Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #5,071 of 23,482
There are only two things to remember when driving a 911. Don't lift.

Mine is older.... air cooled / no traction control
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #5,072 of 23,482
  There are only two things to remember when driving a 911. Don't lift.

Mine is older.... air cooled / no traction control
biggrin.gif

I used to have a 1985 Mustang Gt with the 5.0L V8 with RWD. I upped the width of the tires keeping the same diameter and jacked up the cam shaft for more ponies. The car was wicked, the Holly 4 Barrel Carb was so big you could put your head inside of it. I once spun it around on wet leaves, no traction control, just me regaining control. I had to push my eyes back in their sockets once it was safe to freak out.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #5,073 of 23,482
I traded up my HD650 for a pair of 600's with a friend. I liked the HD650 a lot but I found myself always reaching for the LCD2 instead for the same music. I love the laid back but super neutral sound of the HD600, and having that bit more treble is perfect. These two Sennheisers are timeless, and I think my collection would ever be the same without either despite the "class" of other headphones joining it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #5,074 of 23,482
Hello everyone, im a newborn baby to this forum and to appreciating quality headphones. Many times when i read about good headphones, the name sennheiser always came up. A co worker of mines had the HD 25-1 model and he let me try them out and was a great listen. I enjoy balance when listening, i dont like too much bass if the song dosnt call for it, its hard to describe what i hope to find when it comes what i hear, as far as i do like treble but too much can ruin it for me, i like to be able to hear all the layers and small details in the music. Was curious to know if these are what im looking for or what other models i should try.

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #5,075 of 23,482
If you enjoy a balanced sound when listening then these are definitely for you. The HD600 bass is well behaved and never overpowered, while the midrange is to die for and very balanced throughout. The Treble is is slightly rolled off but not receeded at all. These headphones are imo the best value in high end audio, at least to my tastes. These are detailed but smooth at the same time. There are more detailed headphones though, but can break the bank.

Another one to consider is the Beyer DT880 but they have a lot more treble then these, but are very "detailed" for the price.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5,076 of 23,482
Guys, before I decide to get Crack or not I want to ask few questions.
- What is the sound for HD600+ Crack? Warm, neutral, bright? I read in review that Crack is neutral and fast. After spending times with warm amp and thick sound amp, I love warm, and fast sound. I afraid that the highs will be ear piercing in neutral amp, or perhaps Crack get them in control?
- Should I get the speedball or not for HD600? How much sound improvement from basic kit to speeball?
- What DAC recommended with crack and HD600, price wise about $300 and below. The cheaper the better.

Currently my alternative is LF 336C due to:
- Warm sound. But the downside is this amp more relax compared to Crack and I listened to heavy metal etc too.
- Easier to obtained and less hassle.

I'm open to other solid state amp for HD600 too within the same prize. Currently my DAC is Aune T1, upgrade in consideration. All my consideration done without listening to the mention amp. So, forgive me for my silly question. I just want to avoid too much upgradetitis.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #5,077 of 23,482
u can roll diff tubes into LF336 to get diff flavors...v versatile. 
i am loving my older darkvoice336se
high or low impedence cans, this amp never fail to impress me :p

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #5,078 of 23,482
  u can roll diff tubes into LF336 to get diff flavors...v versatile. 
i am loving my older darkvoice336se
high or low impedence cans, this amp never fail to impress me :p

Have you compare with crack before? I know Crack is the current fever and recommended but I wish getting Crack is as easy as getting LF. Having so much fun with tube rolling huh?

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #5,079 of 23,482
- What is the sound for HD600+ Crack? Warm, neutral, bright? I read in review that Crack is neutral and fast. After spending times with warm amp and thick sound amp, I love warm, and fast sound. I afraid that the highs will be ear piercing in neutral amp, or perhaps Crack get them in control?
- Should I get the speedball or not for HD600? How much sound improvement from basic kit to speeball?

I currently have the HD600 + Crack + Speedball combination and i love it.  It definitely has a warm tilt, although this may be more attributable to the HD600 than the Crack.  The Speedball helps to tighten up the bass and gives an overall 'quicker' presentation.  

It's hard to quantify how much better the Crack is in stock form vs. with the Speedball; I will say that with the Speedball, the sound becomes more immediate and engaging.  I loved the Crack in stock form though, to my ears it was more laid-back.  Speedball or stock, the treble was nicely rolled off and never 'piercing'.

I was going to say you could come over and try out my rig but I looked up your location and Malaysia is a bit far from Los Angeles 
darthsmile.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #5,080 of 23,482

Have you compare with crack before? I know Crack is the current fever and recommended but I wish getting Crack is as easy as getting LF. Having so much fun with tube rolling huh?

never heard crack b4 :p 
My csp2+ cant handle low impedence cans...which means half my arsenal cant be used. 
So its a point i would keep in mind in looking for a tube amp.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #5,081 of 23,482

I currently have the HD600 + Crack + Speedball combination and i love it.  It definitely has a warm tilt, although this may be more attributable to the HD600 than the Crack.  The Speedball helps to tighten up the bass and gives an overall 'quicker' presentation.  

It's hard to quantify how much better the Crack is in stock form vs. with the Speedball; I will say that with the Speedball, the sound becomes more immediate and engaging.  I loved the Crack in stock form though, to my ears it was more laid-back.  Speedball or stock, the treble was nicely rolled off and never 'piercing'.

