Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #4,279 of 9,298
Anyone has got a recommendation for an app under $300? I've read through the thread and found recommendations for the project ember and bottlehead crack. Anyone's got any other recommendations?

Those are good ones. Tho I think the ember is better with 700s if you want tubes. But audio Gg 15 is a beast for the price and sounds great with my 700s tho I offer use my wa6 instead.

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #4,280 of 9,298
Anyone has got a recommendation for an app under $300? I've read through the thread and found recommendations for the project ember and bottlehead crack. Anyone's got any other recommendations?

Gustard H-10 is mentioned by some, was on MassDrop a week ago for $299.
I have a Ember and BH Crack but the Ember is better IMO.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #4,282 of 9,298
  Get the Gustard H10 to fill in the empty space in the middle that the Crack leaves out.

Others have said that since I have the Lyr2 and Ember the H10 would be redundant, I like the HE-700 much better with the Ember than the BH Crack due to the lower Z of the HD-700 and after trying the Lyr2/HD-700 again I still think the Ember is better, just my opinion.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #4,283 of 9,298

Yes for much less. There is an amp (not App) that really punches above it's weight called a Bravo V2.   It is for sale on Massdrop for about $90.  It is a hybrid tube and solid state.  Don't worry there is only one tube and they are sending it out with a really top notch current production tube.  If you are interested in rolling (substituting )  the tube,  it takes a 12AU7 or ECC82.  Mine came with a plain Chinese tube as stock (made by Shuguang)  but they  are supplying a Gold Lion  made by New Sensor -Russia which by itself cost $30-40.  It is a good deal.  Massdrop is also offering  the Darkvoice headphone amp, it uses a 6SN7 and a 6AS7G I Think and is about $239 I think.  You will have to check.  In any event this is an OTL with a fairly common circuit seen in headphone amps..  The tube nomenclature written for the darkvoice is all Chinese I have translated uit for you.
I haven't heard the Project Ember but it is very well regarded and also takes a single tube.  In that amp you can use a really wide variety of tubes.  If you are a tube roller (I am) it sounds like fun, but I have 2 dedicated headphone amps and a vintage tube receiver with a headphone out.  I am not sure about adding another but if I were I might add the Ember. The Crack you mention is very well loved and that is good advice.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #4,284 of 9,298

Yes for much less. There is an amp (not App) that really punches above it's weight called a Bravo V2.   It is for sale on Massdrop for about $90.  It is a hybrid tube and solid state.  Don't worry there is only one tube and they are sending it out with a really top notch current production tube.  If you are interested in rolling (substituting )  the tube,  it takes a 12AU7 or ECC82.  Mine came with a plain Chinese tube as stock (made by Shuguang)  but they  are supplying a Gold Lion  made by New Sensor -Russia which by itself cost $30-40.  It is a good deal.  Massdrop is also offering  the Darkvoice headphone amp, it uses a 6SN7 and a 6AS7G I Think and is about $239 I think.  You will have to check.  In any event this is an OTL with a fairly common circuit seen in headphone amps..  The tube nomenclature written for the darkvoice is all Chinese I have translated uit for you.
I haven't heard the Project Ember but it is very well regarded and also takes a single tube.  In that amp you can use a really wide variety of tubes.  If you are a tube roller (I am) it sounds like fun, but I have 2 dedicated headphone amps and a vintage tube receiver with a headphone out.  I am not sure about adding another but if I were I might add the Ember. The Crack you mention is very well loved and that is good advice.

Wow thanks for the really detailed reply! That was probably a lot more than what i had expected for a reply! I'm currently using a Aune T1 so i'm guessing that's a little better than the Bravo V2?

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #4,285 of 9,298
I just bought the Schiit Asgard2 HPhone SS Amp and I am happy with it thus far  (after the theoretical break-in period of course).  I was going tubes i.e Lyr2, but I didn't want or need another expensive hobby (tube rolling).  Next, the BiFrost2 DAC w/ Uber & USB, so I can hook up all my gear via one system.  Just my humble thoughts, hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #4,286 of 9,298
  I just bought the Schiit Asgard2 HPhone SS Amp and I am happy with it thus far  (after the theoretical break-in period of course).  I was going tubes i.e Lyr2, but I didn't want or need another expensive hobby (tube rolling).  Next, the BiFrost2 DAC w/ Uber & USB, so I can hook up all my gear via one system.  Just my humble thoughts, hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

What are you plugging exactly to your Bifrost?

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,287 of 9,298

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Do you find that the HD-700 is a little on the bright side with the Asgard2?

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #4,288 of 9,298
  What are you plugging exactly to your Bifrost?

My apologies rogethatmand, I haven't bought the BiFrost 2 yet, my wife told me to slow down...
beyersmile.png
 Also because I want the Uber & USB it's a little more expensive, but I don't want to skimp on these options, so I wait.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,289 of 9,298
  Do you find that the HD-700 is a little on the bright side with the Asgard2?

Not overly bright, DavidA , however I did use EQ to tame it a bit, of course this is also source dependent.  Again, I didn't want to get into the tube maintenance and rolling, I researched that good tubes start at ~$300.00.  I think I would never enjoy my music in my search for that perfect sound that I may never ascertain, IMHO.  I contemplated the Lyr2 as recommended by Jason for the HD700, but had second thoughts for the aforementioned reason, he also recommended the Asgard2 for the 700's.  One profound concept I learned on this forum, is the order of things:  Headphones>AMP>DAC.  So I decided to follow this process for my newly acquired hobby, (need the best bang for the buck), currently I'm running Asgard2>Dragonfly 1.0>MacBook Pro, but I digress.  

I'm really happy with my purchase once I dialed it in, but initially I had second thoughts, of course YMMV.  Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke 

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4,290 of 9,298

Not overly bright, DavidA , however I did use EQ to tame it a bit, of course this is also source dependent.  Again, I didn't want to get into the tube maintenance and rolling, I researched that good tubes start at ~$300.00.  I think I would never enjoy my music in my search for that perfect sound that I may never ascertain, IMHO.  I contemplated the Lyr2 as recommended by Jason for the HD700, but had second thoughts for the aforementioned reason, he also recommended the Asgard2 for the 700's.  One profound concept I learned on this forum, is the order of things:  Headphones>AMP>DAC.  So I decided to follow this process for newly acquired hobby, but I digress and YMMV.  Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke 

Azeke,
Makes perfect sense. 

I like the Project Ember for the HD-700, uses only one tube and even the most expensive is $50, most average $15-35. 

Agree with you about the Lyr2, the tubes get pricy, good ones are $100/pair while really good ones are in the $200 and up range but I've found some really good ones for $40-50/pair and unless the rest of you chain (headphones/DAC/source files) are of high quality I can't tell the difference some times.

I'm not in search of the perfect sound, I like the different headphones, amps and DACs that I have for what they are and how they sound.  I listen to music for the enjoyment and not to analyze it.  The most important thing I've found is that you need good source files/RIPs if you are ever to hear what your system is capable of.  As they say "GIGO-garbage in-garbage out"

Have a great weekend
David A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back