Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #11,761 of 23,482
Well, I'm looking at the 507. I prefer oval shaped cups on my headphones.

I personally don't like the look of the square-shaped Stax headphones. As long as the cups are large enough, I don't mind circular cups. Case in point: Fidelio X1 and my current favorite HE-560. And in my case, they both also happen to look very good. I think the SR007 and SR009 are the best looking headphones in the Stax range.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #11,762 of 23,482
I personally don't like the look of the square-shaped Stax headphones. As long as the cups are large enough, I don't mind circular cups. Case in point: Fidelio X1 and my current favorite HE-560. And in my case, they both also happen to look very good. I think the SR007 and SR009 are the best looking headphones in the Stax range.

The X1 doesn't fit on my head but I do agree that as long as the cups are large enough they're fine. The AKG cups do fit well.

I think If I had a car, I wouldn't be able to try any of those either :) Music is my only personal expense.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #11,764 of 23,482
The X1 doesn't fit on my head but I do agree that as long as the cups are large enough they're fine. The AKG cups do fit well.

I think If I had a car, I wouldn't be able to try any of those either
smily_headphones1.gif
Music is my only personal expense.

The AKG cups are definitely larger than the X1 and HE-560. Looks like circular cups are a little easier for me cuz I have a smaller head
biggrin.gif
. Good luck funding that Stax purchase.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #11,766 of 23,482
No - I use them for gaming.  They image really well.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #11,767 of 23,482
Are HD600's a poor choice for gaming? In terms of directional accuracy.

It is my opinion that at the price you can get them now the hd600's are never a poor choice. I thought they were fine for gaming though im sure that is not their intended strength, i doubt you'll be missing anything.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #11,769 of 23,482
Of those 3 (and mine were the DT880)

AKG's have widest sound stage, but IMO imaging wasn't always the best - could be a bit L -------- C -------- R with not much between C and each extreme.  A lot of people game with them though.  HD600 and DT880 have more circular stage,a nd both image well.  HD600 would give you a bit more thump, whereas the DT880 can give more detail.  Depends on what you're after really.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #11,770 of 23,482
  Of those 3 (and mine were the DT880)

AKG's have widest sound stage, but IMO imaging wasn't always the best - could be a bit L -------- C -------- R with not much between C and each extreme.  A lot of people game with them though.  HD600 and DT880 have more circular stage,a nd both image well.  HD600 would give you a bit more thump, whereas the DT880 can give more detail.  Depends on what you're after really.

My concern is that the HD600's "laid-back" sound signature might make some games sound less intense than they should be.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #11,771 of 23,482
You make them sound sleepy 
wink.gif

They are no more "laid back", than they are "veiled".  The HD600 is a headphone.  It conveys sound waves.  IMO it does it rather well.  I've gamed with them for the best part of 4 years.  I've also gamed with most of the AKG 6/7 series, and also the DT880 and T1.  My personal favourite would be the T1.  My 2nd favourtite would probably be the HD600. Those are my preferences.

If you want intense as in vivid and bright - go the DT880.  If you want intense as in wide sound stage and bright - AKG.

All 3 (as I stated earlier) are great headphones.  PIck one 
smile.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #11,772 of 23,482
  You make them sound sleepy 
wink.gif

They are no more "laid back", than they are "veiled".  The HD600 is a headphone.  It conveys sound waves.  IMO it does it rather well.  I've gamed with them for the best part of 4 years.  I've also gamed with most of the AKG 6/7 series, and also the DT880 and T1.  My personal favourite would be the T1.  My 2nd favourtite would probably be the HD600. Those are my preferences.

If you want intense as in vivid and bright - go the DT880.  If you want intense as in wide sound stage and bright - AKG.

All 3 (as I stated earlier) are great headphones.  PIck one 
smile.gif

Thanks, this is helpful information. One last question about something that often gets overlooked, which of these headphones has the easiest disassembly? The HD600 seems to be fully modular, not sure about the others. I think being able to easily repair a headphone really helps extend it's lifespan.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #11,773 of 23,482

Thanks, this is helpful information. One last question about something that often gets overlooked, which of these headphones has the easiest disassembly? The HD600 seems to be fully modular, not sure about the others. I think being able to easily repair a headphone really helps extend it's lifespan.

I think the HD600 will be your best bet. I'm pretty sure all of these have replaceable pads which are easily the things that need the most attention, but I don't think the Beyer has a removable cable, while, depending on the model, the AKGs do and the HD600 obviously does. Similarly, if you end up with a dead driver, you can replace that in the HD600 while you'd have to send them back with the Beyers and AKGs. Likewise, replace the headband padding if you need to, even the entire headband. So if you're thinking about possible future upkeep, I'm minded to think that the HD600s will be the best choice.

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #11,774 of 23,482
Yep - Midgetguy has it

Heres a photo of mine in pieces.  Disassembly and reassembly is easy :wink:

The actual drivers also come out - simply by prying some tabs.  I have a photo somewhere ......

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #11,775 of 23,482
This one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back