Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #11,716 of 23,482
With all my love for the HD600, I must say, I've always considered them stupid looking. Their aesthetics bore me, and that speckly coloration seems trite. AKG's, Beyers, even the HD598 all have quite a bit more class in their presentation.

One of these days I'd like to own a high-end phone with beautiful wood paneling. I'd feel like a proper gentlemen. 
smile.gif

When I was researching which pair to get, sound wise, the HD600s were the clear winners for my tastes and price range. I've been ever so pleased with them. Sound is far more important than looks. Still... looks can be nice too.
redface.gif

May 31, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #11,717 of 23,482
  With all my love for the HD600, I must say, I've always considered them stupid looking. Their aesthetics bore me, and that speckly coloration seems trite. AKG's, Beyers, even the HD598 all have quite a bit more class in their presentation.

One of these days I'd like to own a high-end phone with beautiful wood paneling. I'd feel like a proper gentlemen. 
smile.gif

When I was researching which pair to get, sound wise, the HD600s were the clear winners for my tastes and price range. I've been ever so pleased with them. Sound is far more important than looks. Still... looks can be nice too.
redface.gif

Yes... HD600 is a clear winner sound wise...
 However I am also not a fan of the outlook...
Imho HD598 is one of the most beautiful headphones... It is a shame they do not sound like the 600s...

I also like wood... Bamboo :) But LCDs are expensive compared to the HDs...

May 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #11,718 of 23,482

One of these days I'd like to own a high-end phone with beautiful wood paneling. I'd feel like a proper gentlemen. :smile:

When I was researching which pair to get, sound wise, the HD600s were the clear winners for my tastes and price range. I've been ever so pleased with them. Sound is far more important than looks. Still... looks can be nice too.:xf_eek:  

Just goes to show how personal aesthetics are. I've always really liked the look of the 600's.

May 31, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #11,720 of 23,482
  You should check out some of the photos in the  ​. Some really beautiful craftsmanship.

Oh! Those are nice. Very smart looking.

May 31, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #11,721 of 23,482
  Oh! Those are nice. Very smart looking.

In terms of pure beauty, these are also a winner in my opinion:

https://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-xc

And I hear the Fostex TH-900 look gorgeous in person.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml

May 31, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #11,725 of 23,482
  I thought we were discussing an HD600 mid bass hump.

Quote:

That's debatable IMO.

I love the hd600(despite recently selling mine) but others prefer the other headphones you've mentioned.
For example me and the DT880.

I find it more neutral to my ears.
For acoustic music it sounds clearer to me.
Then again, I'm a bit old and have a harder time hearing higher frequencies.

Regarding "comparison":

If you want a neutral-ish sounding headphone that features the bass/mid-bass: hd600.
If you want a neutral-ish sounding headphone that features the treble: DT880.

Both fine headphones IMO.

May 31, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #11,727 of 23,482

In terms of pure beauty, these are also a winner in my opinion:

https://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-xc

And I hear the Fostex TH-900 look gorgeous in person.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml

The LCD-XC are striking beauties. I wonder if they sound as good as they look.

May 31, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #11,730 of 23,482

I know this is a HD 600 thread, but if you're looking into getting one you should try to check out the AKG K7XX as well. I have both and find them to be similar but the K7XX seems a little more versatile and definitely more comfortable.

I've tried the K7xx, got a friend to buy a pair actually since he was looking for his first set of actual nice headphones (being originally gaming centric and using an Astro A40). I have an HD600 so I figured it would be a great way to get some headtime. In the end, I like the HD600 more. The cups on the AKGs aren't deep enough for me as my eartips will touch the inside and while they're very capable in reproduction, I just don't feel as "into the music" as I am with my HD600s. They are definitely a good-sounding set of cans though.

Just goes to show how personal aesthetics are. I've always really liked the look of the 600's.

I actually preferred the look of the HD650 to being with.....well the HD650 headband color, but the HD600 headband padding. But not long after I got them, I started to like the HD600's marbled look more. The HD650's style just seems kinda bland to me now, it feels boring and that's not what I want to be associated to listening to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back