Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #11,732 of 23,433
  I actually preferred the look of the HD650 to being with.....well the HD650 headband color, but the HD600 headband padding. But not long after I got them, I started to like the HD600's marbled look more. The HD650's style just seems kinda bland to me now, it feels boring and that's not what I want to be associated to listening to music.

That's exactly right. Us humans draw association quite freely. Our appreciation of a thing's practical functionality can be damaged by the aesthetic impressions we receive. When we love the look of something, and it performs brilliantly, there's a unity of pleasure that can lead to orgasm.

I must like the appearance of the HD600s more than previously thought, as I am quite regularly brought to the precipice of said climax.

Can't you just put the drivers of the 600 into the 650 shell instead if you wanted?

I wish I were braver. It arouses much fear in me to contemplate the disassembling of expensive equipment. Maybe someday I'll have a few spares to practice on, and grow confident in modding.

Just the other day I did mod my Audio Technica IM03 by cutting the stems off a few spare tips, and making spacers for the nozzle so the Sony Hybrid tips will ride higher off the end. But there wasn't much chance of breaking anything important, so it was ok.

May 31, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #11,733 of 23,433
  Can't you just put the drivers of the 600 into the 650 shell instead if you wanted?

Has anyone heard both the K7XX and K712? I thought the 712 used different drivers from the rest of the K7xx series

That's a yes. I think many have done that. The HD600 and HD650 are quite interchangeable. You could have an HD650 frame with HD600 head padding, a left HD600 driver and a right HD650 driver if you wanted to, though it's gonna sound pretty weird
tongue.gif

That's exactly right. Us humans draw association quite freely. Our appreciation of a thing's practical functionality can be damaged by the aesthetic impressions we receive. When we love the look of something, and it performs brilliantly, there's a unity of pleasure that can lead to orgasm.

I must like the appearance of the HD600s more than previously thought, as I am quite regularly brought to the precipice of said climax.

I wish I were braver. It arouses much fear in me to contemplate the disassembling of expensive equipment. Maybe someday I'll have a few spares to practice on, and grow confident in modding.

Just the other day I did mod my Audio Technica IM03 by cutting the stems off a few spare tips, and making spacers for the nozzle so the Sony Hybrid tips will ride higher off the end. But there wasn't much chance of breaking anything important, so it was ok.

Case in point, I'm very much enjoying my HE-560 right now. It's good looking, comfortable, and sounds fantastic. While I've seen and totally know that I can pretty much strip down my HD600, I'm afraid to do so cuz I feel like I'll accidentally snap something. I had that feeling just pulling the stock cable out of the cups. They were quite stiff and stuck in there and I thought I'd yank out the cable and have the connector stuck in there! I know the HD600 can be taken apart, but I don't trust myself yet to do it to one that's in great working order. I'd be less hesitant though trying to do so with a broken one, at that point it would just be a good way to satisfy curiosity.

May 31, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #11,734 of 23,433

Has anyone heard both the K7XX and K712? I thought the 712 used different drivers from the rest of the K7xx series

The K712 is a bit brighter, has a bit less bass, is more musical, and is more dynamic than the K7XX. I find the imaging and soundstaging a bit more accurate on the K712, though it could be pad wear differences. Honestly I prefer the K712 to the K7XX, as I find it to sound more natural. Swapping between the HD 600 and K712 does take some adjustment time as their presentation is quite different, but honestly I can't tell you which I think is better. The HD 600 takes a step back and the K712 is more analytical showing you where everything is placed in a recording with a bit more definition. I do find the K712 even less fatiguing than the HD 600(not that the HD 600 is fatiguing, it isn't) despite it's treble having more bite, it's partly because the K712 has cleaner, tighter, and more articulate bass as well as less clamp and a wider area the pads cover the head.

Regarding the HD 600 into the HD 650 shells, the problem is the HD 650 shells are a glossy black and the HD 600 shells are a matte black, and the titan grey grills of the HD 650 don't go well with the granite shell of the HD 600, it looks a little weird even with the black grills of the HD 600 on the HD 650 shell, also the acoustic filter over the drivers of the HD 600 and HD 650 are a bit different causing a somewhat different sound if you swap drivers. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #11,735 of 23,433
I'm looking for a desktop amp for my HD600 (budget <$500)
How about Gustard H10? Anyone has experience with HD600+H10 combo?

