Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,756 of 9,298
Somebody who can judge the sound of a headphone purely by looking at a graph without any listening has such a vastly different approach to things that I can't even begin to relate.

Judge, not necessarily.

Make educated guesses to help avoid purchasing something you will not enjoy? Absolutely. I knew I was going to hate this headphone stock well before I even thought about modding it.

I can't afford an HD800, so my choices for a truly good, treble-tilted headphone to complement my laid-back Sansuis are quite scarce. This is why I decided to give a shot at modding the HD700.

As for how that's going, well, none of my materials have arrived in the mail yet. I've attempted a preliminary anax-type mod with felt on them for now and got somewhat decent results. The ringing on the 6kHz peak calmed down a bit and the upper midrange dip seemed to flesh out slightly. However, the peak did not vanish, so I'll probably have to do something else for that. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any of my creatology foam. It got lost in my closet. The Dynamat will probably work better for that anyways.

In addition to that, I plugged the center bass port on the back of the transducer with some blutak. This almost completely got rid of the bass flab. Quite tight and decently extended after this.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #4,758 of 9,298
Guys and Gals, I know this is going to sound crazy but bear with me. I found an extremely simple way to reduce what I believe is the stabbing/jabbing/ringing effect that people find fatiguing due to the 5.5k spike on these phones.

Put the headphones on. Put your hands on the two cans, and slide the headphones toward the back of your head, so that your earlobe is touching/tucked into the front side of the padding. I did this accidentally tonight and it honest to god made a difference.

I have a bit of a problem with my inner-ears completely unrelated to my audio fixation, so I hope that this isn't just helping me due to some weird crap with my inner-ear.

Good luck!

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #4,759 of 9,298
Quote:

Sorry you took my comments personally. Thanks for your thoughts, you bring up an opinion others may have. I encouraged people who enjoy the 700's to post their opinions as well, so please keep that in mind. It's constructive to post positively and speak to ideas instead of berating me for how you believe I came to those ideas. Here is some info on Tyll Hertsens, one of the reviewers you mentioned. Also a link to the HD-700 measurements. Perhaps you'd be interested in reading why the graphs you posted (uncompensated) are misleading; here is that info. You may also be interested in googling "HD-700 csd plot" as it may provide you with some useful info for making meaningful posts in the future.

beerchug.gif

edit: also a link to the other reviewers you mentioned were critical of the headphones... I don't understand where you came to that conclusion, perhaps you can reread their review here.

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #4,760 of 9,298
A graph isn't everything, but it tells a fair story for its part with solid evidence.

Had HD700 once to experience that massive sucked out midrange. I'd live with a KSC75 and call it a day than suffering from HD700.

I'm out.

Edit: don't talk burn-in BS, my pair was second hand and had at least several hundred hours on them. For the source/amplification part, Auralic Taurus MKII+Vega changed nothing. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #4,761 of 9,298
Not sure if this is the right thread (i'm too new to be allowed to start a new thread), but my question is: in the same price range as the HD700, what are the alternatives - both open and closed back? 

In the market at the moment to completely overhaul my listening setup - dac, amp, headphones, the whole lot!

Thanks

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #4,762 of 9,298

They most likely will. :)

Also, don't base your first impression on how the 700's sound right out of the box. As I, and several others, have stated multiple times throughout this thread, the sound of the 700's changes very dramatically in the first 10 - 20 hours (especially in the mids). The first night I tried them, I was initially very disappointed with the HD700's. Despite always being a bit skeptical of burn-in, I had them play some pink noise when I went to bed and tried them again the night after (about 18 hours later). It sounded like a completely different pair of headphones. I couldn't be happier with them.

Xerber,
Thanks for your comments. I too thought of doing a burn-in with pink noise or some burn-in CD files that i used to use.

I had the same with my old ATH-M50's where out of the box they were like meh, but then eventually after a few hours of continous use they sounded much more better  and as of today they sound really splendid. The only grouse for me on that headphone was the coiled cable (the country where i was living in had only coiled cable imports) for which i am yet to do a mod with mogami quad or similar cables and the Pleather pads which i recently got the velour pads from Massdrop which changed the comfort of my headphones drastically... Not to derail this thread or anything but just quoting my experience.

This exactly........

Thanks Samandhi.

