Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #11,521 of 23,482

I'm not familiar with the current prices but when I bought the 598 it was listed for 180€ (I guess it should be about 160 now) and the HD 600 for 280€ (though I've also seen it for 230€ some time ago).
Okay, that's still a price gap of about 100€ but imo the difference is worth it, but even in the HD 598's price range, there are technically better headphones like the AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition (or the Philips Fidelio which I haven't heard yet). The only striking strenght of the 598 is, imo, the good soundstage - it is very spacious in either width and depth (unlike the K701 wich is only capable of width or the Beyerdynamic which has got a rather small soundstage though it is 3-dimensional).
I wouldn't call the 598 bad but not worth the money you pay as there are better 'phones for ~200€. Despite, you get to hear the typical Sennheiser sound with them.

Imo, the HD 600 is the Sennheiser with the best money-to-sound-value. Sure, my HD 800 obviously beats my HD 600, but the sound is not four times better and the HD 600 is the more reasonable headphone.

I own K702 and DT880/600 and couldn't disagree more with your assessment. For example, the Beyers are capable of throwing such an enveloping soundfield (not soundstage, headphones can't produce one) that sometimes I have to take them off to make sure the speakers aren't playing.

Each one's perception is different, especially the one of how one perceives the soundstage (yes, I'll call it that way as I can get some kind of speaker-like experience, depending on the headphone, if I close my eyes, but it is closer to my head than with speakers for sure). Without hrtf-adjusted dsp and equalization, one will not be able to hear a real out of the head experience with the soundstage being built up before one's head with headphones though I perceive some neutral iems to come close to it.
At least to me, the DT880's (also 600 Ohms) soundstage is three-dimensional yet small (in terms of width) in comparison to the HD 598/800 or K701.

But as I said, I feel that the biggest disagreements between different people describing the same headphone come up when they are about to describe the soundstage (/enveloping soundfield).

Nonetheless, Imo the K701/2, DT880 and hD600/650 are good in their own way and the HD 598 is one step below.

May 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #11,522 of 23,482
. i can't excuse the cheapo plastic on the 600/650 though, i have always had to treat them with such care to avoid chipping the paint or cracking the thin plastic. which is all perfectly well and good for a home/desk headphone. but i couldn't imagine purchasing Senn circumaural for on the go use.

I have never felt that the build quality of the 600's was lacking. It's moulded plastic no paint involved AFAIK.
You would have to be pretty inconsiderate to use the 600 in public. They don't so much leak as broadcast!

May 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,523 of 23,482
Each one's perception is different, especially the one of how one perceives the soundstage (yes, I'll call it that way as I can get some kind of speaker-like experience, depending on the headphone, if I close my eyes, but it is closer to my head than with speakers for sure). Without hrtf-adjusted dsp and equalization, one will not be able to hear a real out of the head experience with the soundstage being built up before one's head with headphones though I perceive some neutral iems to come close to it.
At least to me, the DT880's (also 600 Ohms) soundstage is three-dimensional yet small (in terms of width) in comparison to the HD 598/800 or K701.

But as I said, I feel that the biggest disagreements between different people describing the same headphone come up when they are about to describe the soundstage (/enveloping soundfield).

Nonetheless, Imo the K701/2, DT880 and hD600/650 are good in their own way and the HD 598 is one step below.

Try using better equipment and source material.

May 16, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #11,524 of 23,482

i feel kind of the same way. i've heard a variety of the cheaper Senns over the years, even owned several of them. while they can be fine, i have always felt that Senn really only starts with the HD 600. it's been forever since i've heard one, but i have been a longtime owner of the HD 650 which i love for its own part. i can't excuse the cheapo plastic on the 600/650 though, i have always had to treat them with such care to avoid chipping the paint or cracking the thin plastic. which is all perfectly well and good for a home/desk headphone. but i couldn't imagine purchasing Senn circumaural for on the go use. though evidently some of their newer ones may be better in that regard (and certainly the 800 of course), i have always preferred beyerdynamic for build quality.

Well you definitely can use something like an HD600/650 out and about, but I don't know how cans like the Momentum and Urbanites fair. It's almost like they knew you'd only use their open cans at home and their closed cans would be built better so you could bring them around with you......

