Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #22,471 of 23,456
I would just really like them to revive the baby orpheus. :D

Not 600 drivers into hd800 shell, the other way around.

1666056857053.png

Audio Technica "Air" series also seems like another, as the drivers seemed to use screws to bolt on.

I'm not saying an hd600 needs a different driver or anything. But it's nice to see something like a hd800 driver with the famous chassis.
The R70X too, the driver is indeed screw-on and everything is easily replaceable from what I can tell. The R70X is a good alternative to the HD 6xx series as it has a similar sound especially if you want a better bass response and better imaging/soundstaging. Wonder how the HD 800 driver sounds in the HD 600 chassis. A Tesla Beyer driver in the housing may be an interesting experiment too.

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #22,472 of 23,456
The R70X too, the driver is indeed screw-on and everything is easily replaceable from what I can tell. The R70X is a good alternative to the HD 6xx series as it has a similar sound especially if you want a better bass response and better imaging/soundstaging. Wonder how the HD 800 driver sounds in the HD 600 chassis. A Tesla Beyer driver in the housing may be an interesting experiment too.

I thought about that , but it seems like the circuit board on tesla is glued onto baffle. It seems driver is screwed on, but I would imagine the voice coil thin wire would not be easy to detach/reattach. Too risky. For me anyway.

The feller on red dit, I think driver died, and had spare grado ones.

1666072773013.png

I would imagine it's an inferior driver, but interesting nonetheless. Unless someone loves grado, and only can use it as an overear, it seems pointless.

As for the hd800 driver into the hd600, it seems to require lots of tuning as its close to the ear relative to the hd800 shell. So I would imagine a thicker pad and different acoustic foams Angled pad. Maybe down the line, someone will make a baffle which angles it.

It looks cool though. I guess in a way the 660S has that same cool look. And now with the copper ring for hd600, it makes them look cooler.

If looks matter :p

Oct 18, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #22,473 of 23,456
I thought about that , but it seems like the circuit board on tesla is glued onto baffle. It seems driver is screwed on, but I would imagine the voice coil thin wire would not be easy to detach/reattach. Too risky. For me anyway.

The feller on red dit, I think driver died, and had spare grado ones.

I would imagine it's an inferior driver, but interesting nonetheless. Unless someone loves grado, and only can use it as an overear, it seems pointless.

As for the hd800 driver into the hd600, it seems to require lots of tuning as its close to the ear relative to the hd800 shell. So I would imagine a thicker pad and different acoustic foams Angled pad. Maybe down the line, someone will make a baffle which angles it.

It looks cool though. I guess in a way the 660S has that same cool look. And now with the copper ring for hd600, it makes them look cooler.

If looks matter :p
I personally thought it may look pretty cool, I love the exposed driver look. I’m like the Tesla Beyer drivers are some of the prettiest drivers out there but they’re not shown off on any of their models. I really like the look of many Senns and Audio-Technica’s due to this exposed driver look.

Honestly the HD 700 based driver on the HD 660 S makes it the best looker of the HD 6xx series imho. Speaking of looks I do miss the old granite paint of the HD 600. I like the new mold HD 660 S more than the old though. But I like the old mold HD 600 and HD 650 more than the new.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #22,474 of 23,456
Is Vali 2++ with Modi 3E respectable enough for HD600, or is that not really going to reveal their potential?

Oct 18, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #22,475 of 23,456
Is Vali 2++ with Modi 3E respectable enough for HD600, or is that not really going to reveal their potential?
The Vali 2++ is a hell of an amp that can do justice to almost every headphone in the market.
Never heard the Modi 3E but I don't see why it cannot do justice to the HD600.

Oct 18, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #22,476 of 23,456
I'm using a Vali 2+ and Modi 3E with HD600 and it sounds great. The Modi 3E is in several ways better than the Bifrost 2. I'm enjoying increased resolution and air.

Oct 20, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #22,477 of 23,456
It's not easy to get foam in that spot at all. I'm in the camp of most people prob won't be able to accomplish it, which makes it difficult to reverse.
I’ve removed the rear foam from all of mine (580/600/650), but only the 600 get the rings. I believe the only way of putting the oem foam back would be to remove the driver, replace the foam, then replace the driver - but I have never tried. Instead, I have used the cc foam munchkins in my 580 and 650 without the copper weight. I’m not going to debate whether or not the subtle difference is or isn’t audible to all. At the very least, it is a dust over for the inside of your driver. Similarly, whether or not the 4 different foam options (5 if you count no foam) sound different from one another is a matter of the overall resolution of your system, your personal sensitivity to subtle differences and your personal preferences. There is no right or wrong. Same for the inner (ear side) foam - although many, including my respected friend @jonathan c prefer to remove this foam or replace it with nylon, gaberdine or what have you, I like the cheap, soft replacement foam ‘discs’ I bought on the Bay. The trade off is a little more detail versus a little more warmth. My preference is the warmth but, again, that’s just MY preference, with MY setup in MY system. I am not suggesting that it is right or wrong for anyone else, and that one is a free, reversible experiment. Try it and see for yourself what makes you happier.

As for amps, the key is the power supply - if it is unfazed by the dynamic 300 ohm load, it should be fine. I have little experience with Schiit, so can’t comment on the Vali 2++ match.

600 with ring and medium foam insert:

3EB26964-91B7-4CE7-94FC-29B83D2B419F.jpeg

650 with full yellow foam insert:

0D523972-0052-4DCF-AB7F-96EA8E109033.jpeg

All of my Senns have Dekoni elite hybrid pads (because those are the ones I like the best - you should use the ones YOU like the best), and, at the moment, I'm also using oem 650 cable on all.

Most importantly, while my Audeze, DCA and Grados are all lovely, they are sitting in their respective cases/boxes, while the Senns are hooked up to amps (580/desk, 600/bedside, 650/listening room) and playing music …

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #22,480 of 23,456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back