1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, Feb 6, 2011.
  1. Argyris Contributor

I read about somebody on here doing that once, though on a 580 rather than a 600. I wish I could find the thread. From what I gather, the Sennheiser parts department doesn't really care what you buy--theoretically if you knew all the part numbers you could build an entire 600 or 650, albeit likely at significantly increased cost over just buying one outright. Plus, you don't get driver matching, though I wonder how much that really matters these days, since these headphones are both such mature designs. Sennheisers tend to have impressively small unit to unit variation in measurements, so I imagine you'd stand a pretty good chance of getting a good match just through two randomly selected drivers.

2. Brooko Contributor

Link from Sennheiser confirming they are the same drivers please

3. Brooko Contributor

Last time I replaced the HD600 drivers on mine I bought a pair. I actually think I could have gotten away with a single. When I compared old with new there was no discernable difference to me. In my experience so far with Senns reference gear, QC seems to be pretty darn good.

4. yangian

I said I read it. I have no interest to confirm and don't care actually. If you want, you can send an email to them to ask.

5. DavidA
    I just want to read what you read, not to confirm anything as I don't care either, but since this is the first time I've heard anywhere that they are the same driver I though it would be interesting reading.

Brooko likes this.
  6. ZoNtO
    They're not the same.

1. http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/

Removed link to 2nd website

Argyris and Brooko like this.
  7. yangian

It's a Chinese website.[​IMG] And the writer even calimed the news was from an Senn. engineer and the test was done under the supervision of him.

DavidA likes this.
  8. yangian
    I have no time to read the first. But for the second, It's too similar to demonstrate anything. At least one must do some reference tests like the left and right channel of the same cans or two different 600/650 curves.

To me, I just feel the sound are too similar for both to deny the same driver claim. And it's imaginable the difference just from the different cavity.

Removed link to 2nd website

9. ZoNtO

hd6x0-drivers-in-hd650-cups-png.png

Same cup, different driver. Guess which one the HD650 is?

Most notable part of the first link is the note of the change in the HD650 driver to an aluminum voice coil. You have time to read; you just don't want to.

Brooko likes this.
  10. yangian

Thanks for pointing it out. :) So that means the coil is difference but the membranes are the same?
    That's fine. I didn't inisist on that they are same. As I said I really didn't care, since they sound too simular.

11. ZoNtO

It means the voice coil is different. The rest of the bolded is your speculation.

They obviously have a somewhat similar house sound, but anyone that can't hear the differences in bass presentation, the more forward midrange (3kHz peak) in the HD600, and differences in treble between the two probably shouldn't be spending this much on headphones.

graphCompare.png

12. yangian

Ok. Thanks! Yeah, I think the article I read before seems to emphasize that the memebrane are the same.  Anyway, the consesus is that they sound very similar. :)

I don't agree on the bold. the same cans sound different even on different amplifiers, so such differences you mentioned are exaggerated I think.

13. Brooko Contributor

I don't think any of us are saying they sound the same - most of us are saying they sound very similar.  Thanks for the links [​IMG]

14. Brooko Contributor
    First post

Quote:

Later Post

You inferred they were the same - which is why we were asking for proof on "what you had read"

Thanks to ZoNto - we have the real info. I'm glad it has been cleared up [​IMG]

ZoNtO likes this.
  15. evmedievalol
    it's been 3 weeks and still haven't received it! :frowning2: lunashoppp