Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #7,159 of 9,298
Do you have any contact info? If you sent money via gift, it should still show you the name of the recipient in paypal. Unfortunately, with gift, you have no protections.
From his ad

http://www.head-fi.org/t/826153/sennheiser-hd700

Send Josh, $300 thru PayPal as gift, to be shipped to Canada...and waiting for 'any' information ... hopefully he is ok?

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #7,164 of 9,298
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #7,165 of 9,298
  Think I'm going to try a LD then at first. But I'm afraid of spending to much money on good tubes ^^

The LD is a very good choice. The designers of these amps deliberately chose tubes that not commonly used in audio. And thus, they are not all that expensive. You can get a very good sound for considerably less than $50 in total, for two drivers and two output tubes. There is lots of good information in the LD tube rolling forum and the natives are very friendly and helpful.

On the other hand, the Crack, Elise, Woo and other manufacturers have designed their amps around tubes that are commonly used in audio. And as a consequence, the demand for these tubes is high and the prices can get pretty crazy, as high as several hundred dollars each for some of the most sought after tubes.

For the money, an LD is very hard to beat. Enjoy. :)

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #7,166 of 9,298
I auditioned HD700 on HDVD 800... I was hoping to like it because it's sold at really good prices these days. I liked the resolution and fidelity it has but treble was ear piercing on edm and pop. Drake's Hotline Bling was not an easy listen. The bass was good, however. I also tried HD800 S. In comparison, HD800 S was much smoother while still being very precise and higher resolution than HD700. Anyway, not a headphone for me...

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #7,167 of 9,298
The LD is a very good choice. The designers of these amps deliberately chose tubes that not commonly used in audio. And thus, they are not all that expensive. You can get a very good sound for considerably less than $50 in total, for two drivers and two output tubes. There is lots of good information in the LD tube rolling forum and the natives are very friendly and helpful.

On the other hand, the Crack, Elise, Woo and other manufacturers have designed their amps around tubes that are commonly used in audio. And as a consequence, the demand for these tubes is high and the prices can get pretty crazy, as high as several hundred dollars each for some of the most sought after tubes.

For the money, an LD is very hard to beat. Enjoy. :)
I don't know which tubes the LD uses but trust that they are not the usual audio choices. As an inveterate tube roller collector hoarder you are also quite correct about the demand for and high prices that certain commonly used audio tubes realize. But and you knew a but was coming, you can choose less expensive tubes that sound good. You mentioned the Elise, I know they use the ubiquitous 6SN7,a very pretty sounding Sylvania GTB can be quite reasonable even less than current production. Another thing is that while I appreciate your rolling forum thread ,the knowledge base given common tubes is comprehensive.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #7,168 of 9,298
I own an LD, a 6SN7/6AS7 OTL, and more than 1000 tubes, so I have some experience in this matter...

The original poster was afraid of spending too much money on good tubes. Again, some of the best tubes one can buy for an LD are incredibly cheap. For example, how about $10 for a pair of 6HM5 and $25 for a pair of 6N6P-IR.

If one owns an Elise, yes, $35 will get you a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTB, but the best tubes go for considerably more. And then, it is necessary to spend still more to purchase output tubes.

Don't get me wrong. I think an Elise is a best buy if one wants a 6SN7/6AS7 OTL. But if one wants an inexpensive tube amp which uses inexpensive tubes, an LD simply cannot be beat.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #7,169 of 9,298
I received a 21-day free trail from Sonarworks for their headphone EQ plug-in. They finally have a pre-defined curve for the HD-700, so I decided to bite. Honestly, I didn't want to mess with the HD-650 + tube sound, but with the HD-700s I previously found them unlistenable when using my solid-state amp.

Holy crap... what a difference. Listening to John Coltrane's "Ballads", the brushes and high-hats sound like the real thing, as best as I can remember (it's been a while since I've been to a live jazz performance).

Not to sound like a shill or anything, but I can see why the folks on the HD-650 thread have been raving about this software for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back