Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #6,481 of 9,298
I'll just put it this way . I had a Teac UD-301 and a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and I would pic the QP1R all day long but adding the Yggdrasil it is much more in every department IMHO. I don't know if other DAC's would do but the Yggy killed it as it should for the money I spent. It is not that I paid for it that it sounded better it just does. I was looking for a setup that sounded as good as the QP1R and this is jist better , The QP1R is just about the best sounding Dap's out there . I have not heard them all but it is damn good at three times the price for sure. I would love to have the X7's interface and streaming but it doesn't come close to the sound quality. These are my opinions so that is what it is.

Thanks for the reply, I've heard the Yggy and I agree its better than the UD-301 (but not 6x better) but for my sound preferences the Hugo TT, Master 7 and Pagoda are the ones that I liked.  I got to try those DACs at a friends house with some great amps that included a Liquid Gold, Liquid Glass, EC Balancing Act, and a few others.  The HD-700 with the Pagoda and Liquid Glass was heaven, very dynamic, great sub bass, smooth mids and highs that I liked better than the HD-800 on this setup. 

Since I don't use a DAP very often (once or twice in 2-3 months) and its only for when I'm traveling sound quality is not critical due to the environment and headphones that I travel with (QC-15, XS or Momentum) so the Fiio X3/X3ii is more than adequate, but I can see for someone who is using a DAP everyday and with better headphones the QP1R makes sense.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #6,482 of 9,298

Thank you! I don't understand the bold sentence. So you mean it's not neutral, and flat/or not? What's the sound signature of 700?
How about it compared to 598? I found I was pretty sensitive to smoothness of sound. I cannot like 598 and Philips X2 since I just feel them sound digitally, not smooth. Is this what you mean of "metallic tinge"? Somehow like BA drivers' sound? I'm sensitive to that kind of sound and dislike it. :frowning2:

If you want smooth, this isn't the headphone to go IMO. Try the 650 if I were you. That being said, it's not grainy at all: there's no 'fake' detail added in for the sake of detail. 598's were actually 'sorta' close to the HD700? Just imagine better bass, soundstage and that peaky treble.

It's not neutral compared to the HD600 (which is practically everyone's reference for 'neutral'). It's much more fun in that bass is more than just there, and the treble will either create magic or destroy the music. Imagine the difference between older classical recordings and modern ones: the old ones sounded shrilly on the HD700 (and thus my obsession with finding the 'perfect' renditions of my classical music), whereas the modern classical recordings which tend to be more subtle on the high-end are excellent on the HD700.

If you can try the HD700 out, give it a try between solid-state and tube amps. Seems to be quite an important factor for some folks here: some hate it with solid-state amps, whereas others don't care at all.

Nailed it, agree with every point but would like to add one more strength: not as amp picky as HD-800 and T1

It's a lot easier to run the HD700 through your headphone jack compared to either headphones. Much easier. As in, if I top out the volume slider on my phone, I'm gonna go deaf. It'll sound a bit like it's winded a bit (kinda like a transient lag with the headphones, highs in musics don't sparkle as much).

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #6,483 of 9,298
It's a lot easier to run the HD700 through your headphone jack compared to either headphones. Much easier. As in, if I top out the volume slider on my phone, I'm gonna go deaf. It'll sound a bit like it's winded a bit (kinda like a transient lag with the headphones, highs in musics don't sparkle as much).

This is why I like them so much for watching movies, driven by my HT receiver its still great sounding and love the sound stage.

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #6,484 of 9,298

This is why I like them so much for watching movies, driven by my HT receiver its still great sounding and love the sound stage.

When I watch movies, I require a sub that announces to everyone that I'm watching a movie. But then again, that's why houses exist. :)

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #6,486 of 9,298
  When I watch movies, I require a sub that announces to everyone that I'm watching a movie. But then again, that's why houses exist. :)

While I absolutely love these headphones for games, I tend to agree with you for movies. I DO like them now and again for movies, but most times I love having the sub (and surround speakers too) to "feel" the sound also.

But, I also don't use them for gaming as much as I used to either. I use a 42" tv/monitor and a sound bar w/sub and surrounds in my computer room. I guess you could say that I have given myself many options. 

As to travelling, I will usually take either my Piston 2.1s, or my Momentum wireless (if not both, again for options).

