Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #6,466 of 9,298

Thank you! I don't understand the bold sentence. So you mean it's not neutral, and flat/or not? What's the sound signature of 700?
How about it compared to 598? I found I was pretty sensitive to smoothness of sound. I cannot like 598 and Philips X2 since I just feel them sound digitally, not smooth. Is this what you mean of "metallic tinge"? Somehow like BA drivers' sound? I'm sensitive to that kind of sound and dislike it. :frowning2:

These are not neutral sounding headphones like the HD-600, they are fun sounding, if you ever heard the HD-800 then the HD-700 is similar in tone but a little more musical IMO.  Compared to the HD-598 and X2 the HD-700 is smoother (less grain) than both, better extended in the bass and treble, more dynamic and a great sound stage but they can sound digital like depending on your audio chain.  If you are sensitive to treble then the HD-700 is not something I would recommend.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #6,467 of 9,298
  These are not neutral sounding headphones like the HD-600, they are fun sounding, if you ever heard the HD-800 then the HD-700 is similar in tone but a little more musical IMO.  Compared to the HD-598 and X2 the HD-700 is smoother (less grain) than both, better extended in the bass and treble, more dynamic and a great sound stage but they can sound digital like depending on your audio chain.  If you are sensitive to treble then the HD-700 is not something I would recommend.

Great news it's better than 598 and X2. Yeah, I'm very sensitive to those grainy sound. Cannot endure it.
I didn't hear 800. So what's its sound signature? V-shape? M-shape? L-shape? Gaussian?

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #6,469 of 9,298

Great news it's better than 598 and X2. Yeah, I'm very sensitive to those grainy sound. Cannot endure it.
I didn't hear 800. So what's its sound signature? V-shape? M-shape? L-shape? Gaussian?

If you are treble sensitive, you should consider HD650 instead.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #6,472 of 9,298

Thank you! I don't understand the bold sentence. So you mean it's not neutral, and flat/or not? What's the sound signature of 700?
How about it compared to 598? I found I was pretty sensitive to smoothness of sound. I cannot like 598 and Philips X2 since I just feel them sound digitally, not smooth. Is this what you mean of "metallic tinge"? Somehow like BA drivers' sound? I'm sensitive to that kind of sound and dislike it. :frowning2:

I can hear what he is talking about, in regards to the treble also. What I hear is that these headphones have less grain than most dynamic headphones currently on the market, but because of the peak in the upper range, sometimes that treble can sound VERY dry. High-hats, and splash symbols (that sometimes take center stage over the music) are (other) examples of when I hear this particularly dry sound. 

So when I said (earlier) that I used some eq to tune out that peak, it wasn't because I hear any sibilance (because I don't, unless the recording already has it), this is the reason why. I am trying to combat that very dry sound that I hear now and again on some super heavy treble sounds in the recording.

At first listen, some might say that the HD700 is "V" or even "U" shaped, but if you listen to them for a while, you might find (as do I) that it is not shaped this way. I believe the mids to be layered (as part of the soundstage), that is very enjoyable to my ears. So, in essence you might find the mids to be recessed, but powerful at the same time. They (the mids) are definitely not dominate like, say the Momentum line of headphones, but just as buttery smooth.

To me, the HD700s are much better than the HD800, because they are very close (to my ears) to the quality of sound of the HD800, but are more fun. I also have never been much of a fan of neutral headphones. Plus the fact that you can have the (near) sound quality of the HD800 right out of a portable DSD/hi def player without HAVING to amp it, is worth the extra money that I paid compared to people buying them today for cheaper. So, I would say that, that alone makes them a really good buy (especially for the price they are asking nowadays). Because, while more forgiving than the HD800 of amps used, they are still pretty picky on recording quality (as any high end headphone with super detail retrieval should be).

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #6,473 of 9,298

I can hear what he is talking about, in regards to the treble also. What I hear is that these headphones have less grain than most dynamic headphones currently on the market, but because of the peak in the upper range, sometimes that treble can sound VERY dry. High-hats, and splash symbols (that sometimes take center stage over the music) are (other) examples of when I hear this particularly dry sound. 

So when I said (earlier) that I used some eq to tune out that peak, it wasn't because I hear any sibilance (because I don't, unless the recording already has it), this is the reason why. I am trying to combat that very dry sound that I hear now and again on some super heavy treble sounds in the recording.

At first listen, some might say that the HD700 is "V" or even "U" shaped, but if you listen to them for a while, you might find (as do I) that it is not shaped this way. I believe the mids to be layered (as part of the soundstage), that is very enjoyable to my ears. So, in essence you might find the mids to be recessed, but powerful at the same time. They (the mids) are definitely not dominate like, say the Momentum line of headphones, but just as buttery smooth.

