Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #21,001 of 23,456
This has probably come up before, but I was wondering if anyone knew a place to get a replacement grill. I've also seen it called a cap ring. Basically I have an hd600 that I got from another headfier and the grill has some rust and slight discoloration around the edges so I'd like to replace it.

Unless anyone has an idea how to remove or restore it...? Thanks in advance if anyone has an idea.

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #21,003 of 23,456
I have my HD600's back on this morning. I am in testing mode as I am trying to shed some gear. I have already picked one amp and at least one set of headphones that will be leaving soon.

For today and the next few days the set up is a dual one:

A) DAP (NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) via SE to Schiit Loki via SE to Violectric HPA V220.

B) DAP (NW-ZX300) to DAC (SMSL SU-8) via XLR to Violectric HPA V220.

I also have two outputs on this amp so I have plugged in the HD660's along with the HD600's. They both run at the same time so it takes three to four seconds to change headphones.

Using the buttons on the front of the amp I can switch instantly from RCA (Loki via SE) to XLR (straight balanced input).
The jump in volume from using the Loki is very close to the bump you get in volume with the voltage boost of XLR input.

I should start by saying that I have never been a huge fan of these headphones. I thought they sucked on a series of cheaper SS and hybrid amps (flat and boring). I did like them on a tube amp though. And I like then even more on my Violectric amp. They may not need a ton of power, but they do enjoy a strong amp that fills them out. Not sure if the Loki will be overkill or not. Enjoying the added bass this morning with a wide selection of Deftones, Crosses and Team Sleep.

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #21,004 of 23,456
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #21,005 of 23,456
Currently, I drive my Sennheiser HD 600 with a Fiio BRT5 (balanced output). But I intend to update my system.

In the future, I plan to buy an OTL Amplifier for my cans. But now, as a "New Head-Fier", I intend to buy a entry level DAC/AMP stack and improve my "listening skills" day by day.

I am between two options:
- Schiit | Modi 3 and Magni 3+
- Topping | E30 and L30

Disregarding any price difference, what do you think is the best option to drive my Sennheiser HD 600?
I have a BTR5 and I love that little DAC/Amp for walking around. I use it with my IEMs.

I also have both HD600 and HD650 headphones. I love them both for different types of music. I can't recommend more highly the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. Violin Concertos and combo Jazz will make you weep it is so warm, lush and clear with a nice sound stage. I should note that I have upgrade caps and pot, too.

There is a huge difference in Sound Quality between a BHC and the BTR5.

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #21,006 of 23,456
I have a BTR5 and I love that little DAC/Amp for walking around. I use it with my IEMs.

I also have both HD600 and HD650 headphones. I love them both for different types of music. I can't recommend more highly the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball. Violin Concertos and combo Jazz will make you weep it is so warm, lush and clear with a nice sound stage. I should note that I have upgrade caps and pot, too.

There is a huge difference in Sound Quality between a BHC and the BTR5.
Thank you very much for your reply and your review. I really appreciated your point of view!

Most of the time, I listen to classical music and, listening to some songs with my HD 600, mainly orchestral music, I get goosebumps. :)

I love my BTR5 too and I think it has an impressive sound for its size. But although I like it a lot, I think it is limiting the potential of my HD 600 a bit.

I'm very curious to hear a Bottlehead Crack with an HD 600/650 and, in the future, I intend to buy an OTL Amplifier. But, before I buy it, I want to buy a solid state amplifier with a "more neutral" sound and, after a while, with more "listening experience", buy a Bottlehead Crack (or another good tube amp) and better understand the differences between these two types of amplifiers.

So, before buying and assembling my Bottlehead Crack, I think about buying a Topping E30/L30 or a Schiit Modi3/Magni3+.

*Sorry for the English mistakes

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #21,007 of 23,456
My opinion, don't waste your money on entry-level gear unless you are sure you can sell it quickly in your country. You will outgrow it quickly, it's better to get something in the middle price range that you can keep and enjoy for years. Not sure what brands are available for you or if you can import without paying crazy taxes.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #21,008 of 23,456
For what's is worth I recently did a blind test to compare the HD600 out of my Fiio K5 pro (entry-level desktop dac/amp combo) and Fiio E5 (super cheap portable amp) and couldn't even tell the difference. They sounded basically the same to my ears, despite the K5 being 10 times more powerful in terms of Mw/ohm (not sure about the exact voltage which probably matters more for high impedance cans). Never tested the HD600 with something higher-end.
HD600 needs better amp - and - better DAC than these general consumer heavily marketted items. I thought FiiO E12A (which is like K5, but optimised for IEMs) would improve SQ of my portable ladder DAC/HPA. It has sufficient power to drive HD600. Initially it was perceived more details over $42 device on a cost of slightly metalic sound, sibilance at times and increased fatigue over long run. Not worth carrying heavier pack and burden of extra cables.

