Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #22,501 of 23,425
I like a lot of things about them. Foremost:

Piano timbre from top to bottom. Lots of $1k cans can't do it.

Plug and play. I would rather listen to my HE-500's and 6 SE on most music - but they required much time and effort in mods and EQ to get them that way. 600 likes fresh pads.

But, they are much more musical with a better more defined stage (although it's not quite right), more bass between 35-70 Hz, and the occasional spareness/ascetic edge in the treble is gone (very possibly amp owns some of that - with my OTL tube amp and the same story is echoed by others. Is there more harmonic distortion? Sure. Is any recording/mixing/transcription 100% accurate? 15 ips with 3 ribbon mics in a great Hall, with no spotlight mics? Maybe the best attainable - but even that isn't 100%.

In the 80's we were told that 16/144 contained all the musical information that was needed. So 192, 384, 768 and 24 bits is just marketing and voodoo? Face it the recording/playback chain is far from perfect so trying to reproduce that is what? It's off the mark in terms of music as heard. I wasn't happy with tube amps on speakers because they were not the same top to bottom (mushy bass and reticent highs). But small signal tubes in pre amps and headphone amps - that's different. I still prefer SS, but on the HD-600 and 800, they sound less like music than the stock BHC at my ears - even 3 SS amps that cost $1695 or more.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #22,502 of 23,425
Hi Guys I bought my first pair of HD600 4 months ago Through a seller that sold them in perfect condition.
The first mod I made was the cable change...I bought HD650 cable..
Then it was the turn of the pads (original Senn pads).
During this period of time I tested HD with rock and pop music..
My Actual setup is Minipc>Daphile>Topping D50>LP G111 (SS amlifier)
I like music when has a crisp sound and undistorted but I hate HARSHNESS and fatiguing listening experience.
My issue with so called "Bright sound" is that can make the whole thing sound thin.
Harsh/Thin/Metallic/ lacking in Midrange (the Body)
Talking about HD 600 performance,I notice there's a peak (slight peak) on 3000k Frequencies..
If a record sounds thin and bright on my actual setup,the problem is on the mastering?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #22,503 of 23,425
HD600 are studio cans, they will reveal bad recording/mastering

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #22,504 of 23,425
Hi Guys I bought my first pair of HD600 4 months ago Through a seller that sold them in perfect condition.
I like music when has a crisp sound and undistorted but I hate HARSHNESS and fatiguing listening experience.
My issue with so called "Bright sound" is that can make the whole thing sound thin.
Talking about HD 600 performance,I notice there's a peak (slight peak) on 3000k Frequencies..
If a record sounds thin and bright on my actual setup,the problem is on the mastering?
Ime using transformer based linear power suplies instead of the noisy switching power suplies that comes with the dac (in your case probably also your mini pc) makes the listening experience less fatiguing. Like a Topping P50 or a cheaper chinese one from Ali Express. You get a smoother sound and better dynamics without loosing resolution or clarity. It will not make bad recordings good, but can imo make bad recordings more tolerable to listen to with the HD600.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #22,505 of 23,425
T
A ‘thin and bright’ sound could be from the mastering. Your system certainly has great components at the listening end (G111, HD600). It could be your source end that is letting you down. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #22,507 of 23,425
Just listening to Led Zeppelin I CD Atlantic 1988 mastered by Diament..I notice Hi-Hat and Crush have the same sibilant Harsh sound..Flac are 15/14 RMS and At 11 o clock on My LP G111 (with Gain set on 0 by default) the volume Is too much..It's almost inaudibile and It's too Harsh..

I haven't heard many versions but the recordings on a lot of Zeppelin are not very good. Most of the drums don't sound like drums unless I listen with an extremely fast pair of headphones. In some ways the recordings are very live-sounding and engaging, but there are also a lot of faults.

For a pair of HD 600s, 0 dB on your Lake People might be too much. Try backing off to -6 dB and see if it helps.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #22,508 of 23,425
T

A ‘thin and bright’ sound could be from the mastering. Your system certainly has great components at the listening end (G111, HD600). It could be your source end that is letting you down. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, is frustrating when you try a lot of headphones with that album you absolutely love, to realize that the issue is the album itself, and not the headphones... :thinking:

Nov 5, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #22,509 of 23,425
Just listening to Led Zeppelin I CD Atlantic 1988 mastered by Diament..I notice Hi-Hat and Crush have the same sibilant Harsh sound..Flac are 15/14 RMS and At 11 o clock on My LP G111 (with Gain set on 0 by default) the volume Is too much..It's almost inaudibile and It's too Harsh..
I banished all CD's outside of a few audiophile jobs from that era or before. The mastering got better later.

I have found 600's a bit ascetic/thin in the treble on my Ragnarok 1. A bit less on 2 other high prices SS amps. Not at all on my BHCs - tube OTL amp as some others agree.

My DAC is very analog, so that's not it.

One 25 year old CD I find very well recorded is "All For Me" by Diana Krall. Mastered by Doug Sax who figured out how to make Digital a bit more accessible to my ears. He has thousands of masters and re-masters if Krall isn't your taste. If that recording seems bright than I would have to say there is an issue someplace. It's not bright on my SS amp.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #22,510 of 23,425
Having owned the HD 600's for about two years, I enjoy almost everything about the sound, especially the midrange, but I find the upper treble to be a bit too much at times. Maybe I am just sensitive to those frequencies?

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #22,511 of 23,425
Having owned the HD 600's for about two years, I enjoy almost everything about the sound, especially the midrange, but I find the upper treble to be a bit too much at times. Maybe I am just sensitive to those frequencies?
I have not heard that before. What amp(s) were you using?

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #22,512 of 23,425
I have not heard that before. What amp(s) were you using?
I use the JDS Labs Atom. Even with somewhat worn pads, that region can sometimes be a problem for me. To be fair, rock and metal recordings can be bright at times though.

Nov 6, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #22,513 of 23,425
I use the JDS Labs Atom. Even with somewhat worn pads, that region can sometimes be a problem for me. To be fair, rock and metal recordings can be bright at times though.
The HD650 solves this problem. I find that its imaging isn't as good, though.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #22,515 of 23,425
I don't have any experience with that amp but from the specs it does not have enough voltage. Is it possible you have to crank the volume to get the level you want? I suspect bass would sound thin and the highs would be overemphasized. The 600 has no reputation for being bright and I have never heard it to be bright. But I have heard it to be thin without enough voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

• ext1
Back