I'll repeat it again, there is no audible scoop in the mids, despite what the graphs say. These headphones are super warm with enhanced mids. Scooped mids, heh, no sorry but that isn't the case.

I guess i wont be noticing it too much even if there was since my benchamark would be the ATH-M50's which have more or less a v-shape sound signature.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #4,763 of 9,298
time to change your source . see reply from another forummer below.

Quote:
  A graph isn't everything, but it tells a fair story for its part with solid evidence.

Had HD700 once to experience that massive sucked out midrange. I'd live with a KSC75 and call it a day than suffering from HD700.

I'm out.

Edit: don't talk burn-in BS, my pair was second hand and had at least several hundred hours on them. For the source/amplification part, Auralic Taurus MKII+Vega changed nothing. 

Ok everyone, if you guys are done punching each other in face, I'd like to report that I took Oklahoma's advice, went to the nearest Best Buy Magnolia Design Center and tested out some stuff. 

I was pleasantly surprised that they had Audio Technica W1000's, some sony stuff, BeoPlay H6, Momentum 2.0 over ear wired and the HD700.

Test Conditions :
Hardware : Iphone 6+ with Tidal streaming lossless audio
Source : Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Metallica, Frank Sinatra, Bach (organ stuff), Beethoven (piano concerto's) 

W1000 and H6 : 
I immediately went for the BeoPlay and the W1000 because I wanted to get them out of the way. BeoPlay was alright but not something I would want to pay for, definitely sounded worse than the H8's that I tested at the Bang and Olufsen store, not very comfortable. W1000 sounded lifeless, probably because of no amplification but were very comfortable.  I did not care for them and moved on. 

Momentum 2.0 wired: 
Then went to the momentum. It was good all around, although people say they are uncomfortable, they have fit my head pretty nicely, my ears did fit in the cups and I was comfortable. It is hard for me to describe audio using attributes like tight,fuzzy,wide, sparkly etc.... so all I can say is, they felt like they did their thing for all genre's I played. Nothing sounded bad, or off. I was not put off by any of the notes, high, mid or low. 

HD700: 
I was very excited to test these, the guy (a very nice gentleman) who was helping me out immediately pointed out that they were gonna sound like crap without an amp... I said I know, but I want to hear for my self and put them on. First of all, yeah they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on. You don't even feel them on your head, its like someone brought two high quality speakers near your ears and holding them there. They are so open, I could feel the AC unit moving cold air by my ears. And They sounded like crap....I mean not broken, flappy or wrong, but sounded almost like if you do not push a stereo connector all the way in and lose the second audio channel and the other one gets to split over 2 speakers...kinda like that, lifeless and weak. So I said do you guys have a headphone amp? His response was come this way.... and 5 steps to the right there was a complete McIntosh rig sitting there. I plugged in to the receivers headphone output and.....

HD700 + Amp:
Listened to the same tracks again. Michael Jackson meh, AC/DC-Metallica good but not better than the Momentum, Frank Sinatra...wait a second these things sound pretty darn good and.......
Beethoven hit the stage. I must say that I have never ever heard a piano concerto sound that clear before. I felt like the piano was inside my head, that I could hear each and every note, the slight pressure variations on the keys as the notes sped up, they all became visible. I felt like I was listening to classical music underwater up until now and Hd700's just brought me outside and now I can hear everything. There was so much information available, I had to close my eyes to concentrate.  Just to make sure I was not being subjective to the very pretty tube and transformer filled 5 rack Mcintosh rig and the Senheisers, I ran and put the Momentum's back on and yes everything sounded muddy. Maybe amping the Momentum would also clear it up...I doubt it though. 

What I've got out of this audition:

For my liking HD700's perform exceptionally well with Classical and Big Band genre. Maybe they would do good with others using a different amp. I do not know if the amp can change the sound characteristic of a headphone that much. I also don't know if a McIntosh receiver is the best pairing for these cans. 

Overall I would love to have these through a nice tube amp and vinyl classical records, sitting on an Eames chair in front of a fireplace, sipping single malt scotch. 

