Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #11,536 of 23,433
Hello everyone, I am looking for an amp and dac for my HD600's, my budget is ~$700 (could spend more). Anyone have a good pairing in this price range? Thanks!

You're going to get a lot of suggestions, but I will say that my O2+ODAC is very good. I got the rear input power version of the O2 amp and DAC for $280. You might want to get them separate if you intend to have different amps in the future, but there is also something to be said for the compact size of the O2+ODAC. Also note that the Rev. B ODAC just came out and it should be quite good. It improves on reliability over the original ODAC and measures even better than before. The original ODAC was quite reliable, but with the small profit margin on those things it makes sense to eliminate all reliability problems if you can. The amp and DAC work extremely well with both my HD-600 and HD-650, allowing them to be very resolving and natural. It definitely doesn't color the music much, if at all. I do still think there's something to be said for getting the components separately though, as the ODAC is very good and you can pair it with a ton of different amps. If you get the all-in-one unit, you cannot use the ODAC by itself (Although you can use the amp by itself).

May 20, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #11,537 of 23,433
  The Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ($149 USD) and Magni 2 Uber Amp ($149 USD). Use the rest of your money to enhance your next vacation.

I feel like the Uber versions are a waste of one's money. Sure the Uber amp gives you 25% more power, but at what cost? 50% more money? And what do you need the extra power for when you can't cross 50% volume on Magni 2's with the HD600 without blowing your brains out?

May 20, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #11,538 of 23,433
If I were you I would hold out until the Fiio X7 is released. MSRP is supposedly going to be $699, leaving you with a dollar to get some rocket pops and penny whistles.

I have actually owned the Fiio X5 and it was okay but the functionality and ease of use made me return it. Is there a release date for it yet?

Assuming you're looking for AMP/DAC and not actual DAP - a recent addition for me has been the iFi Micro iDSD.  It's wonderful with the HD600s - and best part, quite transportable too.  Definitely worth a look, and don't be fooled by it's small size.

Is it a waste of money if my music isn't DSD?

The Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ($149 USD) and Magni 2 Uber Amp ($149 USD). Use the rest of your money to enhance your next vacation.

Are the uber versions worth the extra?

I don't have a HD-600 but a HD-650 so I suggestion may not be perfect:
DAC:  Teac UD-301 currently $300 after rebates (I prefer this over my Bifrost, gives the music more life, better dynamics IMO, neutral sounding to most)
AMP:  Project Ember II, $350 (plus $50 for 12AX7 Telefunken), Total $400 (very flexible amp, input gain adjustment and output resistance/impedance adjustment)-I have original version.
Just my 2 cents
PS: I am still on the fence with getting a HD-600 but if it goes down to $229 again I think I'm going to get one.

What is the difference between the project ember II's default tube and the 12AX7 that you bought in terms of sound quality? I have owned the HD650 and HD600, I like the bassier sound of the 650 but thought it was too dark which is why I went with the HD600's.

May 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #11,539 of 23,433

You're going to get a lot of suggestions, but I will say that my O2+ODAC is very good. I got the rear input power version of the O2 amp and DAC for $280. You might want to get them separate if you intend to have different amps in the future, but there is also something to be said for the compact size of the O2+ODAC. Also note that the Rev. B ODAC just came out and it should be quite good. It improves on reliability over the original ODAC and measures even better than before. The original ODAC was quite reliable, but with the small profit margin on those things it makes sense to eliminate all reliability problems if you can. The amp and DAC work extremely well with both my HD-600 and HD-650, allowing them to be very resolving and natural. It definitely doesn't color the music much, if at all. I do still think there's something to be said for getting the components separately though, as the ODAC is very good and you can pair it with a ton of different amps. If you get the all-in-one unit, you cannot use the ODAC by itself (Although you can use the amp by itself).

Okay is the ODAC worth the extra money over the modi 2 (ordering from amazon the ODAC is $150 while the modi 2 is $100-$120)? I like the look of the ODAC but hate how they put the inputs on the front of it.

May 20, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #11,540 of 23,433

+++++++ 1

May 20, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #11,541 of 23,433
  Is it a waste of money if my music isn't DSD?

No - it's not.  I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't really like it with the HD600.

I've been completely satisfied with my NFB-12 and LD MKIV up to now - with both the HD600 and T1.  I got the Micro iDSD a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now going to eb chaning mys system around with this unit as the central part.

If you check any of my reviews / bio etc  - you'll find out that:
  • I try to be pretty objective when i evaluate - volume matching with an SPL meter, comparing blind (with the help of my wife or kids) etc
  • My personal threshold for transparency is actually aac256.  If taken from same master, and then accurately transcoded to aac256 - I can't tell the difference between that, DSD, high-res (name your bit and sample rate).  Virtually all of my library is redbook because of this.  

The fact that I'm swtiching to the iDSD after years with the NFB-12 and LDMKIV (which are truly wonderful with the HD600) should indicate my thoughts on the iDSD.  Very resolving.  Very configurable.

Oh - and I do have some DSD recordings - but that was mainly because I liked the mastering, and couldn't get it elsewhere.

May 20, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #11,542 of 23,433

No - it's not.  I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't really like it with the HD600.

