Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #20,956 of 23,458
@bagwell359 and @rev6, the graphs I posted are the raw uncompensated responses, they don't show how we 'hear' these headphones but instead show how they measure on the miniDSP EARS rig. I personally don't trust the HPN and HEQ compensation curves supplied with this rig but if you'd like me to upload the compensated measurements then let me know and I will (see post #20,902 for example, where I already posted compensated measurements of my HD600). However, it won't change the result that shows my HD650 has more upper midrange and less treble than my HD600, this difference will remain no matter what compensation curve is applied.

When I measure headphones on the miniDSP EARS rig I prefer just to stick to the raw uncompensated measurement and use my HD600 measurement as my mental baseline of 'flat', and then look at how the other headphones deviate from the raw measurement of my HD600. However, I appreciate this won't make sense to readers who aren't familiar with the miniDSP EARS rig and/or aren't used to seeing raw uncompensated measurements.

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #20,957 of 23,458
I've only been at this hobby for a few months and I am really getting an education on sound. Not only technical terms, but what I actually like vs. don't like. When you first hear great audio for the first time, Your ears perk up because it isn't used to hearing something so great. But, just because that sound is better than anything else you've heard before, it doesn't mean that is your favorite version of that sound. This is what I am learning. I just thought that music quality was just a linear scale. It's either very bad or it's good on a scale from 1-10. That's not true. You can have one rendition of the sound on one system that you really like. Then, you can have a very different sounding version of that same song and you can like it just as much. This is something I did not understand until now. This makes this hobby very very interesting and expensive.

I am learning that if I do an A/B comparison, one headphone may win in almost every category. But then, you just relax and listen non critically and you can like the other more. This is what I am learning about the HD650 and HD600 headphones. When I listened critically, I concluded that in most of the important dimensions that the HD600s were better. But then, when I just wanted to rest my mind and listen for pleasure, I found that I loved the HD650 the most. The warm sound really embraces me in a good way. I thought in critical listening that the HD600s were better for classical music. I could hear everything better and every individual element of sound was better with the HD600s. But, when I just wanted to listen for enjoyment, I actually liked the HD650 better even for most classical. I really did not expect that. This is only a few days in. I may change my mind again tomorrow. Wow. I love this hobby.

Increasing fidelity with equipment is a good thing. If you get a chance try to get exposure to live unamplified or minimally amplified music too, not to mention recordings of same. Even if the music isn't your cuppa you'll get an education on tone and timbre - sharpening your judgement.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #20,959 of 23,458
Do you all get your HD 600 at sales and where/when do those sales happen usually?

Best so far I saw was during CanJam Singapore a few years ago but since then nothing seem to be able to beat it

I have bought these twice in the last year (bought, sold, bought). Both sets were bought used. First set was well used and second was much fresher. I bought them for my tube amp, but really like them on my Violectric.

In Canada I bought both on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) for $300.00(Cdn.). About $225.00US.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #20,960 of 23,458
Do you all get your HD 600 at sales and where/when do those sales happen usually?

Best so far I saw was during CanJam Singapore a few years ago but since then nothing seem to be able to beat it

Personally all my HD6x0 headphones came from the second hand market. Generally there is always a cheap pair available as there are quite a few out there. Mind you most of the times they need a pad swap, which adds to the price, but its possible to get one in decent shape for $100 - $140 (a bit less in eu, where you can get em from 100-140 euro regularly, tho HD580 is a better buy in that case as it can be had under 100 euro).

Edit: Forgot to mention, use Hifishark to find deals and check Facebook Marketplace for deals.

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #20,961 of 23,458
Personally all my HD6x0 headphones came from the second hand market. Generally there is always a cheap pair available as there are quite a few out there. Mind you most of the times they need a pad swap, which adds to the price, but its possible to get one in decent shape for $100 - $140 (a bit less in eu, where you can get em from 100-140 euro regularly, tho HD580 is a better buy in that case as it can be had under 100 euro).

Edit: Forgot to mention, use Hifishark to find deals and check Facebook Marketplace for deals.
Yeah they are pretty common headphone to find on all of these forums for sale. I would probably buy the hd6xx brand new as for some reason it retains its value pretty well (30 dollars off usually when selling used)

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #20,962 of 23,458
Yeah they are pretty common headphone to find on all of these forums for sale. I would probably buy the hd6xx brand new as for some reason it retains its value pretty well (30 dollars off usually when selling used)

Just to be clear the HD6XX's are the HD650's and not the HD600's.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #20,963 of 23,458
Anyone try a silver cable with their HD600 headphones? I wonder if it makes it much brighter sounding?