To me, the HD700s are much better than the HD800, because they are very close (to my ears) to the quality of sound of the HD800, but are more fun. I also have never been much of a fan of neutral headphones. Plus the fact that you can have the (near) sound quality of the HD800 right out of a portable DSD/hi def player without HAVING to amp it, is worth the extra money that I paid compared to people buying them today for cheaper. So, I would say that, that alone makes them a really good buy (especially for the price they are asking nowadays). Because, while more forgiving than the HD800 of amps used, they are still pretty picky on recording quality (as any high end headphone with super detail retrieval should be).

​Thank you very much for detailed explanation! Ok, I'll try to get an opportunity to listen to it.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #6,474 of 9,298

The 700's out of my QP1R is just great. It likes the Yggy and Liquid Carbon a bit better but not by much.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #6,475 of 9,298
The 700's out of my QP1R is just great. It likes the Yggy and Liquid Carbon a bit better but not by much.

Oh, for sure, they DO sound better out of an amp (especially a good one), but I haven't found one that makes it WAAAAY better yet. Heck, I think they actually sound pretty good out of (the newest gen) iPod touch. LOL Generally I listen straight out of my FiiO X5 (first gen), or FiiO X3II, and think they sound VERY good.

So far the best (portable(ish) setup I have found is: Laptop > USB out > FiiO E17> HD700 (also use the E17K, but doesn't sound quite as good). This sounds really good IMO. When listening to hi def files, my ears are not discerning enough (might be an age thing for me hehe) to tell (major differences) between this amp, and say a WA9, or BH Crack. They ARE there, but for the money... diminishing returns definitely is a factor here. YMMV though....

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #6,476 of 9,298
  Oh, for sure, they DO sound better out of an amp (especially a good one), but I haven't found one that makes it WAAAAY better yet. Heck, I think they actually sound pretty good out of (the newest gen) iPod touch. LOL Generally I listen straight out of my FiiO X5 (first gen), or FiiO X3II, and think they sound VERY good.

So far the best (portable(ish) setup I have found is: Laptop > USB out > FiiO E17> HD700 (also use the E17K, but doesn't sound quite as good). This sounds really good IMO. When listening to hi def files, my ears are not discerning enough (might be an age thing for me hehe) to tell (major differences) between this amp, and say a WA9, or BH Crack. They ARE there, but for the money... diminishing returns definitely is a factor here. YMMV though....
Yes YMMV but I think the QP1R is heads and shoulders above any Fiio product and most A&K's for that matter. I have heard all Fiio's and all but the newest A&K and will take the QP1R every time. That is MHO YMMV.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #6,477 of 9,298
They sound great from my Fiio x7 with am5 amp. I use this as my primary source for all my headphones, actually.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #6,478 of 9,298
Yes YMMV but I think the QP1R is heads and shoulders above any Fiio product and most A&K's for that matter. I have heard all Fiio's and all but the newest A&K and will take the QP1R every time. That is MHO YMMV.

I have not had a chance to audition the QP1R. I may have to check around and see if I can. It looks like an interesting device for sure. I would LOVE to have an A&K, but there is no way in hell that I can justify the cost of one of those (would have to have at least the features that my FiiO devices have). 
They sound great from my Fiio x7 with am5 amp. I use this as my primary source for all my headphones, actually.

I also have not had a chance to audition the newest FiiO devices (X7 and A1). I quit buying them when they refused to fix the features that make it so difficult to use (and discontinued my X5 after only a year(ish)). But the problem is that, other than maybe the DX90, I have yet to find the quality (both build, AND sound) that matches the price tag on the FiiO devices. Everything with equal sound, and features is 2 times or more the price.

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #6,479 of 9,298

The QP1R sounds like a very interesting DAP after reading about it.  How would you say it compares with a BF 4490 and BH Crack, about the same price?

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #6,480 of 9,298
The QP1R sounds like a very interesting DAP after reading about it.  How would you say it compares with a BF 4490 and BH Crack, about the same price?
I'll just put it this way . I had a Teac UD-301 and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and I would pic the QP1R all day long but adding the Yggdrasil it is much more in every department IMHO. I don't know if other DAC's would do but the Yggy killed it as it should for the money I spent. It is not that I paid for it that it sounded better it just does. I was looking for a setup that sounded as good as the QP1R and this is jist better , The QP1R is just about the best sounding Dap's out there . I have not heard them all but it is damn good at three times the price for sure. I would love to have the X7's interface and streaming but it doesn't come close to the sound quality. These are my opinions so that is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back