Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #15,151 of 23,482

I​ had returned 650 and got another 600.  

Just the opposite of my GF, she originally had a HD-600 and returned it for a HD-650.  That's why Sennheiser will keep making both, some like the HD-600 others like the HD-650.  While I prefer the HD-650 sound signature, the HD-600 is its equal with a different sound signature, neither is better than the other, its only personal preference as to which an individual will like.

I don't understand those who say one or the other is "junk", its just a personal thing that one prefers over the other.

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #15,152 of 23,482

Just the opposite of my GF, she originally had a HD-600 and returned it for a HD-650.  That's why Sennheiser will keep making both, some like the HD-600 others like the HD-650.  While I prefer the HD-650 sound signature, the HD-600 is its equal with a different sound signature, neither is better than the other, its only personal preference as to which an individual will like.

I don't understand those who say one or the other is "junk", its just a personal thing that one prefers over the other.

Yeah, this really interesting. :)

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #15,153 of 23,482
  Never heard the HD-650 as being described as "grungy-sounding" but to each his own.

The podgy bass combined with the overall warmth plus the veiled top-end led me to the "grungy" description. I think at the end of the day, anyone with a 600 is on to a good thing, can't go too far wrong.

FYI, i've done quite a few auditions with the 650, I get the same vibe from it's sonic signature every time. Not for me, imo it's a skewed headphone, no doubt about it, I just can't dig it.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #15,155 of 23,482
While LCD-2F was a clear upgrade from HD650, either was a sidegrade from HD600 at best. End up selling both and rebuying HD600.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #15,156 of 23,482
I think if audiophiles were to do a blind listening test, the 600 would come out in front. It doesn't have any character quirks, it just loves to play without misgivings.

I think if audiophiles did blind testing you would find some prefer the HD600 and some prefer the HD650.  The difference is not the headphones, it is the sound signature that each individual enjoys.  Some people will like one and some the other.

That is why they make and sell both in large numbers...

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #15,158 of 23,482

The podgy bass combined with the overall warmth plus the veiled top-end led me to the "grungy" description. I think at the end of the day, anyone with a 600 is on to a good thing, can't go too far wrong.

FYI, i've done quite a few auditions with the 650, I get the same vibe from it's sonic signature every time. Not for me, imo it's a skewed headphone, no doubt about it, I just can't dig it.

It's weird but to me the treble seems more veiled to me on the 600 than the 650, maybe I have weird copies of one or the other or both or a quirk in the shape of my ears or something.

650 doesn't sound any warmer to me at all, although it has more bass but the rest doesn't sound warmer to me.

I'm driving them with so-called 0 impedance Benchmark DAC1 PRE that doesn't alter balance due to impedance vs. frequency not being a straight line for some headphones (such as these two) and that can also easily drive 300Ohm headphones.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #15,159 of 23,482
  Except that the 650 is veiled and grungy-sounding and overly warm, yuk! Everything not desirable in a headphone, but the 600 has the ideal character, very desirable.

The 650 is a 'taste' headphone, the 600 is the headphone of the people, comes with no bias, and has charm all the way to the top, plus nice overall sonic balance, nice detail, nice neutrality, nice soundstage (depending on DAC/Amp of course) and no extremes.

Honestly, you couldn't give me a 650 for free, God is witness! I wouldn't spend a dime on that.

Wow, HD600 sounds more veiled to me.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #15,161 of 23,482
  It's weird but to me the treble seems more veiled to me on the 600 than the 650, maybe I have weird copies of one or the other or both or a quirk in the shape of my ears or something.

650 doesn't sound any warmer to me at all, although it has more bass but the rest doesn't sound warmer to me.

I'm driving them with so-called 0 impedance Benchmark DAC1 PRE that doesn't alter balance due to impedance vs. frequency not being a straight line for some headphones (such as these two) and that can also easily drive 300Ohm headphones.

When I had both before, I They sound better on different amplifiers. The amplifier drove 600 cannot drive 650 well, and vise versa. I don't mean no amplifier can drive them well simultaneously, but I did experience such before.

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #15,162 of 23,482

When I had both before, I They sound better on different amplifiers. The amplifier drove 600 cannot drive 650 well, and vise versa. I don't mean no amplifier can drive them well simultaneously, but I did experience such before.

Interesting point you make and when I think about it the tubes that I was using in either the BH Crack or Ember did influence my opinion of both a little.  This could be why I didn't care for the HD-600 driven by most SS amps while the HD-650 didn't sound as bad on the same SS amps, with tubes it was more a matter of preference in sound signature.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #15,163 of 23,482
I was stuck between the two, and since nowhere anywhere near where I live has either available for audition, I went with the HD 600 based on the raft of impressions I've read about it over the years. It just seemed like a better match for my preferences, though I would still love to hear an HD 650 someday to compare.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #15,164 of 23,482
I was stuck between the two, and since nowhere anywhere near where I live has either available for audition, I went with the HD 600 based on the raft of impressions I've read about it over the years. It just seemed like a better match for my preferences, though I would still love to hear an HD 650 someday to compare.

I was able to try out the HD650 cuz my bro had one. So when I bought a nicer set of cans, I bought the HD600 for comparison. Figured I could just return it and buy an HD650 if I liked the HD650 better......the HD600 turned out to be the one I liked more so that's what on my stand at all times.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #15,165 of 23,482

I'm just the opposite of you, all the reading in both threads led me to the HD-650 first and when I got a HD-600 a year and a half later I knew I made the right decision to start with the HD-650, but this is just personal preference and has nothing to do with one being better than the other. 

One of the reasons I went with the HD-650 first was that it seemed to be mentioned the most with many comparisons of other headphones while the HD-600 is mentioned about half as much so I figured that once I have a HD-650 I have a good reference point when reading other comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back