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,487 of 9,298
Jul 7, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #6,488 of 9,298
Oh no, I just want to piss my neighbours (and family) off.
wink.gif

Been there, done that
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #6,489 of 9,298
Oh no, I just want to piss my neighbours (and family) off. :wink:
I have a 15" sub and then a 8" for each front speakers and my rears have powered woofers in them Infinity Overture 2. I just piss my wife off unless we are watching a movie then she loves them.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #6,490 of 9,298
I have a 15" sub and then a 8" for each front speakers and my rears have powered woofers in them Infinity Overture 2. I just piss my wife off unless we are watching a movie then she loves them.

Shhh! You are giving away "man" secrets to the women. They don't know we have things that we do for revenge for asking us to do dumb crap....:)

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #6,491 of 9,298
  Shhh! You are giving away "man" secrets to the women. They don't know we have things that we do for revenge for asking us to do dumb crap....:)
Oops my bad ; )

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #6,492 of 9,298

From my perspective.

Strengths:

- Very clean midrange: HD700 is among the cleanest sounding headphones I've tried.
  It's so clean that it makes the music feel simpler. Two steps over DT880, one step over K702, one step below HD800 in this regard.

- Detailed orientated yet relatively easy on the ears: the subdued upper midrange and slightly softer treble than HD800 makes the HD700 a more forgiving headphone than its more expensive sibling while still retaining a very detailed character.

- Treble extension: as extended as possible, on par with DT880 and HD800, a step over K702. Extended treble stands for an airy presentation.

- Warm, punchy bass: more linear and precise than HD650's bass, while retaining most of the thick, all-rounder tonality.

- Big soundstage: Among the best here as well, similar to K702 in the big scheme of things.

- Top class confort and relatively secure fit (HD800 is a bit loose in comparison)

Weaknesses:

- Not among the most neutral headphones: the trade off for most of it's musicality and non intrusive, yet detailed presentation is neutrality. Not great as a tool to judge recordings' balance.

- Treble quality: there's something off about HD700's treble. It's splashy, not overly loud, but unrefined, less realistic than it should. Some recordings will expose this more than others. The sound of clappings for instance tends to sound fake or plastic next to DT880 or HD800. While not a deal breaker for me, I consider this as HD700's main downfall.

Yeah, that's the best description of the HD-700 I've read, with my experience with related cans (minus the DT880 - I haven't listened to these).

Every once is a while, I will hear something with the '700s that sounds unnatural and I think it's what you are describing with the treble. I confine the HD-700 to classical, jazz and ambient/electronic listening and I don't experience the issue, but whenever I listen to something like metal or acoustic, I hear that "...what's that sound?" effect.

EDIT: and I think this is why the HD-700s sound do great with the right tube amp - it smooths out the treble issue and makes the 'phones more listenable (actually, really enjoyable and almost neutral sounding, I think).

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #6,493 of 9,298

If you want smooth, this isn't the headphone to go IMO. Try the 650 if I were you. That being said, it's not grainy at all: there's no 'fake' detail added in for the sake of detail. 598's were actually 'sorta' close to the HD700? Just imagine better bass, soundstage and that peaky treble.

It's not neutral compared to the HD600 (which is practically everyone's reference for 'neutral'). It's much more fun in that bass is more than just there, and the treble will either create magic or destroy the music. Imagine the difference between older classical recordings and modern ones: the old ones sounded shrilly on the HD700 (and thus my obsession with finding the 'perfect' renditions of my classical music), whereas the modern classical recordings which tend to be more subtle on the high-end are excellent on the HD700.

If you can try the HD700 out, give it a try between solid-state and tube amps. Seems to be quite an important factor for some folks here: some hate it with solid-state amps, whereas others don't care at all.

Thank you for the explanation!

Jul 12, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #6,494 of 9,298
Hey, gotta a pair of HD 700 running on a cheap dac/amp and I really wanna upgrade, my budget is laying around 500$, any tips?
I have been looking at JDS Labs The Element, but I can never make up my mind, please help!

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #6,495 of 9,298
  Hey, gotta a pair of HD 700 running on a cheap dac/amp and I really wanna upgrade, my budget is laying around 500$, any tips?
I have been looking at JDS Labs The Element, but I can never make up my mind, please help!

Teac UD-301, the amps section pairs quite well with the HD-700 and you can always get a better amp down the line.

Modi2uber and Project Ember:  Very flexible system that will be able to work with many different headphones along with the ability to roll tubes to tailor the sound to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back