Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #11,701 of 23,482
I love my HD600...
However as a symptom of this hobby time to time the urge appears to try something different (better?).
The problem is, it i almost impossible to find competition to the HD600 in this price range...
 I bought my HD600 for £170. (2 weeks old second hand.)
I could try the Fidelio X2 for £240... The HE-500 for £400...
But non of the comparing reviews says it is an upgrade... More like a side grade...
And the LCD-2 is £800. More than 4 times more...
 Hardly could justify that with my wallet...

So for now I remain the happy owner of the very best value for money headphone. :D

May 31, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #11,702 of 23,482
  Why can't an electric guitar or any electronic instrument be reproduced realistically?

They can.

That being said, I find the treble energy which I clearly hear in acoustic instruments a bit less prominent in the hd600 than in real-life.
Also, the mid bass hump on the hd600 IMO can add a bit of bloat on some instruments, especially a classical guitar.

May 31, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #11,703 of 23,482

Here's a bigger philosophical question for you: is there anything realistic about an electric guitar? I know you can play one without amplification or distortion...but who does that? We get a nice 

Speaking of philosophical questions, I personally believe (and have actually observed)  perceptions of realism are different in different people.
It`s therefore entirely possible that "metal571" is completely accurate in his assesment.

May 31, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #11,704 of 23,482
   Speaking of philosophical questions, I personally believe (and have actually observed)  perceptions of realism are different in different people.
It`s therefore entirely possible that "metal571" is completely accurate in his assesment.

Very valid point.

May 31, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #11,705 of 23,482

One follow-up thought:

We know that ears are individual and the "head-related transfer function" varies from person to person. I suspect this is often why some people find headphones like the HD 600 to have "natural" treble and the K701 to be "bright" or harsh" all at the same time others consider the HD 600s to be "veiled".

May 31, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #11,706 of 23,482

One follow-up thought:

We know that ears are individual and the "head-related transfer function" varies from person to person. I suspect this is often why some people find headphones like the HD 600 to have "natural" treble and the K701 to be "bright" or harsh" all at the same time others consider the HD 600s to be "veiled".

I think it's because people get mental burn in from the K701 and are very confused when hearing the K701 for the first time if used to the HD 600, for example. Everything in this hobby is extremely relative when it comes to sound signature, but one thing is for sure - the HD 600 is very close to the Harman response in terms of the midrange timbre and treble, even if the bass is rolled off. I personally highly disagree with the bass boost that Tyll suggests should be there. Does that make Tyll a basshead? Maybe - he called the PM3 neutral, which I think is quite funny.

Then we've got Beyer over here with the DT880 and then also the HD 800 and K701 which all have 6k treble spikes. I doubt they're by accident - maybe intentionally part of the companies' own diffuse field equalization, which I also disagree with in terms of sounding "flat." That's also why I like Golden Ears' measurements the best - though sometimes their CSD can be wrong on the older measurements.

May 31, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #11,707 of 23,482
  … Everything in this hobby is extremely relative when it comes to sound signature, but one thing is for sure - the HD 600 is very close to the Harman response in terms of the midrange timbre and treble, even if the bass is rolled off.

he called the PM3 neutral, which I think is quite funny.

… maybe intentionally part of the companies' own diffuse field equalization, which I also disagree with in terms of sounding "flat." That's also why I like Golden Ears' measurements the best - though sometimes their CSD can be wrong on the older measurements.

These are good points and a good reminder that there are a few big assumptions we make about what is "flat" and that there isn't a truly standardized definition (when it comes to headphone measurements, that is).

Related: I keep hearing such hype about the PM-3. I should see if I can find a place that has them and will let me demo them. Tyll remarked he thought they'd be good for monitoring applications but I don't think engineers will be likely to jump on that train.

May 31, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #11,708 of 23,482

These are good points and a good reminder that there are a few big assumptions we make about what is "flat" and that there isn't a truly standardized definition (when it comes to headphone measurements, that is).

Related: I keep hearing such hype about the PM-3. I should see if I can find a place that has them and will let me demo them. Tyll remarked he thought they'd be good for monitoring applications but I don't think engineers will be likely to jump on that train.

The PM3 is not revealing enough for monitoring and engineering applications. I've heard it - it's just a mobile headphone that sounds like a 650, but with slower bass. Very bland and uncolored otherwise, but tilted too much towards the bass.

May 31, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #11,709 of 23,482
Can anyone compare hd 8 dj and hd600? I have hd 8 dj and it is great on bass heavy music, edm, pop, remixes, rap. Only problem is that on live music, mid centric music like clasic, jazz opera and 80s hits don't sound like i want. Does hd600 sound good on those genres? Does hd600 sound good on fiio e10k + e12? How soundstage is compared? Thanks.

May 31, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,710 of 23,482
Can anyone compare hd 8 dj and hd600? I have hd 8 dj and it is great on bass heavy music, edm, pop, remixes, rap. Only problem is that on live music, mid centric music like clasic, jazz opera and 80s hits don't sound like i want. Does hd600 sound good on those genres? Does hd600 sound good on fiio e10k + e12? How soundstage is compared? Thanks.

The HD 600 sounds good with everything, but not particularly exciting with anything. HD 8 is highly colored. I haven't heard it, but measurements alone speak volumes for that basshead can already.

May 31, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #11,711 of 23,482
  The PM3 is not revealing enough for monitoring and engineering applications. I've heard it - it's just a mobile headphone that sounds like a 650, but with slower bass. Very bland and uncolored otherwise, but tilted too much towards the bass.

That doesn't surprise me.

May 31, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #11,712 of 23,482

I know this is a HD 600 thread, but if you're looking into getting one you should try to check out the AKG K7XX as well. I have both and find them to be similar but the K7XX seems a little more versatile and definitely more comfortable.

May 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #11,713 of 23,482
I know it is bassy phones, but on some songs i want more airines, beter mids, bit more sparkly highs and less bass. You think that living with such phones as hd 8 dj and listening to hd600 feels lifeles?

May 31, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #11,715 of 23,482

They can.

That being said, I find the treble energy which I clearly hear in acoustic instruments a bit less prominent in the hd600 than in real-life.
Also, the mid bass hump on the hd600 IMO can add a bit of bloat on some instruments, especially a classical guitar.

I find that in the world of headphone that mid bass hump is small. It's also possible that when coupled to different heads it presents differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back