Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #20,926 of 23,458
Interesting...I always heard the rule of not changing the HD650 pads and assumed it applied to the 600 as well. I think I will pick up a set of the fenestrated pads. I really do love the feeling of sheepskin over velour material and a low end boosts usually isnt a bad thing.

Myself and some otherS elsewhere tried them on both. It was really pretty unanimous how it benefited 600 but not 650. Drove me to try it and I did find the same. I am enjoying HD600 in stock form so much after a couple years away from them I can't be bothered. I do have JAR600 on the way instead so I have a good baseline comparison with stock pads. I may get a pair of those pads again but I need cables right now !

Sep 27, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #20,927 of 23,458
You've already stretched out the arms? I agree that the clamp is quite a lot out of the box, but it's not any sort of problem for me now after adjusting the arms appropriately. Since they're metal, you can pull them all the way out and slightly bend them and that eases the clamp. I haven't had any desire to change to any other pads on mine at all.
For me it's just one of the things that makes the 600s what they are. I let mine break in naturally.

Besides, it makes the DT1770s feel like child's play next to the Sennheisers :D

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #20,928 of 23,458
SENNHEISER HD-600 REDISCOVERED (W/CHANGES) IN 2020: In a detour from a long-term music listening rotation which included Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 was a rediscovery of the musically valid tonal balance and naturalness of the Sennheiser HD-600. In its 'stock' form, the 600s were satisfying in the mid/upper bass (low bass: weak), outstanding in the mid-range, and decent in the treble. With two changes there was clearer and deeper retrieval of bass, a bit more body to the mid-range, and more air / shimmer in the treble. The changes were: i) Dekoni leather earpads which were a little thicker than the 'stock' earpads; (ii) Replacing the foam covering the ear-sides of the drivers with Chicopee Chix (Reg. TM) 8311 Wipes. The Chix are dry / reusable sturdy wipes that are thinner than the foam which they replaced. The Chix have a very porous design with many perforations to allow the sound to come through unimpeded. I settled on the Chix because while I really enjoyed the 600s without the ear-side foam, I wanted protection from hair, etc for the drivers. For those times when I just want to listen to music (always via headphones) and not contemplate or be dazzled by air / detail / etc, it is 600 time. As important asides, feeding the 600s are: AudioLabs 6000-CDT, Mojo Audio Mystique EVO DAC, HeadAmp GS-X Mini, and Arctic Cable Cuprum Series (XLR amp-termination). And thank you to BobG55 for guiding me to this thread. SENNHEISER HD 600 IN SEP 2020.JPG

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #20,929 of 23,458
SENNHEISER HD-600 REDISCOVERED (W/CHANGES) IN 2020: In a detour from a long-term music listening rotation which included Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 was a rediscovery of the musically valid tonal balance and naturalness of the Sennheiser HD-600. In its 'stock' form, the 600s were satisfying in the mid/upper bass (low bass: weak), outstanding in the mid-range, and decent in the treble. With two changes there was clearer and deeper retrieval of bass, a bit more body to the mid-range, and more air / shimmer in the treble. The changes were: i) Dekoni leather earpads which were a little thicker than the 'stock' earpads; (ii) Replacing the foam covering the ear-sides of the drivers with Chicopee Chix (Reg. TM) 8311 Wipes. The Chix are dry / reusable sturdy wipes that are thinner than the foam which they replaced. The Chix have a very porous design with many perforations to allow the sound to come through unimpeded. I settled on the Chix because while I really enjoyed the 600s without the ear-side foam, I wanted protection from hair, etc for the drivers. For those times when I just want to listen to music (always via headphones) and not contemplate or be dazzled by air / detail / etc, it is 600 time. As important asides, feeding the 600s are: AudioLabs 6000-CDT, Mojo Audio Mystique EVO DAC, HeadAmp GS-X Mini, and Arctic Cable Cuprum Series (XLR amp-termination). And thank you to BobG55 for guiding me to this thread.SENNHEISER HD 600 IN SEP 2020.JPG

I feel the same way about my 660's as you do about the 600's.

By the way, Very nice collection!