Technical Specifications:

Signal Input: 2x XLR female, balance

2x RCA, unbalanced

Maximum input level: +21 dBu, impedance 10kΩ

Input impedance: XLR: 10kΩ, RCA: 68kΩ

Input Sensitivity: +6 dBu

Main amplifier gain: +8 dB

Main amplifier gain adjustment range: -4 / +2 / +8 / +14 / +20 dB

Frequency response: 0-55kHz (-0.5dB)

Damping Factor:> 400 @ 50Ω

Dynamic range:> 128dB (A-weighted)

Background noise: <-100dBu (A-weighted)

THD + N (1kHz 1W @ 100Ω): <0.00035%

THD + N (1kHz 0.5W @ 32Ω): <0.0007%

Crosstalk:-110db (1kHz)

Headphone Output: 1x 6.35mm TRS Jack

output power:Different impedance has different output power
Output power: 570 mW (600 ohm load); 2200 mW (100 ohms); 2700 mW (50 ohms); 2000 mW (32 ohms); 1000 mW (16 ohms)

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #11,736 of 23,433

Nice that you are building it yourself. It's pretty cheap built so you are not exactly down the road to ruin!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be very interested to read your impressions/addition to the drama.

I finished building my O2 + ODAC, and it is definitely able to handle he HD600.  At first, I thought my M³ had better impact in the bass region, but after quickly switching back and forth between both amps, I found that I had trouble hearing any differences.  I'm not at all confident that I could pass a blind test between the O2 and M³.  If someone were to replace the innards of my M³ with an O2 board, I doubt I would notice.

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #11,737 of 23,433
  I finished building my O2 + ODAC, and it is definitely able to handle he HD600.  At first, I thought my M³ had better impact in the bass region, but after quickly switching back and forth between both amps, I found that I had trouble hearing any differences.  I'm not at all confident that I could pass a blind test between the O2 and M³.  If someone were to replace the innards of my M³ with an O2 board, I doubt I would notice.

You have discovered the truth.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #11,738 of 23,433
How "airy" does this headphone sound compared to something like the DT880 for example? From what I can tell the HD600 is more open so it'd be my first guess, but I'm not sure.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #11,739 of 23,433
  How "airy" does this headphone sound compared to something like the DT880 for example? From what I can tell the HD600 is more open so it'd be my first guess, but I'm not sure.

The dt880 is much more airy IMO.

The hd600 feels more weighted to me. Probably due to it's relatively warm/solid bass (which the dt880 lacks IMO).

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #11,740 of 23,433

You could, but wouldn't that cost too much? In my case I still don't really like the marble finish but it's flaking and I'm just going to wait for the flaking to be unbearably ugly, then I wouldn't feel sorry about taking the paint off myself and then spraying those parts with the aerosol matte black auto paint. It dries into a membrane that can be easily peeled off but otherwise that membrane is tough enough to survive most freeway debris, and if my mechanic has any left over from another car I'm gonna try it first before buying (at least, assuming it isn't a screaming bright color).

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #11,741 of 23,433
  You have discovered the truth.

And the truth comes in such a small package.  It's a much better match for my Intel NUC than the M^3, which is gigantic in comparison.

You could, but wouldn't that cost too much? In my case I still don't really like the marble finish but it's flaking and I'm just going to wait for the flaking to be unbearably ugly, then I wouldn't feel sorry about taking the paint off myself and then spraying those parts with the aerosol matte black auto paint. It dries into a membrane that can be easily peeled off but otherwise that membrane is tough enough to survive most freeway debris, and if my mechanic has any left over from another car I'm gonna try it first before buying (at least, assuming it isn't a screaming bright color).

I painted my HD580 before.  I thought it looked awesome (see my sig).  However, time has been unkind lol.  I think it's time for me to buy HD600 headband and grills for it.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #11,742 of 23,433

The dt880 is much more airy IMO.

The hd600 feels more weighted to me. Probably due to it's relatively warm/solid bass (which the dt880 lacks IMO).

^^ seconded.

Jun 2, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #11,743 of 23,433

I painted my HD580 before.  I thought it looked awesome (see my sig).  However, time has been unkind lol.  I think it's time for me to buy HD600 headband and grills for it.

Looks like the paint doesn't hold up well on the grills; in any case, I was planning on painting only the gymbals and the headband cover.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #11,745 of 23,433
I'm so happy and so sad at the same moment because I bought an HD600 , and I have to wait 2 months to get my hands on it......
biggrin.gif
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back