I've been compeltely satisfied with my NFB-12 and LD MKIV up to now - with both the HD600 and T1.  I got the Micro iDSD a couple of weeks ago, and I'm now going to eb chaning mys system around with this unit as the central part.

If you check any of my reviews / bio etc  - you'll find out that:
  • I try to be pretty objective when i evaluate - volume matching with an SPL meter, comparing blind (with the help of my wife or kids) etc
  • My personal threshold for transparency is actually aac256.  If taken from same master, and then accurately transcoded to aac256 - I can't tell the difference between that, DSD, high-res (name your bit and sample rate).  Virtually all of my library is redbook because of this.  

The fact that I'm swtiching to the iDSD after years with the NFB-12 and LDMKIV (which are truly wonderful with the HD600) should indicate my thoughts on the iDSD.  Very resolving.  Very configurable.

Thanks for the info and recommendation. The only reason I asked about the DSD is because I only really listen to aac256 or 320 mp3's.

May 20, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #11,543 of 23,433

What is the difference between the project ember II's default tube and the 12AX7 that you bought in terms of sound quality? I have owned the HD650 and HD600, I like the bassier sound of the 650 but thought it was too dark which is why I went with the HD600's.

The stock tube is fairly good but the Telefunken 12AX7 has more lower end extension, the mids sound fuller and smoother, the highs are smoother and better extended. 

May 21, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #11,544 of 23,433

Okay is the ODAC worth the extra money over the modi 2 (ordering from amazon the ODAC is $150 while the modi 2 is $100-$120)? I like the look of the ODAC but hate how they put the inputs on the front of it.

The ODAC has a USB input on rear and the outputs are on the front (It can be RCA or a single 3.5mm). The O2+ODAC unit has a USB input in rear and optional rear power input (I have this option, so the only cable coming out of the front of my O2+ODAC unit is my headphone cable). If you get the O2 and ODAC as separate units then you will not have something which looks as nice as the Schiit stack if you try to stack them. So, if you just want a simple clean look then you can always get the O2+ODAC as a single unit with the optional rear power input and it will be a very clean setup. 

May 21, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #11,545 of 23,433

I feel like the Uber versions are a waste of one's money. Sure the Uber amp gives you 25% more power, but at what cost? 50% more money? And what do you need the extra power for when you can't cross 50% volume on Magni 2's with the HD600 without blowing your brains out?

I'll agree that for most applications the extra Uber power is not that significant and have previously posted the difference in dB, This amp is versatile and can drive a variety of headphones. The Uber has preamp outs that I find useful and a better case that for an additional $50 USD. That's not much of a premium in the audio product space. If one is short on cash the non Uber is available.

May 21, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #11,546 of 23,433
Hello everyone, I am looking for an amp and dac for my HD600's, my budget is ~$700 (could spend more). Anyone have a good pairing in this price range? Thanks!

Hello, I have the HD600 and they sounds fantastic with all my amps with the exception of my JDS Labs O2. On the other hand my O2 sounds fine with all my headphones except the HD600. I would not pair these two together.

BTW I do not listen to music with a computer. I listen to actual old skool CD's... using a player to spin them and send the signal to an external DAC. 

May 21, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #11,547 of 23,433
I'm running the lowest spec system of all of you lol. Topping TP30mkII for amp, Topping D20 for the DAC. Quite happy with it
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #11,548 of 23,433
Hello, I have the HD600 and they sounds fantastic with all my amps with the exception of my JDS Labs O2. On the other hand my O2 sounds fine with all my headphones except the HD600. I would not pair these two together.

BTW I do not listen to music with a computer. I listen to actual old skool CD's... using a player to spin them and send the signal to an external DAC. 

What other amps do you use with the HD600 and what don't you like about the O2?

May 22, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #11,549 of 23,433
10 years ago, I used the HD600 with a cmoy amp.  I found it rather nice, but quickly sold it off to try other stuff.

Last week, I got tempted by the $229 HD600 deal and placed an order.  I'm now running a far more respectable setup(gamma1 DAC and M^3 amp).  I was blown away when I tried the HD600. I was not expecting to be so thrilled by a repurchasing a headphone that didn't really hold a huge wow factor for me 10 years ago.   I felt a pang of regret when I placed the order and thought for sure that I would end up with buyer's remorse.  I'm very happy to be wrong.

Needless to say, I find the gamma1 and M^3 (with AD8610 opamps iirc) to be a great match for the HD600.  I don't know how it fits into the previously mentioned $700 budget though.  I built my amp and DAC 5 years ago, and I have no idea how much they cost fully assembled.

May 22, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #11,550 of 23,433
hey guys! I've just snagged a pair of HD 600s off ebay, after months of seeing it pop up every where. I'm coming from the beyer T1's presentation, so I'm hoping to get a different presentation. :wink:
For now, I'll be powering them with my humble O2/ODAC combo (which I also use for T1s and sound remarkably clear!).
I have a question on upgrading cables for the hd600. any advice in that department?
Music taste is quite general but I like heavier, fuller bass for my metal, rock, edm, but spend time with classical too!
Thanks for your replies.
Best, aton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back