Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #22,516 of 23,456
I don't have any experience with that amp but from the specs it does not have enough voltage. Is it possible you have to crank the volume to get the level you want? I suspect bass would sound thin and the highs would be overemphasized. The 600 has no reputation for being bright and I have never heard it to be bright. But I have heard it to be thin without enough voltage.
I never found the bass to be much of a problem actually. The tightness is quite nice, though a bit more extension would be nice every once in a while. I think that, being on the autism spectrum, my mind/ears likes to emphasize the cymbal crashes and hats more than they should.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #22,517 of 23,456
IMO the problem is When you have a mastering too bright...When it's that,the hi-hat and crash sound too harsh and sibilant.
At the moment i have no budget to invest in a better DAC..Topping has SABRE and this chip has the reputation to be too analytic/metallic ecc...In the future I'would like to try OTL amp in a combo with This DAC...Maybe with a OTL Upper mids of HD600 would be attenuated..
With my setup,when mastering has uppermids too emphasized,the listening experience is fatiguing and soo bad...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #22,518 of 23,456
IMO the problem is When you have a mastering too bright...When it's that,the hi-hat and crash sound too harsh and sibilant.
At the moment i have no budget to invest in a better DAC..Topping has SABRE and this chip has the reputation to be too analytic/metallic ecc...In the future I'would like to try OTL amp in a combo with This DAC...Maybe with a OTL Upper mids of HD600 would be attenuated..
With my setup,when mastering has uppermids too emphasized,the listening experience is fatiguing and soo bad...
That's more than likely it. I do have a couple headphones/earbuds that roll-off the treble, and I found them to be a more pleasant, smoother listening experience for harsher recordings. I do love the forward mids of the HD600's though, it's probably my favorite part of the sound.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #22,519 of 23,456
When you have a situation like This,with HD 600+Topping D50S Cymbals are painful to listen and the lack of Bass make the sound too THIN

Attachments

• SharedScreenshot16.jpg
    SharedScreenshot16.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #22,520 of 23,456
I never found the bass to be much of a problem actually. The tightness is quite nice, though a bit more extension would be nice every once in a while. I think that, being on the autism spectrum, my mind/ears likes to emphasize the cymbal crashes and hats more than they should.
I meant the bass is expected to be relatively weak with that amp, therefore the highs might sound relatively higher. A lot of weird psychoaucoustics go into how we hear things, especially music. The balance can affect perception dramatically.

Anyway, if you can get a tube OTL amp like @AxeMadman81 mentioned it will be a great match. Not that the highs will be rolled off, just that the headphones will have plenty of voltage and sound like they should.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #22,523 of 23,456
I meant the bass is expected to be relatively weak with that amp, therefore the highs might sound relatively higher. A lot of weird psychoaucoustics go into how we hear things, especially music. The balance can affect perception dramatically.

Anyway, if you can get a tube OTL amp like @AxeMadman81 mentioned it will be a great match. Not that the highs will be rolled off, just that the headphones will have plenty of voltage and sound like they should.
People have talked about how an OTL amp can help, and I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole yet 😂. For now, I'd rather just get a darker tuned headphone/IEM that suits my preferences, which I found couple already.

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #22,524 of 23,456
People have talked about how an OTL amp can help, and I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole yet** 😂. For now, I'd rather just get a darker tuned headphone/IEM that suits my preferences, which I found couple already.
** you will if: (a) you experience the sound; (b) Elmer Fudd is in hot pursuit wielding a shotgun!! 🤣

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #22,525 of 23,456
Nov 8, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #22,526 of 23,456
I haven't heard many versions but the recordings on a lot of Zeppelin are not very good. Most of the drums don't sound like drums unless I listen with an extremely fast pair of headphones. In some ways the recordings are very live-sounding and engaging, but there are also a lot of faults.

For a pair of HD 600s, 0 dB on your Lake People might be too much. Try backing off to -6 dB and see if it helps.
I have loved Zeppelin’s music forever. The recording quality, even on MoFi and Classic Records audiophile vinyl, leaves a lot to be desired. The HD600s are NOT inherently bright, but they will reveal shortcomings in your software, source or amp. That’s what a neutral transducer does.
I’ve found that some pad rolling and the CC weight mod can give the HD600 more extension in the bass without changing the rest of the overall balance. These headphones have been around for a very long time - there are a plethora of tweaks you can try - some work, some don’t. But, only YOUR ears can decide what YOU like.
People have talked about how an OTL amp can help, and I'm sure it does, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that rabbit hole yet 😂. For now, I'd rather just get a darker tuned headphone/IEM that suits my preferences, which I found couple already.
Headphones don’t make sound by themselves, and 300 ohm headphones need a stiff power supply that won’t quit when faced with a difficult dynamic load. OTL is one solution, and often a good one, but it is not the only solution. The OG Burson HA-160 was designed specifically for the HD650, but it works a charm with the HD600 as well, for just one example. I also think the HD600 will reveal the difference between Class A and Class AB. I like Class A, but that’s a personal preference. The key is that stiff power supply. Without it, you are asking for disappointment, as these headphones WILL reveal all shortcomings upstream (and many will blame the headphones, but they are not at fault). Feed them right, however, and they are capable of giving hour after hour of immersive musical satisfaction.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #22,527 of 23,456
I’ve found that some pad rolling and the CC weight mod can give the HD600 more extension in the bass without changing the rest of the overall balance. These headphones have been around for a very long time - there are a plethora of tweaks you can try - some work, some don’t. But, only YOUR ears can decide what YOU like.

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Pad rolling to the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for the M50X, MDR-7506 really changed the bass on the 600 for the better. There's just more, it has good texture and hits deeper. It's been awesome to make this discovery.

On my spare 600 i will roll to the Elites and try the CC mod once they're back in stock to see what both of these mods for me is like.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #22,528 of 23,456
Pad rolling to the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for the M50X, MDR-7506 really changed the bass on the 600 for the better. There's just more, it has good texture and hits deeper. It's been awesome to make this discovery.

On my spare 600 i will roll to the Elites and try the CC mod once they're back in stock to see what both of these mods for me is like.
That the Custom Cans UK cnc backweight mod kit is out of stock is a neon light testament to its efficacy and value !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back