Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #20,911 of 23,458
For me the HD 600 is perfect as it is. I could live with less skull-crushing clamp but otherwise I would not like to change the sound in any way. I was thinking some really good quality leather pads would be appropriate as a physical upgrade but it seems pads do always have some affect on sound.

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #20,912 of 23,458
For me the HD 600 is perfect as it is. I could live with less skull-crushing clamp but otherwise I would not like to change the sound in any way. I was thinking some really good quality leather pads would be appropriate as a physical upgrade but it seems pads do always have some affect on sound.
Yeah no question, keep the velour pads if you want to keep the stock sound unchanged.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #20,913 of 23,458
Recently acquired a set of JARHD600's and they are a wonderful upgrade over stock! They are a bit faster and more even keeled across the spectrum. Some of the treble is toned down...clean comes to mind. I just grabbed some HD6XX's to compare to them also and will make some comparisons.

The JAR's are in the original marble finish as opposed to the new matte grey that I owned I have to say I think that I prefer the og. One of the reasons I never picked them up was the look of them and I wish I had just gone after the sonic attributes rather than the appearance.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #20,914 of 23,458
Recently acquired a set of JARHD600's and they are a wonderful upgrade over stock! They are a bit faster and more even keeled across the spectrum. Some of the treble is toned down...clean comes to mind. I just grabbed some HD6XX's to compare to them also and will make some comparisons.

The JAR's are in the original marble finish as opposed to the new matte grey that I owned I have to say I think that I prefer the og. One of the reasons I never picked them up was the look of them and I wish I had just gone after the sonic attributes rather than the appearance.

I recently fell in love with HD600 again and have JARHD600 on the way myself. Both pairs with marble finish stock ones from 2014.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #20,915 of 23,458
They really are one of the best available particularly when you are considering price/performance. I am now doing the hard work of trying to decide which set to keep. I will surely sell one of the 600's off, I do not think that I need to "collect them all"!

Sep 26, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #20,917 of 23,458
They really are one of the best available particularly when you are considering price/performance. I am now doing the hard work of trying to decide which set to keep. I will surely sell one of the 600's off, I do not think that I need to "collect them all"!

I do ! I have 4 pairs of senns... Waiting for a jarhd650 and then I'm done !

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #20,918 of 23,458
@ksorota What is a JARHD600?

image.jpg
Jupiter Audio Research mod which adds this custom 3d printed mass loading piece, plus some other materials to improve the already great 600/650.

Lots of info here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jupiter-audio-research-j-mod-hd650-mod.23188/

The maker is away on active service...so they are a bit hard to come by now but I really want a JAR650

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #20,922 of 23,458
You've already stretched out the arms? I agree that the clamp is quite a lot out of the box, but it's not any sort of problem for me now after adjusting the arms appropriately. Since they're metal, you can pull them all the way out and slightly bend them and that eases the clamp. I haven't had any desire to change to any other pads on mine at all.

Sep 26, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #20,923 of 23,458
I would definitely try out the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. It doesn't alter the sound in a negative way like on HD650. When I had HD600 a couple years ago I preferred it this way. Now that I have another pair I don't feel I need to change them. Still for anyone curious or want a little less upper mids and a little low end boost, it's worth a shot.

Sep 26, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #20,924 of 23,458
I would definitely try out the dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. It doesn't alter the sound in a negative way like on HD650. When I had HD600 a couple years ago I preferred it this way. Now that I have another pair I don't feel I need to change them. Still for anyone curious or want a little less upper mids and a little low end boost, it's worth a shot.
Indeed they sound super smooth on the HD600. I don't think I've heard many headphones sounding that way. I like this combo better than my Quad Era-1 with similar leather pads. A well driven SR-007 would probably top it but not exactly for the same cost.

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #20,925 of 23,458
Interesting...I always heard the rule of not changing the HD650 pads and assumed it applied to the 600 as well. I think I will pick up a set of the fenestrated pads. I really do love the feeling of sheepskin over velour material and a low end boosts usually isnt a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back