Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #20,971 of 23,458
Thanks, I think I am seeing similar prices for the used market here too.

Thanks, I will not like to use Facebook though unfortunately

Thanks, I am actually looking at Singapore (where I am at), UK and Germany Amazon but they are not sold there. I will look at US Amazon during its Black Friday then. And yes, I am actually trying to get a new pair at the usual used prices. I do recall seeing similar sales at the local audio shops too but wasn't ready for it back then

Keep Amazon.ca (Canada) on your list too. Exchange rates may give you more bang for your buck.

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #20,973 of 23,458
I randomly took off the foam that's protecting the inner side of the drivers on my HD600 just to quickly compare the Dekoni with the stock pads and I think the result is really interesting. There's a better sense of transparency and immediacy to the sound, as if some kind of veil was removed. It sounds a bit cliché but I think it is real. I put the foams back in place to confirm my impressions. The tonality is also a bit brighter but I think this works well with the fenestrated leather pads that still tame the top end. The result is a nicely dynamic and sharp headphone that still rocks.

No question that removing the foam results in a clearer more transparent sound. Put some dynamat and felt on the backside (careful not to block any channels from the front), and you get a taut and clear bass to match, with a bit less delayed treble. Then get an EQ on it to even it up:

88 hz 3.8 db .071 Q Low Shelf
160 hz -2.1 db 1.10 Q dig bell 2
2500 hz 1.0 db 2.30 Q "
3850 hz -3.3 db 3.33 Q "
8000 hz -4.0 db 3.33 Q "
12400 hz 4.5 3.90 Q "

Very few headphones need no correction between 250 Hz and 2 kHz. Any fan of the 600 that hasn't heard them on a OTL amp is missing out.

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #20,974 of 23,458
I randomly took off the foam that's protecting the inner side of the drivers on my HD600 just to quickly compare the Dekoni with the stock pads and I think the result is really interesting. There's a better sense of transparency and immediacy to the sound, as if some kind of veil was removed. It sounds a bit cliché but I think it is real. I put the foams back in place to confirm my impressions. The tonality is also a bit brighter but I think this works well with the fenestrated leather pads that still tame the top end. The result is a nicely dynamic and sharp headphone that still rocks.
I’ve tried playing around with the front foam on all the Sennie 6 series cans that I’ve owned. The one that I feel ends up sounding the best is actually the HD58X via the curtain mod.
I didn’t particularly care for the added brightness over my 600 compared to my friend who almost exclusively listens to Sennheisers with the front foam removed...he also really digs the new HD560S, which in fact is a brilliant rec for 600 owners wanting that extra bit of zing up top whilst adding an impressive bass performance.
I’ve actually never tried anything mod-wise with the 600 that ended up improving on the stock sound but yeah...tastebuds:)
As for pads I always stay with stock. The only ones I’ve tried that didn’t ruin the sound were some Yaxi pads. I still recommend stock though.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #20,975 of 23,458
^ A modest amount of mass damping on the backside via dynamat increases speed and nimbleness of the 600 bass, which also removes the trace of chestiness/veil in the lower mids - but it does decrease total amount of bass - not for rock fans but classical/jazz/great recording fans should be happy. I listen to rock too, so its either go to the HFM 500/6se or increase the EQ for the bass of the 600, or change from SS amp to a OTL.

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #20,977 of 23,458
I could not agree more that HD600 is one of the classical products of Sennheiser: light wearing, healthy sound, etc.
This was a very safe first post to make :D

Welcome to the forums! :)

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #20,978 of 23,458
^ A modest amount of mass damping on the backside via dynamat increases speed and nimbleness of the 600 bass, which also removes the trace of chestiness/veil in the lower mids - but it does decrease total amount of bass - not for rock fans but classical/jazz/great recording fans should be happy. I listen to rock too, so its either go to the HFM 500/6se or increase the EQ for the bass of the 600, or change from SS amp to a OTL.
I have been enjoying immensely the HD-600s with three modifications. One is the CNC copper ring system from Custom Cans (U.K.) for the "mass damping" . The next is the replacement of both ear-side foams with Chicopee Chix 8311 dry reusable wipes. These are quite thin and are well perforated, allowing the sound to come through unimpeded. (Clearly, this was not the intended use of Chix by the company; I was opening a new box and I thought "what if..?"). To my ears, your description of increased speed and nimbleness of bass is spot-on. I have not gotten the impression, though, of a decrease in total bass - maybe a lesser emphasis on bass (due to lower frame resonance from the CNC rings?). I think that the mass damping also mitigates peakiness in the upper registers. Those, I feel, are more open and convey more ambiance with the replacement of the ear-side foam. Lastly, the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin earpads for airiness of sound and for comfort (the stock velour pads are good...just wanted to go 'full monty'). The HD-600s, in this mode, are my go-to headphone for outright music listening for appreciation and enjoyment. MODIFIED SENNHEISER HD-600 I.JPGMODIFIED SENNHEISER HD-600 II.JPG

