Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #6,826 of 9,326
  I'm going to go ahead and say it's the pads. I compared my old split pads with the new ones: definitely had a difference.

Interesting, if a picture can show that it would be superb!

Sennheiser changed HD800's earpads between sn. 13xxx and 16xxx

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #6,827 of 9,326

Interesting, if a picture can show that it would be superb!

Sennheiser changed HD800's earpads between sn. 13xxx and 16xxx

​The pads aren't different in design, it's just that after more than a year of using the pads, the pads change quite substantially in shape. I'll get a picture once I get home.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #6,828 of 9,326
 Originally Posted by slex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the batch number near ?

Unfortunately I no longer have access to the brighter pair of the HD700, as the point was to get a pair for a neighbor who is moving out (sadly today).
I can say that the darker pair are Rev 1.0  & SN is in the 2,495,xxx,xxx range.

I had also gotten the brighter pair from Solarium on the forum, I don't know if he would have any info or not, but I found this...

Quote:
  I'm going crazy between my 2 versions of the HD700. I've been getting a LOT more treble fatigue on one than the other, and it seems overall brighter than the other as well. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Could each batch of HD700 vary that much in terms of FR dB's? Maybe that explains the difference in FR measurements across the board (especially purrin's). When I get treble fatigue on 700-A, I would switch to 700-B and the treble fatigue disappears. Wth? 700-A sounds more strident while 700-B sounds more smooth, I can't exactly tell a definite difference but I'm sure 700-A gives me more treble fatigue. Both boxes says version 1.0 with the same model number. Only difference is that I've been using 700-B more and have "broken in" the headphone for approximately 50 hours longer than 700-A, which I doubt will change anything. My ears if anything has been adjusted to the HD700 sound.

What's even more interesting is that the pair he sold me were his less-fatiguing ones, yet was the brighter of the two in my testing.
He got that pair (B) "purchased new on 1/22/15" as per the classified ad.

Would it not be logical to say that there is likely at least 3 clearly different HD700s?

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #6,830 of 9,326
  I'm going to go ahead and say it's the pads. I compared my old split pads with the new ones: definitely had a difference.

The site that-is-not-to-be-named has a mod on just the pads that apparently fixes the ringing in the 700, so you are probably right. Involves a bunch of sewing though so I am out!

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #6,831 of 9,326
I have gotten a second pair of HD700, and strangely enough they sound significantly different.

The first pair I had have very good clarity, and a more of a bright lean/ larger treble spike.
The second pair are more similar to the HD650: a little dark, little treble spike, a little more bass.

I don't know what causes this, but I like them both. Neither has any visible mods.

I would be curious to know; have you checked the authenticity code to verify they are not imitated? I can't believe they would sound THAT much different. Also, I would be curious to know the difference in manufacturing dates for both your pairs. I have had mine for about 2 years now, and they sound more like your described first pair.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #6,835 of 9,326
I would be curious to know; have you checked the authenticity code to verify they are not imitated? I can't believe they would sound THAT much different. Also, I would be curious to know the difference in manufacturing dates for both your pairs. I have had mine for about 2 years now, and they sound more like your described first pair.

I did check the codes on them when I got either. They are both legit. I don't know how to check manufacture dates, and really can't on the brighter pair (see last post).

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #6,836 of 9,326

​The pads aren't different in design, it's just that after more than a year of using the pads, the pads change quite substantially in shape. I'll get a picture once I get home.

Old and worn pads can make a huge difference on a headphone's optimum performance, this applies even more with phones such as the HD700s and HD800s with their angled drivers.
Almost all headphones will change their perceived tonal characteristics a little or even dramatically just from their centering in relation to the ear canal, this of course applies more so with dynamic drivers than planar magnetic with their wider distribution of the wave forms. I’ve found the HD700s and 800s with my ears will sound more tizzy pushed back, easily heard with music which has repeating maracas or sustained cymbals for example, pushing the phones/drivers more forward reduces the effect, so I can imagine that the perceived deference would be increased with worn and flattened pads.
I remember when replacing the worn pads on my HD580/600s almost transformed them, air, sound-staging and imaging which I hadn’t noticed deteriorate over time was back.  

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #6,837 of 9,326
The site that-is-not-to-be-named has a mod on just the pads that apparently fixes the ringing in the 700, so you are probably right. Involves a bunch of sewing though so I am out!
It really wasn't that hard to do at all. It did help at with the peaks a bit but to me muddied the bass too much that I bought a new set of pads and with the Crack I'm glad I did.

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #6,838 of 9,326
Agree about the sewing being pretty easy. For me, smoothing out the peaks transformed the HD700 from tolerable to enjoyable, and to my ears, a bit more bass is just frosting on the cake. But of courses, my ears and my gear. YMMV. :)

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #6,839 of 9,326
Agree about the sewing being pretty easy. For me, smoothing out the peaks transformed the HD700 from tolerable to enjoyable, and to my ears, a bit more bass is just frosting on the cake. But of courses, my ears and my gear. YMMV. :)
I have not tried them with the Crack yet. There is no need for more bass with the Crack as it is all would want and the pad mod seemed to distort it for me that was out of a Liquid Carbon. Yes your ears your gear. We are rearranging the Theatre room and they have goon missing for now but I'll dig them out in a bit to try them out on a different setup. Just got a very unexpected bonus at work so that could be very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back