to harsh for me.  For a budget DAC/amp I think the Aune T1 is not bad, an old GF and another friend use it with HD-650 and K7XX.  The Lyr2 is pretty good but prefer a Ember or BH Crack with the HD-700, also depends on the tubes you are using.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #6,588 of 9,305
I think the HD700 is best served with Wolfson based DACs (as opposed to Sabre) and tube amps (as DavidA said, also depends which), to offset its tendency of being a bit harsh and bright, and to add more bass. My 0.02$

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #6,589 of 9,305
Get a Woo Audio WA3 and pair it with a Schiit Modi 2 Multi-bit.

An Elise from Feliks Audio is worth considering

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

Valhalla 2 is very good with them.  I am also using a Modi Uber ( Multibit is on the way though!!) and it is a good combo.  I am curious about a Bottlehead crack or maybe a Darkvoice with it though.  Might be even better.  I would definitely go with a tube amp to add more body and tame the treble slightly.  Or just EQ it down a few DB at 6k.  That works too.  

edit - I'm sure the Woo would be good too if you can afford it.  

Agree the Valhalla 2 is good with them. I was at a meet a couple of weeks ago and was going to try them on a Crack but the power went out so didn't get to try them out.

Haven't heard a Tubemagic D1 but I didn't like the o2/odac with the HD-700, way to harsh for me.  For a budget DAC/amp I think the Aune T1 is not bad, an old GF and another friend use it with HD-650 and K7XX.  The Lyr2 is pretty good but prefer a Ember or BH Crack with the HD-700, also depends on the tubes you are using.

First thank you all for replaying so quickly.

My little kid is the one who broke my o2/odac so imagine what he will do with a tube amp :) .i rely liked what i read abut buttlehead crack and i wold conceder it but thaws flashy tubes will defiantly get broken in no time .so the choices that i end up with is the vallhala and the lyr cos the tubes are not so visible as the wooaudio and the Ember .id rather a ss amp but i want to tray the warmth of the tube.

Did any one tried the d1 .and will it be better to connect tube dac with tube amp?

One of my friends is using that combo d1 and lyr2 with he500 and he is loving it .

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #6,590 of 9,305
First thank you all for replaying so quickly.

My little kid is the one who broke my o2/odac so imagine what he will do with a tube amp
smily_headphones1.gif
.i rely liked what i read abut buttlehead crack and i wold conceder it but thaws flashy tubes will defiantly get broken in no time .so the choices that i end up with is the vallhala and the lyr cos the tubes are not so visible as the wooaudio and the Ember .id rather a ss amp but i want to tray the warmth of the tube.

Did any one tried the d1 .and will it be better to connect tube dac with tube amp?

One of my friends is using that combo d1 and lyr2 with he500 and he is loving it .

I would get a project Polaris, like a ember but SS, not as much to worry about but it does have some small parts so will still need to keep away from little children, other SS option would be Gustard H-10 where you can roll op-amps, has a little of the tube sound and many like it with HE-560 to tame the highs a little.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #6,591 of 9,305
  I think the HD700 is best served with Wolfson based DACs (as opposed to Sabre) and tube amps (as DavidA said, also depends which), to offset its tendency of being a bit harsh and bright, and to add more bass. My 0.02$

You might be on to something with the Wolfson chip, forgot that my X3 has one and my GF uses it almost every day with her HD-700.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #6,592 of 9,305
I like mine with my Lyr and Bimby...

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #6,593 of 9,305
I would get a project Polaris, like a ember but SS, not as much to worry about but it does have some small parts so will still need to keep away from little children, other SS option would be Gustard H-10 where you can roll op-amps, has a little of the tube sound and many like it with HE-560 to tame the highs a little.

I think I'm going to chose GUSTARD H10.
Its in amazon 400$ and shipping will cost around 100$ i live in saudi arabia . I fund it in aliexpress 350$ and free shipping .

What dac do you recommend to use with it .

Will aune T1 be good choice?

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #6,595 of 9,305
I gust saw the GUSTARD U12 will it be good with GUSTARD H10

The newer breed of schiit will outperform those. And for less moola:grinning:

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #6,596 of 9,305
I think I'm going to chose GUSTARD H10.
Its in amazon 400$ and shipping will cost around 100$ i live in saudi arabia . I fund it in aliexpress 350$ and free shipping .

What dac do you recommend to use with it .

Will aune T1 be good choice?

If you are getting the H10, why not consider the Gustard X12? The form factor is the same, the whole rig can be stacked together, it'll look pretty nice on your desk. If you get the U12, you can stack the little guy up top. I have something similar, and it works pretty well.

Here's a setup from blasjw.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #6,597 of 9,305
If you are getting the H10, why not consider the Gustard X12? The form factor is the same, the whole rig can be stacked together, it'll look pretty nice on your desk. If you get the U12, you can stack the little guy up top. I have something similar, and it works pretty well.

These will cost mor than 1200$. if i was going to spend that much i will buy OPPO HA-1.

I am considering not more than 600$ for dac/amp.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #6,598 of 9,305

These will cost mor than 1200$. if i was going to spend that much i will buy OPPO HA-1.

I am considering not more than 600$ for dac/amp.

Look no further than Chord MOJO.

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #6,599 of 9,305

I use a sabre dac (Audiolab) but pair it with a warm amp and this works well for me. After using many wolfson chips and now using a sabre, the difference in sound is not going to be dramatic enough to tame any annoying trebles. The sabre dacs are maybe a little drier and detailed but no more bright. The wolfsons have more body. But this is a huge generalisation as it all depends how they are implemented. An amp will make much more of a difference imo. 

Also, a week in with the HD700 and I'm finding them very warm sounding. I have filters on my Dac to add a more analogue/rounded sound if need be but I really don't need to. Its maybe my ears but theres no treble probs here - its clear and extended, not harsh but sweet.   

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,600 of 9,305
  I use a sabre dac (Audiolab) but pair it with a warm amp and this works well for me. After using many wolfson chips and now using a sabre, the difference in sound is not going to be dramatic enough to tame any annoying trebles. The sabre dacs are maybe a little drier and detailed but no more bright. The wolfsons have more body. But this is a huge generalisation as it all depends how they are implemented. An amp will make much more of a difference imo. 

Also, a week in with the HD700 and I'm finding them very warm sounding. I have filters on my Dac to add a more analogue/rounded sound if need be but I really don't need to. Its maybe my ears but theres no treble probs here - its clear and extended, not harsh but sweet.   

Yeah sorry, I was indeed generalising too much there. 
Interestingly, after having spent a few weeks with the Crack I went back to my AMB M^3 (w/30V linear PSU and OPA627) and really appreciated its crisp and hard but clean bass on many songs, its completely black noise floor (can't tell if amp is on/off at max level) and level of resolution that is just a level above the Crack.
Really makes well mastered/produced albums sound brilliant with the HD-700, like, say, Speaking in Tongues by Talking Heads. But it's too unforgiving on bad masters like a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Gossip, ... and of course most live albums too.
The M^3 - HD-700 combo is also more fatiguing to the ears to listen to in general and misses the smoothness and musicality of the Crack, essentially what makes pretty much every album sound good as opposed to hit and miss. 
So overall, at least for me, the Crack is more enjoyable with the HD-700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back