I'm not familiar with the current prices but when I bought the 598 it was listed for 180€ (I guess it should be about 160 now) and the HD 600 for 280€ (though I've also seen it for 230€ some time ago).
Okay, that's still a price gap of about 100€ but imo the difference is worth it, but even in the HD 598's price range, there are technically better headphones like the AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition (or the Philips Fidelio which I haven't heard yet). The only striking strenght of the 598 is, imo, the good soundstage - it is very spacious in either width and depth (unlike the K701 wich is only capable of width or the Beyerdynamic which has got a rather small soundstage though it is 3-dimensional).
I wouldn't call the 598 bad but not worth the money you pay as there are better 'phones for ~200€. Despite, you get to hear the typical Sennheiser sound with them.

Imo, the HD 600 is the Sennheiser with the best money-to-sound-value. Sure, my HD 800 obviously beats my HD 600, but the sound is not four times better and the HD 600 is the more reasonable headphone.

Well admittedly my argument doesn't really hold up with the HD598 cuz I'd agree that the the 598 should definitely be cheaper than it is. n terms of the HD558 though which is what I have experience with, I think the argument holds well. The HD558 retails for less than half of the HD600 in the US and it still sounds pretty good. But the HD598 certainly is too much, being only a measly $50 less than the HD600. I have experience with the Fidelio X1 and for the $170 I got mine at, it sounds fantastic. That price-to-performance ratio feels like it's gotten better by the week for the HD600 recently. I'd say it's not only a great headphone by quality, but absolutely killer value.

I have never felt that the build quality of the 600's was lacking. It's moulded plastic no paint involved AFAIK.
You would have to be pretty inconsiderate to use the 600 in public. They don't so much leak as broadcast!

I think that as long as you're not just tossing your headphones around (which, come on, you shouldn't be doing that anyway), they stand up just fine. I think it's actually molded plastic with a paint/pattern coat, then a clear coat. I've seen used eBay listings where there's pictures showing the edges of the headbands with chips in it.
Open cans in public don't work out for any party involved! Others can hear what you're hearing and for you to hear it and enjoy, you have to crank it so high you might as well be carrying a speakers with you.

May 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #11,525 of 23,482
  Imo everything (related to circumaural headphones) below the HD 600 isn't worth carrying the name Sennheiser.

Before I go deeper in terms of differences between both, I want to clarify that the HD 598 will sound bloated when being connected to a high impedance source such as a speaker amp's or CD player's headphone jack due to the impedance peak in the lower frequencies. The HD 600 may also sound bassier on high impedance sources (as it also has got an impedance peak in the lower frequency range but it will be less significant as they have got the higher impedance in generaal), but I haven't connected mine to such as I only drive them with low impedance gear (I didn't have low impedance gear when I bought the 598 back then).

Being connected to a rather low impedance source, both share a pretty similar sound signature with a moderately warm touch but the HD 600 will sound brighter as it has more lower highs. Expect to the same direction they head tonality-wise, they differ pretty much in my perception. The HD 600 has definitely got the better resolution and also the significantly better bass quality in terms of speed and control. I really dislike the HD 598's low range as it is pretty slow and rather muddy, the only music I could bear with it is slower Jazz.
Soundstage-wise, the HD 598's stage is definitely wider than the HD 600's but the HD 600 is better at presenting soundstage depth.
The HD 598 is quite good at handling rather slow music with rather few instruments but kind of sucks with the rest.

Here in Germany, I am not the only one who shares those points of view mentioned above.

Quality-wise, the HD 600's sound is a step forward but if you didn't like the tonality, you might look into something with more bass if you want to head in the direction of you ATH-M50x's sound signature. Maybe something warmer/bassier like the HD 650 or the Philips Fidelio M2 (though I haven't heard it yet).

I'm actually looking for something with a significantly different sound signature than my M50x just to change things up, so the brighter highs on the 600 would be preferable. I'm not concerned with bass so much as really clear, detailed mids and highs. Thanks for the reply!

May 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #11,526 of 23,482
Finally got to try these and I was really impressed with the sound. Balanced and very natural sounding with good lower end umph and very engaging. A pair of these is on my short list for sure.

May 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #11,527 of 23,482
Try using better equipment and source material.

the source material is not the problem (CDs and partly HiRes from Linn Records and Chesky Records) and neither is the equipment (but this is Head-Fi, so I know that mentioning blind test wouldn't "help" and discussions wouldn't lead to anything).