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,765 of 9,298
  So, I picked up a HD700 in the classifieds today...but, before I bought it, I had auditioned them together with a HD650 and HD800 in a local audio store. Tried all 3 over there on a TEAC HA-501 amp (which I also have at home) and I also brought my DX90/Hugo stack with me...
The HD650 wasn't comfortable on my head and despite all the positive things I had read about them, they just didn't do it for me. The sound seemed muffled compared to the other 2 models.
The HD700 and HD800 were pretty close in sq performance to my ears. Of course the HD800 was the winner, but the gap in sq was much smaller than I would have expected based on their price.

When I have it here next week, I'm curious how it will hold up against my PS500 and MDR-Z7
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Kerouac…and welcome to the HD700 roster.

Good you used your ears…for me, with my ears and equipment the HD700 and HD800 are also very similar…the HD800 will pull out some finer details on very good recordings…but overall the HD700 are more than satisfying and being slightly less clinical allow me to listen more to the music than analyzing the equipment.

Guess which one I still own.
wink.gif

From personal experience and excluding the HD600/650, while still admirable phones but IMHO technically outdated… the current family resemblance would be as follows.

High end system….HD800  or HD700 (depends on  preferences, critical listening or chilling out)

Medium system  HD700 (depends on the quality of the source and amplification) or HD598

Direct off the computer or portable device …HD598s

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,766 of 9,298
  Hi Kerouac…and welcome to the HD700 roster.

Good you used your ears…for me, with my ears and equipment the HD700 and HD800 are also very similar…the HD800 will pull out some finer details on very good recordings…but overall the HD700 are more than satisfying and being slightly less clinical allow me to listen more to the music than analyzing the equipment.

Guess which one I still own.
wink.gif

Thanks for the welcome Rob80b and a very nice collection you have (or had) over there yourself in that pic
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, I always trust my own brain/ears over a graph in this kind of situations. When my ears trick me by telling it sounds great, well then I like to be tricked
biggrin.gif

Luckily I could test them also with the headphone amp I have at home and of course with my own favorite stack (DX90 + Chord Hugo). So, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it a lot when I have received them later on...

I also could hear that the HD800 performed on a higher level (have some hi-res files on my DX90) with good recordings, but as I mentioned before, to my ears the gap was not as big as I had expected based on their price tags...the HD700 was also more comfortable on my head. The one I bought in the classifieds also comes with an extra 120 cm ''portable + 1/8 plug'' cable, so I can easily use it with my dap(s) when I walk around at home

Btw, do the HD700 and HD800 use the same kind of cable connectors? Just asking in case I should decide to look for an upgrade cable for it later down the line...

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #4,767 of 9,298
Thanks for the welcome Rob80b and a very nice collection you have (or had) over there yourself in that pic :)

Yep, I always trust my own brain/ears over a graph in this kind of situations. When my ears trick me by telling it sounds great, well then I like to be tricked :D

Luckily I could test them also with the headphone amp I have at home and of course with my own favorite stack (DX90 + Chord Hugo). So, I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it a lot when I have received them later on...

I also could hear that the HD800 performed on a higher level (have some hi-res files on my DX90) with good recordings, but as I mentioned before, to my ears the gap was not as big as I had expected based on their price tags...the HD700 was also more comfortable on my head. The one I bought in the classifieds also comes with an extra 120 cm ''portable + 1/8 plug'' cable, so I can easily use it with my dap(s) when I walk around at home

Btw, do the HD700 and HD800 use the same kind of cable connectors? Just asking in case I should decide to look for an upgrade cable for it later down the line...

No to the last question: they're significantly different.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,768 of 9,298

Thanks for the welcome Rob80b and a very nice collection you have (or had) over there yourself in that pic
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately not, completely different.

HD700

HD800

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,769 of 9,298
Unfortunately not, completely different.

Quote:
No to the last question: they're significantly different.

Ah...thanks for both answers (and pics) on the cable question!
My impression on the stock cable build quality was positive, so I might stick to that one...

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4,770 of 9,298
    Quote:

Ah...thanks for both answers (and pics) on the cable question!
My impression on the stock cable build quality was positive, so I might stick to that one...

If you are good with DIY then you can build your own cables, the connectors for the HD-700 ($17) are fairly easy to work with, the HD-800 ($40) are a PITA and quite pricy.  The stock cable for the HD-700 is not the greatest, mine was always kinking.  The HD-800 stock cable seems to be much better but I built a new one anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back