I was going to say you could come over and try out my rig but I looked up your location and Malaysia is a bit far from Los Angeles 
darthsmile.gif

darthsmile.gif
I wish I have magic doors so I can step inside and arrive at LA in a blink. Okay, I get what you mean. Stock more laid back and with balls
biggrin.gif
, they're more engaging. Tilt warm means slightly warm is it? Or is it any chance that they're labelled as neutral because most of the reviewer usually exposed with warm amp? You use DAC or just iPod?

As long the treble doesn't pierce my ear, they should be enough. So, what you get from Speedball is thick, body, engaging and a controlled treble? This kind of sound really suit my needs.
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #5,082 of 23,482

never heard crack b4 :p 
My csp2+ cant handle low impedence cans...which means half my arsenal cant be used. 
So its a point i would keep in mind in looking for a tube amp.

So tube amp doesn't really suitable for lower impedance cans right... Well, I do have plan for portable can but I might get a portable amp for that purpose.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #5,083 of 23,482
  There is vintage junk and modern junk and then there is modern gear that is a step ahead. I don't think I'm "small minded" thank you.
I don't hear many folks upset with IM or TIM distortion, which is the worst, rather most go on about levels of THD that are academic and below our ability to perceive. I don't see OEMs disclosing these figures either.
As far as wallets go, in this hobby there is no hope, the HD800 is staring at me and I'm started to get hypnotized.

Absolutely :)

Only what I am stating is that $40-$50 spent on a good quality older dedicated amp is better than paying $400-$500 for a new HP amp imo and ime. Depending on the headphones used of course. Most hp amps are designed to cater for the full range of impedance. I've never heard an hp amp that is exceptional for both low and high impedance hp's. So it makes sense to me to design them to suite one or the other. 300 ohm cans require big voltage swings for the dynamics and 32 ohm cans need lots of current for the same reason. Older amps suit the 300 ohm HD600's because they have tube like impedance values. This gives very good dynamics and control, they never sound lacking or struggle with complicated passages. So all I'm offering is an alternative for peeps who don't have the wonga of some on here. New amps and higher prices are escalating feverishly at the moment and I for one am not getting caught up in the consumerism of it all. In the 1970's there was for a short spell in the history of 'hifi' a period of quality over quantity. Good hifi was an elite hobby and so manufacturers spent time making the best quality possible, as it was not mass marketed like today - there was no corners cut. Makes such as Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood are all really poor quality compared to what they were 35 years ago.
Of course SQ is always subjective. But it seems to me that most of us end up preferring a musical sound that is detailed and refined. Over the harder analytical 'extract as much resolution as poss' approach that we have seen in the last ten years or so in regards to amplification and source. We buy a headphone such as the HD800 that is capable of hearing mice clean their private parts in the next building to the studio and then tame the sound with tubes because it is too transparent and cold sounding on modern equipment. Vintage gear ime offers a SQ that was all about the music. Not the small unessesary details, but the organic timbre as opposed to synthetic. Same with TV's, I don't want to watch the Hobbit with the same resolution as watching a soap opera... Newer technology is only an advancement when it subjectively seems to be. Magnetic tape is still the best sound quality available with the 'uber' high end guys and cd's have come and are going since that technology. Anyone prefer The sound of Records? 

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #5,084 of 23,482
- What DAC recommended with crack and HD600, price wise about $300 and below. The cheaper the better.

Currently my alternative is LF 336C due to:
- Warm sound. But the downside is this amp more relax compared to Crack and I listened to heavy metal etc too.
- Easier to obtained and less hassle.

I'm open to other solid state amp for HD600 too within the same prize. Currently my DAC is Aune T1, upgrade in consideration. All my consideration done without listening to the mention amp. So, forgive me for my silly question. I just want to avoid too much upgradetitis.

I have not heard of the Crack, but had the 336 before and now the 339. I think the 336 is absolutely great with the Sennheiser, and it has endless tube choices as it uses the 6sn7. I listen to a fair bit of progressive rock and I never felt the combo being slow (that said, I normally reach out for an Alessandro when I listen to those genres).

If you read Headfonia's reviews, the Crack was slightly more preferred than the 336 due to their personal preference if I recall, but the 336 is cheaper and it is built while the Crack is a DIY. The 339 on the other hand is their favourite 
L3000.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #5,085 of 23,482

I have not heard of the Crack, but had the 336 before and now the 339. I think the 336 is absolutely great with the Sennheiser, and it has endless tube choices as it uses the 6sn7. I listen to a fair bit of progressive rock and I never felt the combo being slow (that said, I normally reach out for an Alessandro when I listen to those genres).

If you read Headfonia's reviews, the Crack was slightly more preferred than the 336 due to their personal preference if I recall, but the 336 is cheaper and it is built while the Crack is a DIY. The 339 on the other hand is their favourite 
L3000.gif

LF 339... Auww
smily_headphones1.gif
That's out of my league, cost me $600 here... BTW, Grado considered as aggressive can right? Maybe it's a suitable match? How does DV 336 sound with HD600 and I wish you can share your tube rolling experience. Deep inside, I wish 336 tube rolling can outperform Crack or at least sit next to each other.

BTW, since you used to listened to both of 336 and 339, mind to share your impressions for these two? Oh my... I'd been spamming here and there asking question.
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back