Oct 21, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #20,979 of 23,458
I have been enjoying immensely the HD-600s with three modifications. One is the CNC copper ring system from Custom Cans (U.K.) for the "mass damping"

Yes, they are interesting and CC is a good outfit that has been working with Senn's for years. Haven't tried myself.

The next is the replacement of both ear-side foams with Chicopee Chix 8311 dry reusable wipes. These are quite thin and are well perforated, allowing the sound to come through unimpeded.

Interesting. I use the rear dust blocking material from round form HFM's. Seems much better, but no idea vs your solution.

To my ears, your description of increased speed and nimbleness of bass is spot-on. I have not gotten the impression, though, of a decrease in total bass

That's the dynamat. It's relatively subtle.

- maybe a lesser emphasis on bass (due to lower frame resonance from the CNC rings?). I think that the mass damping also mitigates peakiness in the upper registers. Those, I feel, are more open and convey more ambiance with the replacement of the ear-side foam. Lastly, the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin earpads for airiness of sound and for comfort (the stock velour pads are good...just wanted to go 'full monty'). The HD-600s, in this mode, are my go-to headphone for outright music listening for appreciation and enjoyment.

My 600's make my 4 can rotation - on the BHC. The other 3 on the Rag 1 (HE-6se, HE-500, HEX v2). Like to get a nice used 800 to run on the BHC, before I snag the Susvara :)fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed:).
MODIFIED SENNHEISER HD-600 I.JPG)MODIFIED SENNHEISER HD-600 II.JPG
[/QUOTE]
:fingers_crossed:

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #20,980 of 23,458
I have been enjoying immensely the HD-600s with three modifications. One is the CNC copper ring system from Custom Cans (U.K.) for the "mass damping" . The next is the replacement of both ear-side foams with Chicopee Chix 8311 dry reusable wipes. These are quite thin and are well perforated, allowing the sound to come through unimpeded. (Clearly, this was not the intended use of Chix by the company; I was opening a new box and I thought "what if..?"). To my ears, your description of increased speed and nimbleness of bass is spot-on. I have not gotten the impression, though, of a decrease in total bass - maybe a lesser emphasis on bass (due to lower frame resonance from the CNC rings?). I think that the mass damping also mitigates peakiness in the upper registers. Those, I feel, are more open and convey more ambiance with the replacement of the ear-side foam. Lastly, the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin earpads for airiness of sound and for comfort (the stock velour pads are good...just wanted to go 'full monty'). The HD-600s, in this mode, are my go-to headphone for outright music listening for appreciation and enjoyment.

Wellllp... you just pushed me over the edge on the CC copper mass loading kit. I ordered 2 for good measure :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #20,981 of 23,458
Lemme know how you like them, I have these on my shopping list.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #20,982 of 23,458
Ive had my HD600 for about a month and theyre going to be one of my forever phones. At the time they were used alongside my EMU Teak and they both complemented each other well. (Teak being the v-shaped fun phone and the HD600 being the relaxing/singalong phone). Since then my Aurorus Borealis has replaced my EMU teak but I plan to keep the HD600. They’re built well and I can easily find spare parts for them if I needed to. I can’t believe Sennheiser made this phone some time ago and it has aged well.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #20,983 of 23,458
It's a classic that in some ways is hard to beat for thousands of dollars more.

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #20,984 of 23,458
It's a classic that in some ways is hard to beat for thousands of dollars more.

All I know is that the cheapest way to headphone nirvana is a used Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball
and a used or existing HD-600. Both obtainable for as low as $550 total. Beat that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back