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #20,964 of 23,458
Anyone try a silver cable with their HD600 headphones? I wonder if it makes it much brighter sounding?
With the HD-600 I use a Lavricables 12-core silver cable with XLR amplifier connection (to GSX-mini and to Monolith Liquid Platinum). The silver cable allows transients to occur at their full speed with realistic decay as well. To my ears, the HD 600s become more detailed and more frequency extended, have even more mid-range magic than is the case with 5N copper cables. I am even thinking about the Arctic Cable Palladium Series for the HD 600s (a real price mismatch, though) since those are absolutely stunning with Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson RAD-0...

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #20,965 of 23,458

As far as buying new, check out the different Amazon sites like UK, and Germany. Sometimes they have sales when the .com site doesn't. Also, check out Amazon Marketplace. It can be hit or miss but on a good day you can get a next to new pair for a lot less. Also, if you live in North America don't forget Black Friday.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #20,966 of 23,458
Funny thing is, back in the 90s when I had my 580s, I thought the (new) marble top colour scheme looked downright tacky. but now...love it over the plain jane new version.

I find this very odd.

I owned the 580s for 25+ years, then decided on an upgrade this year. Had to hunt down a good condition marble top model.

Happy I have them now.

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #20,967 of 23,458
I randomly took off the foam that's protecting the inner side of the drivers on my HD600 just to quickly compare the Dekoni with the stock pads and I think the result is really interesting. There's a better sense of transparency and immediacy to the sound, as if some kind of veil was removed. It sounds a bit cliché but I think it is real. I put the foams back in place to confirm my impressions. The tonality is also a bit brighter but I think this works well with the fenestrated leather pads that still tame the top end. The result is a nicely dynamic and sharp headphone that still rocks.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #20,968 of 23,458
With the HD-600 I use a Lavricables 12-core silver cable with XLR amplifier connection (to GSX-mini and to Monolith Liquid Platinum). The silver cable allows transients to occur at their full speed with realistic decay as well. To my ears, the HD 600s become more detailed and more frequency extended, have even more mid-range magic than is the case with 5N copper cables. I am even thinking about the Arctic Cable Palladium Series for the HD 600s (a real price mismatch, though) since those are absolutely stunning with Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson RAD-0...
Thanks for the recommendation. Those cables are way too expensive for the headphones I own. I did decide to get a set though. Not pure silver, but hopefully there will be some benefit to this cable. I bought on Amazon from a Chinese cable company.

1.8m (6ft) DIY Hi-end Litz Braid 8 Cores 5n Pcocc Silver Plated Headphone Upgrade Cable for Sennheiser Hd580 Hd600 Hd650
  • For Sennheiser Hd580 Hd600 Hd650,With a wooden beads slider on Y-splitter position
  • we provide 2 years warranty and replacement
  • 5N PCOCC Silver plated copper copper conductors. Clear teflon sleeve insulator material
  • Cable length:1.8meter (6feet), Connector: 3.5mm plug + 6.35mm to 3.5mm Adapter
  • Wire size :8 cores x 1mm(19*0.1mm) Litz geometry braid

$82.80.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #20,969 of 23,458
Thanks for the recommendation. Those cables are way too expensive for the headphones I own. I did decide to get a set though. Not pure silver, but hopefully there will be some benefit to this cable. I bought on Amazon from a Chinese cable company.

1.8m (6ft) DIY Hi-end Litz Braid 8 Cores 5n Pcocc Silver Plated Headphone Upgrade Cable for Sennheiser Hd580 Hd600 Hd650
  • For Sennheiser Hd580 Hd600 Hd650,With a wooden beads slider on Y-splitter position
  • we provide 2 years warranty and replacement
  • 5N PCOCC Silver plated copper copper conductors. Clear teflon sleeve insulator material
  • Cable length:1.8meter (6feet), Connector: 3.5mm plug + 6.35mm to 3.5mm Adapter
  • Wire size :8 cores x 1mm(19*0.1mm) Litz geometry braid

$82.80.
This should give you audible improvements over regular 5N copper cable in transients and in recovery, particularly over the ‘stock’ Sennheiser cable. Enjoy!

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #20,970 of 23,458
I have bought these twice in the last year (bought, sold, bought). Both sets were bought used. First set was well used and second was much fresher. I bought them for my tube amp, but really like them on my Violectric.

In Canada I bought both on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) for $300.00(Cdn.). About $225.00US.

Thanks, I think I am seeing similar prices for the used market here too.

Thanks, I will not like to use Facebook though unfortunately

As far as buying new, check out the different Amazon sites like UK, and Germany. Sometimes they have sales when the .com site doesn't. Also, check out Amazon Marketplace. It can be hit or miss but on a good day you can get a next to new pair for a lot less. Also, if you live in North America don't forget Black Friday.

Thanks, I am actually looking at Singapore (where I am at), UK and Germany Amazon but they are not sold there. I will look at US Amazon during its Black Friday then. And yes, I am actually trying to get a new pair at the usual used prices. I do recall seeing similar sales at the local audio shops too but wasn't ready for it back then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back