On desktop Audio GD R2R11 is a minimum I can accept at the moment. If you can find anything better for $350 let me know. It gives a taste of high-end and a desire for something better (R28 is in my upgrading plans). During few months of owing R2R11/HD600 my music library increased dramatically, it is something representative.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #21,009 of 23,456
HD600 needs better amp - and - better DAC than these general consumer heavily marketted items. I thought FiiO E12A (which is like K5, but optimised for IEMs) would improve SQ of my portable ladder DAC/HPA. It has sufficient power to drive HD600. Initially it was perceived more details over $42 device on a cost of slightly metalic sound, sibilance at times and increased fatigue over long run. Not worth carrying heavier pack and burden of extra cables.

On desktop Audio GD R2R11 is a minimum I can accept at the moment. If you can find anything better for $350 let me know. It gives a taste of high-end and a desire for something better (R28 is in my upgrading plans). During few months of owing R2R11/HD600 my music library increased dramatically, it is something representative.
Well, a few reviews said the K5 pro could drive the HD600 properly. Fiio E12a is a portable amp.
I'd rather upgrade the headphone since I can clearly hear the difference between two HP at least. It's a pity nobody takes the time and effort to make proper blind tests, it's not so complicated to do (just get two identical jack extension cables and you're done) and it would prove the point.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #21,010 of 23,456
A better amp with a pair of HD 600s is almost never a bad idea. They scale unbelievably.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #21,011 of 23,456
Well, a few reviews said the K5 pro could drive the HD600 properly. Fiio E12a is a portable amp.
I'd rather upgrade the headphone since I can clearly hear the difference between two HP at least. It's a pity nobody takes the time and effort to make proper blind tests, it's not so complicated to do (just get two identical jack extension cables and you're done) and it would prove the point.

You know how people are on HeadFi in terms of justifying the amounts of money they spend in their heads by saying small changes in amping and DACs make a huge difference sound-wise. As you said, only way to confirm this is with an honest blind test, but then people might start feeling bad about spending so much money.

Of course, I'm sure amps can affect the sound, but, as you said, headphones/speakers I'm sure play a much, MUCH bigger difference when it comes to sound quality than amps/DACs do.

Anyways, someone else asked if the Magni 3 would drive the HD600s fine. I drive my 600s with a Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber stack, and they sound just fine to me. Of course, some people might say you should spend $500+ on amps/DACs, but at that point, why not just buy a whole new mid-fi headphone for that price?

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #21,012 of 23,456
Of course, I'm sure amps can affect the sound, but, as you said, headphones/speakers I'm sure play a much, MUCH bigger difference when it comes to sound quality than amps/DACs do.

The trouble is that if you think that you should upgrade your headphones while not upgrading amps/dacs you are in most cases wrong. Better headphones will be less forgiving of low quality amps and dacs than lesser headphones. For this reason it is best to look for balance in your audio system and having all your components at a similar level. That means that if you are going to be able to enjoy good headphones the rest of your chain needs to be up to the task. Otherwise your great headphones will just keep reminding you that your amp/dac is inferior.

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #21,013 of 23,456
A better amp with a pair of HD 600s is almost never a bad idea. They scale unbelievably.
Also never a bad idea: with HD 600s (stock or modified), use the best components / cables possible in one’s budget. Everything matters: power cables, power supply, interconnect cables, DAC (if separate), amp, headphone cables...the HD 600s will blossom / thrive and deliver incredible musicality with “upstream” upgrades.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #21,014 of 23,456
Hi all. I have some HD6XX's that I need new pads for. Something that helps relieve the clamping pressure (if possible) and doesn't change the sound a ton. I don't find the factory Drop pads comfortable.
If anything, I'd be ok with a touch more bass in a pad chang but nothing drastic. Thanks for any recommendations.

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #21,015 of 23,456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back