Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #7,186 of 9,298

No a least one more...
tongue.gif

Make that 2 more, mine and GF's
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #7,187 of 9,298
I'm about to sell my Audio Technica R70x and Senn HD25-ii and get a pair of HD700. What do you guys reckon? I'm driving my headphones through Asus Xonar STX II with Burson V5 opamps.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #7,191 of 9,298

I have not heard a HD600 but I found the HD650 to be too warm and muffled. Is the HD600 totally different in that aspect?

The r70x is largely more similar to the HD600 over the 700, which is relatively v-shaped and has higher treble than bass

The r70x is a bassier, less clear version of the HD600 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #7,192 of 9,298

I have not heard a HD600 but I found the HD650 to be too warm and muffled. Is the HD600 totally different in that aspect?

The r70x is largely more similar to the HD600 over the 700, which is relatively v-shaped and has higher treble than bass

yes, but they are not particularly bright up top either, more like clear mids. Good upper extension but not too peaky. They don't have too much bass though. Definitely not much low bass, but the midbass is fine. Has less than 650. I'd say looking at the two FR's on Innerfidelity (while not always a good comparison) makes the differences between the two clear

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #7,193 of 9,298
  I think HD700 is an excellent headphone with a sharp 6-7 peak. No software can fix that without messing up the sound. Sennheiser engineers probably listened to classical and jazz only while tuning HD700 but forgot about pop, rnb, EDM fans. Hopefully they release a HD700 S or HD750 so I can buy it. 
smile.gif
 (HD800 S has no peaks like regular HD800 so I believe that can do it somehow)

I think this is correct. The HD-700 are my go-to cans for classical, which I listen to more than everything else combined and is also what I hear live most often.

No complaints from me, as-is, with classical and (mostly) with jazz. With my tube OTL amp, there is enough roll-off at the high-end that I find the '700s work well for me with many other varieties of music. But with my SS amp, it's not a pleasant experience, even though I love that amp with other 'phones, like the HightHawks.

I periodically play around with EQ and sometimes just the right settings match-up with an album and make me say "Wow", but in the end I always go back to un-EQ'd playback.

I think my next step is an HD-800 for classical playback - would love that extra level of detail.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #7,194 of 9,298

I think this is correct. The HD-700 are my go-to cans for classical, which I listen to more than everything else combined and is also what I hear live most often.

No complaints from me, as-is, with classical and (mostly) with jazz. With my tube OTL amp, there is enough roll-off at the high-end that I find the '700s work well for me with many other varieties of music. But with my SS amp, it's not a pleasant experience, even though I love that amp with other 'phones, like the HightHawks.

I periodically play around with EQ and sometimes just the right settings match-up with an album and make me say "Wow", but in the end I always go back to un-EQ'd playback.

I think my next step is an HD-800 for classical playback - would love that extra level of detail.

Stuff like this kinda confuses me. Maybe it's because I use a tube amp, but I listen to pretty much nothing but metal and hip-hop with my 700s, no issues.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #7,195 of 9,298
Has anyone partnered HD 700 with Audio-gd nfb 11 ?

What are your impressions ?

I currently use a Hifiman HE400i. I really like the sound of these headphones, but they are not the most comfortable pair of headphones. I'm considering buying a Sennheiser HD 700 as it perfectly suits my budget and I prefer fast sound than warm sound.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #7,196 of 9,298
  I'm about to sell my Audio Technica R70x and Senn HD25-ii and get a pair of HD700. What do you guys reckon? I'm driving my headphones through Asus Xonar STX II with Burson V5 opamps.

Only you will be able to make that decision but I used to use a STX with my HD-700 for gaming and it worked quite well.

Some say the HD-600 and HD-650 are quite similar, to me they are quite different based on my experience owning both.  I've since sold the HD-600 and found much better.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #7,197 of 9,298

I'm like you, HD-700 for classical is pretty sweet but once I got the HD-800 and SR-009 the HD-700 mainly get used for jazz.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7,198 of 9,298
  Only you will be able to make that decision but I used to use a STX with my HD-700 for gaming and it worked quite well.

Some say the HD-600 and HD-650 are quite similar, to me they are quite different based on my experience owning both.  I've since sold the HD-600 and found much better.

The 650-600 difference exists, but it's wildly overstated. The 600 is a brighter 650, the 650 is a warmer 600. It's not even a massive difference, about 5% or so.

I think enthusiasts here tend to really exaggerate differences in products because people closely scrutinize and analyze what they listen to (hey, that's part of the hobby). Sure, some headphones really are night and day different, if you listen to like a Beyer DT800 vs Audioquest Nighthawk that's a huge damn difference. Open vs closed gives a very different experience. Stuff like 650 vs 600, AKG K701 vs K702, Philips X1 vs X2? Shades of difference, that's all. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #7,199 of 9,298

The 650-600 difference exists, but it's wildly overstated. The 600 is a brighter 650, the 650 is a warmer 600. It's not even a massive difference, about 5% or so.

I think enthusiasts here tend to really exaggerate differences in products because people closely scrutinize and analyze what they listen to (hey, that's part of the hobby). Sure, some headphones really are night and day different, if you listen to like a Beyer DT800 vs Audioquest Nighthawk that's a huge damn difference. Open vs closed gives a very different experience. Stuff like 650 vs 600, AKG K701 vs K702, Philips X1 vs X2? Shades of difference, that's all. 

Since we all hear differently and have our own scale your 5% could be my 15%, and I said "they are quite different" which is not the same as "massive difference" IMO.

Why are we having this conversation, this is the HD-700 thread.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #7,200 of 9,298
  Since we all hear differently and have our own scale your 5% could be my 15%, and I said "they are quite different" which is not the same as "massive difference" IMO.

Why are we having this conversation, this is the HD-700 thread.

That's a good question, why did you bring it up indeed. Perhaps you should in fact have stayed on topic, yes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back