Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #22,531 of 23,456
Can anyone confirm that the HD600 is now only made in Ireland again and no longer in Romania?

Confirmed. After the Sonova purchase the old, non-Sonova Sennheiser kept the Brasov, Romania site for the professional audio production. So the Sonova Sennheiser production for the 6-series plus and 800S moved back to Ireland.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #22,533 of 23,456
The HD650 solves this problem. I find that its imaging isn't as good, though.
But at the cost of a less defined mid bass, and a slightly warmer, but, also more veiled sound.

It's like the Mayonnaise vs Miracle Whip - 600 for me, and 650 For you....

Personally the imaging/soundstage on both is well short of good.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #22,534 of 23,456
Having owned the HD 600's for about two years, I enjoy almost everything about the sound, especially the midrange, but I find the upper treble to be a bit too much at times. Maybe I am just sensitive to those frequencies?
I bet it's not the upper treble that bothers you.

As for bass mentioned elsewhere - bass has several characteristics. Bass in the the 600 is excellent in terms of speed, very good in timbre. The bass extension, heft, and impact under 50 Hz. - not so good on the SS I've heard.

My ample Ragnarok 1 follows the basic curve in the bass. Starts declining at 75 Hz. Meh at 55 Hz, forget below 40 Hz. A parametric EQ can get them to 55 Hz solid, below that they flap around, and all you are doing is impacting the midrange.

However, the bass does go down to 35 Hz on my BHCs OTL with a little EQ - that's almost making it to the lowest stop on an organ. Soundstage is much better for 4-5 piece jazz and classical, and chamber rock the my SS. And the occasional issues in the treble are gone due to some added 2nd and 4th order harmonics - which adds a coherent warmth, and doesn't get all hazy/smudgey as soon over the top tubes can get. 800's also get the same treatment.

Interesting because the Rag delivers 3x the current but sounds wan in comparison.

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #22,535 of 23,456
But at the cost of a less defined mid bass, and a slightly warmer, but, also more veiled sound.

It's like the Mayonnaise vs Miracle Whip - 600 for me, and 650 For you....

Personally the imaging/soundstage on both is well short of good.
Do you think is possible to attenuate the slight peak on the upper mids of the HD600?
When you have a record with a bright mastering,the HI-HAT sound could pierce you ears and the listening experience is fatiguing. To me it's a problem..
I've tons of Japanese CDS/Vinyls ripping that are almost unaudible on my setup because of Cymbals sibilant problem..
If I try an OTL the problem would be solved?
My actual Setup is LPG111 (SS headphone amplifier)>Topping D50S>HD 600 unbalanced

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #22,536 of 23,456
Do you think is possible to attenuate the slight peak on the upper mids of the HD600?
When you have a record with a bright mastering,the HI-HAT sound could pierce you ears and the listening experience is fatiguing. To me it's a problem..
I've tons of Japanese CDS/Vinyls ripping that are almost unaudible on my setup because of Cymbals sibilant problem..
If I try an OTL the problem would be solved?
My actual Setup is LPG111 (SS headphone amplifier)>Topping D50S>HD 600 unbalanced
parametric is cheaper. Try:

82 Hz +3.6 Q .70 low shelf 2
160 Hz -1.6 Q 1.10 analog bell
2500 Hz +1.0 Q 2.30 "
3850 Hz -2.8 db Q 3.4 "
8000 Hz. -3.2 db Q 3.6 "
12khz +2.8 db Q 4.2 "

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #22,538 of 23,456
Confirmed. After the Sonova purchase the old, non-Sonova Sennheiser kept the Brasov, Romania site for the professional audio production. So the Sonova Sennheiser production for the 6-series plus and 800S moved back to Ireland.
Wow I think I have been living under a rock I didn’t realize that Senn consumer had been acquired! I only remembered them selling their gaming headsets unit to another coy.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #22,539 of 23,456
I bet it's not the upper treble that bothers you.

As for bass mentioned elsewhere - bass has several characteristics. Bass in the the 600 is excellent in terms of speed, very good in timbre. The bass extension, heft, and impact under 50 Hz. - not so good on the SS I've heard.

My ample Ragnarok 1 follows the basic curve in the bass. Starts declining at 75 Hz. Meh at 55 Hz, forget below 40 Hz. A parametric EQ can get them to 55 Hz solid, below that they flap around, and all you are doing is impacting the midrange.

However, the bass does go down to 35 Hz on my BHCs OTL with a little EQ - that's almost making it to the lowest stop on an organ. Soundstage is much better for 4-5 piece jazz and classical, and chamber rock the my SS. And the occasional issues in the treble are gone due to some added 2nd and 4th order harmonics - which adds a coherent warmth, and doesn't get all hazy/smudgey as soon over the top tubes can get. 800's also get the same treatment.

Interesting because the Rag delivers 3x the current but sounds wan in comparison.

It definitely is the upper treble, it's just way up there. It's bothered me for a long time, and I could never figure out where exactly it was until recently. I did use EqualizerAPO to tame it, and it solved the issue I had.

Filter: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain -10.80 dB Q 2.0

I discovered that as the pads wear down, that region doesn't go down as much as the low and mid treble response.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #22,540 of 23,456
I'm not familiar with EQ.
I prefer not to use it.
How an OTL amp would affect the listening experience?
Search back using "OTL" or "BHC". You'll find plenty of observations - and at least 6-7 from me.

I feel you on the EQ, I had one in 1977 and I didn't like it, but, the parametrics available on digital streaming cost like $6 for life and have no detectable downsides - besides mis-setting it...

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #22,541 of 23,456
It definitely is the upper treble, it's just way up there. It's bothered me for a long time, and I could never figure out where exactly it was until recently. I did use EqualizerAPO to tame it, and it solved the issue I had.

Filter: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain -10.80 dB Q 2.0

I discovered that as the pads wear down, that region doesn't go down as much as the low and mid treble response.
Interesting. Good luck with that. 16k is about 12 years behind me....

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #22,543 of 23,456
Listening to my new Custom Cans' Senn 600 brass ring mod I installed.

The mod brings a new clarity and focus to the music, especially on vocals. The subbass has improved/been added to (extended) and the music has a much more solid foundation to it. The mids (especially vocals) have been brought up as well and are more focused/clean and discernable. I'm still experimenting with/without the rings so my thoughts may evolve. So far I am greatly impressed.

I am NOT using any foam inserts [original foam discs are still installed] as my first initial experiments felt they closed in the soundstage and were not necessarily beneficial to my tastes. And I didn't want to potentially destroy the sound I already enjoyed with the stock foam.

Mod4.jpgMod3.jpgMod2.jpgMod1.jpg

Dec 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #22,544 of 23,456
I wonder if any of you experts could help me identify my hd600 version. Dark speckled headband, made in Ireland of course. Here is a pic of the driver:

7C4242E5-55ED-42E6-89B9-2F4755D13AEF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back