Let's arrange that each one's perception is different and that you perceive the DT880's presentation as three-dimensional and spacious and I only perceive it as three-dimensional with only moderate spaciousness (in terms ow width).
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #11,528 of 23,482
I recently bought the HD598 at 149$ CAD. Good deal, except that i'm not thrilled by the sound. The overall sound is spatial and gentle, but lacks the "fun". I'm no basshead, but I really feel that they iforgot the bass on these HD598. I also own the HD25, the Amperior and the PX100-IIi, all of which i Truly enjoy for what they are. And I hate all Beats headphones and the like. But I guess I may be more of a basshead that I want to admit? I also received the Over Ear Momentum two years ago but I never use them, not that they lack bass, but because they lack Rythmn, fastness, "fun". Some will say that the Momentum over ear, as the HD598', lack the "Prat". Anyways, I would like so much to love my HD598 more than I do. They do nothing wrong, they happen to do a good job as a "video" headphone (for TV, movies,) as they are extremely comfortable and "3D", but they lack the sense of rythmn that I need while listening to music. The bass is really its weakest point, especially right out a portable unit such as iPad/iPhone. It is also a bit too bright (highs). It is not as bad from my Harman/Kardon integrated amp from its headphone out socket, but not to my taste. Would I be enjoying the HD600 more? Is the bass a lot better? I don't know. What do you think? Am I brainwashed by the HD25/Amperior fast/prat sound beyond rescue? The HD600 can be had for 270$ USD these days on Amazon, a good deal. Should I dive into such a purchase? Or is there so little difference between HD598 and HD600 that i'm throwing money by the windows? Any thoughts?

May 17, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #11,529 of 23,482
Does anyone have both hd600 and Mad dogs? I read some comments, saying MD's are better than hd600. Is that true? And I can get hd600 for a lower price than MD.

May 17, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #11,530 of 23,482
The bass [of the HD 598] is really its weakest point, especially right out a portable unit such as iPad/iPhone. It is also a bit too bright (highs). It is not as bad from my Harman/Kardon integrated amp from its headphone out socket, but not to my taste.

On a portable device that has got a rather low impedance the HD 598 will sound more "accurate"/like Sennheiser intended them to sound, which is obviously not bassy enough for you. On the other hand, when connected to a CD player's output or an integrated stereo amp that has usually a rather high output impedance, you will gain more bass due to the impedance peak in the low frequency range, that's why you like it better with your H/K amp.

Would I be enjoying the HD600 more? Is the bass a lot better?

In terms of quality, the HD 600 has got the better bass but you most likely won't like it as it doesn't have more quantity than the HD 598. You could try the Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 as, some have already suggested in this thread, as it seems that you like a rather bassy basement. The HD 600 and 598 have got a pretty similar tonality with the HD 600 even being a bit brighter.

May 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #11,532 of 23,482
Hello everyone, I am looking for an amp and dac for my HD600's, my budget is ~$700 (could spend more). Anyone have a good pairing in this price range? Thanks!
If I were you I would hold out until the Fiio X7 is released. MSRP is supposedly going to be $699, leaving you with a dollar to get some rocket pops and penny whistles.

May 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #11,533 of 23,482
Hello everyone, I am looking for an amp and dac for my HD600's, my budget is ~$700 (could spend more). Anyone have a good pairing in this price range? Thanks!

Assuming you're looking for AMP/DAC and not actual DAP - a recent addition for me has been the iFi Micro iDSD.  It's wonderful with the HD600s - and best part, quite transportable too.  Definitely worth a look, and don't be fooled by it's small size.

May 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #11,534 of 23,482

The Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ($149 USD) and Magni 2 Uber Amp ($149 USD). Use the rest of your money to enhance your next vacation.

May 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #11,535 of 23,482

I don't have a HD-600 but a HD-650 so I suggestion may not be perfect:
DAC:  Teac UD-301 currently $300 after rebates (I prefer this over my Bifrost, gives the music more life, better dynamics IMO, neutral sounding to most)
AMP:  Project Ember II, $350 (plus $50 for 12AX7 Telefunken), Total $400 (very flexible amp, input gain adjustment and output resistance/impedance adjustment)-I have original version.
Just my 2 cents
PS: I am still on the fence with getting a HD-600 but if it goes down to $229 again I think I'm going to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back