Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #11,776 of 23,486
^ Sennheiser Ikea HD 600 
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #11,778 of 23,486
It's also the best headphone you could use to prank someone not familiar with it. "Hey sorry buddy, I might have ****ed up your headphones a bit." And they they'd have a major freakout; while they do that, you can spend the next few minutes putting it back together haha
biggrin.gif
. I'm such a terrible person.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #11,779 of 23,486
  It's also the best headphone you could use to prank someone not familiar with it. "Hey sorry buddy, I might have ****ed up your headphones a bit." And they they'd have a major freakout; while they do that, you can spend the next few minutes putting it back together haha
biggrin.gif
. I'm such a terrible person.

meanwhile you damage the voice coil and say "of course we can solder it back...don't worry"
ph34r.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #11,780 of 23,486
What headphones would you recommend, if someone wanted to keep the mids and highs of the HD600, but wants more bass. For quantity and quality as well. Deeper, punchier, faster, tighter, more bass. But not bleeding into the mids and keep the mids and highs as beautiful as they are on the 600s...
A planar maybe? But which one? HE-560? Would be nice to keep the budget to the HD600s price as much as possible...

Edit: Just checked the price of HE560, it is 3.5 times more than the HD600... Out of league for now... Can stretch to the price of two HD600s...

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #11,781 of 23,486
  What headphones would you recommend, if someone wanted to keep the mids and highs of the HD600, but wants more bass. For quantity and quality as well. Deeper, punchier, faster, tighter, more bass. But not bleeding into the mids and keep the mids and highs as beautiful as they are on the 600s...
A planar maybe? But which one? HE-560? Would be nice to keep the budget to the HD600s price as much as possible...

Edit: Just checked the price of HE560, it is 3.5 times more than the HD600... Out of league for now... Can stretch to the price of two HD600s...

Get an Alpha Dog! 

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #11,782 of 23,486

Note: this is based on listening to my friends HD-600 a few months ago so YMMV

TH-600 (most bass of these three, mids a little recessed, highs are smooth)

HE-400i (best mids of these three, bass is fast/tighter but quantity is only a little better than HD-600)

K7XX (bass quantity more and tighter than HD-600, wider sound stage, mids and highs are about like HD-650)

Need to look at the amp you are using:
HE-400i is hardest to drive of the three, like it with Lyr2 or Ember
TH-600 fairly easy on amps, can even be driven with DAP like Fiio X3ii with good results
K7XX is a little amp picky, like it best on Ember or headphone output of Teac UD-301

Hope this helps.

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #11,783 of 23,486

You can probably find a good dela somewhere on an HE-500 because the 560 is the newer model. I have both the HD600 and HE-500 and think the 500 has a further extended bass and better transient response (punchier). Keep in mind that an amp geared towards the HD600, depending on its specific specs, may not have enough juice at low impedances for some/most planars. The HE-500 does well with 1W at 38 Ohms.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #11,784 of 23,486
I've always wanted the Alpha Dog.. they look cool and measure great.. not sure why I never purchased one. I think I may have been pushed back by comments like '$100 poor headphone modified to sell for $600.. how different could it be?' The Alpha Dog or the Mad Dog Pro. Both on sale now as part of the 'Goodbye' sale on the MrSpeakers website. Going in now, personally I think Mad Dog Pro might be a better option to contrast the HD600 a bit more.

Jun 6, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #11,785 of 23,486

I wouldn't recommend the HE560 (even for a similar price) if you're looking for something with more bass. While it has better quality bass, I find there isn't that much more quantity, at least not on my DAC/amp setup. The sound can really change depending on whatever you might be using as I found there's a huge difference in sound sig between my current Topping stack and my previous FUBAR IV Plus. Other HiFiMans might work for you, I haven't tried any of them. Fidelio X1 I also quite like. I actually like those more than the HD650s that my brother own. The X1s easily have more bass than the HD600s and the quality is at least on par with if not better than the HD600 in my opinion. And they're cheaper too!

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #11,786 of 23,486
I've always wanted the Alpha Dog.. they look cool and measure great.. not sure why I never purchased one. I think I may have been pushed back by comments like '$100 poor headphone modified to sell for $600.. how different could it be?' The Alpha Dog or the Mad Dog Pro. Both on sale now as part of the 'Goodbye' sale on the MrSpeakers website. Going in now, personally I think Mad Dog Pro might be a better option to contrast the HD600 a bit more.

Tried a alpha dog that my friend had a few weeks ago, wasn't impressed much, the HD-600/650 are much better IMO.  I think the TH-600 is a better contrasting headphone to the HD-600/650, or even the HE-400i if looking the $400-500 range.  You could go way to the other side and get a Grado like I did.  Good luck with your search.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #11,787 of 23,486
Well, I took apart the right ear of my HD600s today. There was something ever so slightly loose within. When I tilted my head quickly, something thump. Not sure what it was. I just made sure everything was seated securely. That did the trick. It was probably the driver. 

I was quite nervous. Had to watch a YouTube video, replaying each step numerous times.
confused_face.gif

It's actually very easy. No tools required. They're designed well for disassembling.

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #11,788 of 23,486
  Tried a alpha dog that my friend had a few weeks ago, wasn't impressed much, the HD-600/650 are much better IMO.  I think the TH-600 is a better contrasting headphone to the HD-600/650, or even the HE-400i if looking the $400-500 range.  You could go way to the other side and get a Grado like I did.  Good luck with your search.

I wasn't the one searching but thank you. I just have an itch to purchase more headphones! My list is getting larger everyday.. I get the feeling though nothing is going to impress me like the HD600.

How come we never see special editions released nor custom versions of the HD600 for sale? Modular but not tuneable?

Jun 6, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #11,789 of 23,486
  Well, I took apart the right ear of my HD600s today. There was something ever so slightly loose within. When I tilted my head quickly, something thump. Not sure what it was. I just made sure everything was seated securely. That did the trick. It was probably the driver. 

I was quite nervous. Had to watch a YouTube video, replaying each step numerous times.
confused_face.gif

It's actually very easy. No tools required. They're designed well for disassembling.

Haha, the one where the guy looked like he went to a HD 600 academy to learn how to do that? 
tongue_smile.gif

I learnt from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM2Cb0De1Y8

I needed to slow it down and replay the first few times but after I was used to it, his speed is pretty okay.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #11,790 of 23,486
  … You could go way to the other side and get a Grado like I did.  Good luck with your search.

Nice! Which Grado did you get? I have a pair of PS500s that I put G-Cush pads on and they're noticeably "darker"* than most Grados. Sound amazing though.

*I'm not really a fan of the term. Let's say they're more balanced than the typical Grado sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back