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #20,930 of 23,458
SENNHEISER HD-600 REDISCOVERED (W/CHANGES) IN 2020: In a detour from a long-term music listening rotation which included Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 was a rediscovery of the musically valid tonal balance and naturalness of the Sennheiser HD-600. In its 'stock' form, the 600s were satisfying in the mid/upper bass (low bass: weak), outstanding in the mid-range, and decent in the treble. With two changes there was clearer and deeper retrieval of bass, a bit more body to the mid-range, and more air / shimmer in the treble. The changes were: i) Dekoni leather earpads which were a little thicker than the 'stock' earpads; (ii) Replacing the foam covering the ear-sides of the drivers with Chicopee Chix (Reg. TM) 8311 Wipes. The Chix are dry / reusable sturdy wipes that are thinner than the foam which they replaced. The Chix have a very porous design with many perforations to allow the sound to come through unimpeded. I settled on the Chix because while I really enjoyed the 600s without the ear-side foam, I wanted protection from hair, etc for the drivers. For those times when I just want to listen to music (always via headphones) and not contemplate or be dazzled by air / detail / etc, it is 600 time. As important asides, feeding the 600s are: AudioLabs 6000-CDT, Mojo Audio Mystique EVO DAC, HeadAmp GS-X Mini, and Arctic Cable Cuprum Series (XLR amp-termination). And thank you to BobG55 for guiding me to this thread.SENNHEISER HD 600 IN SEP 2020.JPG
Borrow an OTC tube amp, and try the 600 on them. A stock built BHC destroyed my Ragnarok 1. Pretty sure the Dark Voice, Woo, and another 10-n could do similar things or perhaps better. What things? Bass reaching into the mid 30's, a wider and more cohesive sound stage, much more liquid mids - some of those dry sounding areas - just not there. Treble - also quite fine, liquidity in some cases may overcome details - but trust me - its just amazing overall.

My mods: I put some small bits of dynamat on the back of cans at the joints to cut down some of the plastic-y vibrations in the bass these produce, result tighter more linear bass with a better early impact. I also have some felt back there, but not sure if its actually doing anything but eating some of the bounce back from the rear screens.

Sep 28, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #20,932 of 23,458
Tubes and 600 go together great. I sold my gsx-mini after hearing the 600 on the upgraded liquid platinum!

It was an easy decision.
I agree with you on tubes & 600. The other headphone amplifier that I use is the Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL MZ3. A real synergy with the 600s in unbalanced mode (MZ3 has only RCA connector inputs). Ambience and soundstage are almost ‘see-through’.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #20,933 of 23,458
Might just be honymoon phase, but these HD600 are doing it for me like my HD6XX never did :beyersmile:

I was really not expecting this. Picked up the updated pair new for a great price locally, was just curious to try a HD600. I wasn't sure about it, going into it as I found the HD6XX super shouty in the vocals and heard the HD600 has more air and even more presence in the vocals. I had to do about a -3db EQ on my HD6XX to make it listenable, then I felt like I took away the one good factor of the HD6XX other than price and weight.

Anyways, what I'm hearing from the HD600 is definately a presence in the vocals, but they are not eminating from inside my head anymore like the HD6XX does. They are slightly stepped back, still intimate, but not like it's coming from inside your braind, which drove me nuts.

Everything sounds tonally rich, almost like I'm listening to music off tubes (Using an Asgard 3 with AK DAC). The low end certainly doesn't extend as well as my LCD2C (might keep around for modern bass heavy music). Would love to eventually hear the HD600 off a bottlehead crack or similar amp.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #20,934 of 23,458
Might just be honymoon phase, but these HD600 are doing it for me like my HD6XX never did :beyersmile:

I was really not expecting this. Picked up the updated pair new for a great price locally, was just curious to try a HD600. I wasn't sure about it, going into it as I found the HD6XX super shouty in the vocals and heard the HD600 has more air and even more presence in the vocals. I had to do about a -3db EQ on my HD6XX to make it listenable, then I felt like I took away the one good factor of the HD6XX other than price and weight.

Anyways, what I'm hearing from the HD600 is definately a presence in the vocals, but they are not eminating from inside my head anymore like the HD6XX does. They are slightly stepped back, still intimate, but not like it's coming from inside your braind, which drove me nuts.

Everything sounds tonally rich, almost like I'm listening to music off tubes (Using an Asgard 3 with AK DAC). The low end certainly doesn't extend as well as my LCD2C (might keep around for modern bass heavy music). Would love to eventually hear the HD600 off a bottlehead crack or similar amp.
It’s most likely a honeymoon phase. Mine began in 2003 and is still going on to this day :ksc75smile:

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #20,936 of 23,458
I seem to be one of the few that thinks the HD600 has plenty of Bass. For me it is the mid-bass hump of the HD650 that annoys me from time to time.

I did not like the LCD-2 because the Bass was too obnoxious, so I soon sold it.

Different strokes for different folks...

Hey fellow New Zealander! Yea agreed, I was expecting the HD600 to be rather lifeless and neutral in the bass, but it's certainly there and entertaining. I think the Asgard3 is failry musical AMP/DAC and give sit a lot of power, so might be that too.

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #20,937 of 23,458

600 bass is quick and tuneful but doesn't have umpph and impact on SS amps. Definitely check them out on the BHC.

Oct 6, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #20,938 of 23,458

At what frequency did you do a -3 on your HD6xx?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back