1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
  1. Argyris Contributor

Well, if they only last 20 years, we should be seeing our first age-related failures in original units sometime in 2017.

Somehow I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of HD 600 units pass the 50 year mark, let alone the 20 year one, unless there's some massive quantum leap in sound quality in that time period that makes all current designs obsolete. And manufacturers (including Sennheiser themselves) have been trying to do that for the past 20 years, to no avail.

2. RickB
    I do wonder about the headband cracking eventually. I'm not sure how long that part was designed to last. 

3. UtopiaB

No, not an immortal user, just an HD600 uber-geek who wants a fresh pair for every occasion[​IMG]  [​IMG]

4. Argyris Contributor

Earlier ones seemed more prone to cracking. It's nonetheless a known failure point of the design if it's overly stressed. I'd personally rather have 19 spare headbands than 20 HD 600s. They take up less space, for one thing. Throw in half a dozen sets of pads, and I would be set for life at that point, and possibly several additional lifetimes should medical science endeavor to make that possible in the future.

5. DavidA
    I think the HD-6XX series are pretty well constructed and may need only 1 or 2 spare headbands to last a persons life time while the pads will need to be replaced about once every 2-4 years depending on how much they are used.

6. Midgetguy
    Should get 2 HD600s and 18 headbands. One for home, one for work [​IMG]. And an army of pads.

DavidA likes this.
  7. madwolfa
    Bill has my original HD600, which is now like 15 years old, and I'd wager he still doesn't have any cracks in it... Just don't throw it around and you'll be fine for years to come.

8. wombatfi
    The HD600 is pretty awesome (my second favorite so far) but I find the HD650 to be even better with an expanded sound stage and a bit more detail in the treble (the bass might be just a touch too much at times but it's not too bad).

9. yangian

​Strange. Why I feel 600 has larger soundstage

UtopiaB likes this.
  10. DavidA

I think the more forward highs of the HD-600 may give it the appearance of having a wider sound stage and I think the genre of music will also influence the perception of the sound stage between both headphones.  To me they are about the same most of the time.

yangian likes this.
  11. Midgetguy
    I mainly note difference between the two to be about the warmer presentation of the HD650 vs. the more natural tonality of the HD600. Technically, both perform on a very similar level.

12. UtopiaB
    Except that the 650 is veiled and grungy-sounding and overly warm, yuk! Everything not desirable in a headphone, but the 600 has the ideal character, very desirable.

The 650 is a 'taste' headphone, the 600 is the headphone of the people, comes with no bias, and has charm all the way to the top, plus nice overall sonic balance, nice detail, nice neutrality, nice soundstage (depending on DAC/Amp of course) and no extremes.

Honestly, you couldn't give me a 650 for free, God is witness! I wouldn't spend a dime on that.

13. DavidA
    Never heard the HD-650 as being described as "grungy-sounding" but to each his own.

14. Brooko Contributor

Funny - you might be surprised with the more modern HD650.  I spent over a week with both - came away from the comparison with a lot of misconceptions erased.  I've often asked myself if my HD600 ever "bit the dust" - would I replace it with another, or maybe buy an HD650 instead.  I could really live with either.  Both have fantastic traits.

If you are interested - here is the comparison : http://www.head-fi.org/t/740942/comparison-review-part-deux-a-tale-of-two-sennheisers-hd600-vs-hd650

DavidA likes this.
  15. yangian

I​ had returned 650 and got another 600.  

UtopiaB likes this.