Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #11,551 of 23,482
hey guys! I've just snagged a pair of HD 600s off ebay, after months of seeing it pop up every where. I'm coming from the beyer T1's presentation, so I'm hoping to get a different presentation. :wink:
For now, I'll be powering them with my humble O2/ODAC combo (which I also use for T1s and sound remarkably clear!).
I have a question on upgrading cables for the hd600. any advice in that department?
Music taste is quite general but I like heavier, fuller bass for my metal, rock, edm, but spend time with classical too!
Thanks for your replies.
Best, aton

Please. Forget cables.

May 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #11,553 of 23,482
Please. Forget cables.

Stock cable is fine no need for upgrade unless you need a short one for portable use. Here is a good easy on the budget one.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/tennmak-sennheiser-hd600-650-short-cable/reviews/13066

May 22, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #11,554 of 23,482
  hey guys! I've just snagged a pair of HD 600s off ebay, after months of seeing it pop up every where. I'm coming from the beyer T1's presentation, so I'm hoping to get a different presentation. :wink:
For now, I'll be powering them with my humble O2/ODAC combo (which I also use for T1s and sound remarkably clear!).
I have a question on upgrading cables for the hd600. any advice in that department?
Music taste is quite general but I like heavier, fuller bass for my metal, rock, edm, but spend time with classical too!
Thanks for your replies.
Best, aton

My stock HD600 cable developed a short and I bought an HD650 cable (plus an extra one for backup). I like it a lot more than the stock cable. More sturdy and well-built. However, it doesn't have a 3.5mm plug built-in (which I never used on the stock anyway). I wouldn't get it unless I needed it, but I do think it's the better cable.

May 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #11,555 of 23,482

My stock HD600 cable developed a short and I bought an HD650 cable (plus an extra one for backup). I like it a lot more than the stock cable. More sturdy and well-built. However, it doesn't have a 3.5mm plug built-in (which I never used on the stock anyway). I wouldn't get it unless I needed it, but I do think it's the better cable.

does it sound better?

May 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #11,559 of 23,482
I have both cables. The 650 cable sounds a little brighter and bit more sibilant. I greatly prefer the stock cable.

oh...didn't expect that......
eek.gif

May 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #11,560 of 23,482

Stock cable is fine no need for upgrade unless you need a short one for portable use. Here is a good easy on the budget one.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/tennmak-sennheiser-hd600-650-short-cable/reviews/13066

+1. No need to get a new cable unless you want a shorter one. I'm using one of these, but mine just has red cables above the y-split cuz they didn't make it in black before:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Replacement-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD430-HD650-HD600-HD580-headphone-/281645092022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item41935b0cb6
A short cable is much nicer to deal with for desktop use and still long enough to have just a little slack. I think I bought a 1.2m cable.

May 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #11,561 of 23,482
What other amps do you use with the HD600 and what don't you like about the O2?

I have a Little Dot MKIII that sounds absolutely fantastic with the HD600's especially with the Voshkod driver tubes. I also have a Keces HA-171 amp that's my go to amp with the HD600, I also have a Beresford Capella amplifier that sounds superb! Even my Beresford Bushmaster MK II amp\DAC sounds awesome with the HD600, just a great headphone

A member made some comments on the HD600 & O2 not sounding good together (I believe it was just an over the top statement about the O2) so I tried them together and unfortunately he was correct. Sound was grainy, nasty and unclean. Maybe it had something to do with my other equipment but it wasn't good...

BTW I do really like my O2 and think it's an exceptional amplifier especially for the price but it just didn't work out for me in my setup with the HD600...which was an Onkyo Integra DX-C606 CD player feeding a Maverick Audio D-2 (SS outputs) into the O2. 

May 22, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #11,562 of 23,482
A member made some comments on the HD600 & O2 not sounding good together (I believe it was just an over the top statement about the O2) so I tried them together and unfortunately he was correct. Sound was grainy, nasty and unclean. Maybe it had something to do with my other equipment but it wasn't good...

BTW I do really like my O2 and think it's an exceptional amplifier especially for the price but it just didn't work out for me in my setup with the HD600...which was an Onkyo Integra DX-C606 CD player feeding a Maverick Audio D-2 (SS outputs) into the O2. 

I've never heard my O2 / 600 sound like that. Very clean. I've sometimes thought that I might like a weightier warmer sound but cannot fault it as a neutral sounding combo.

May 22, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #11,563 of 23,482
  I have a Little Dot MKIII that sounds absolutely fantastic with the HD600's especially with the Voshkod driver tubes. I also have a Keces HA-171 amp that's my go to amp with the HD600, I also have a Beresford Capella amplifier that sounds superb! Even my Beresford Bushmaster MK II amp\DAC sounds awesome with the HD600, just a great headphone

You may have been overloading the O2 input. I believe the design is suseptible to that as the inputs go directly to an opamp rather than the volume control for early attenuation.

May 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #11,564 of 23,482
I believe the output of the Onk is 2V. The O2 (in the same setup) sounds great with all my other headphones btw. 

May 22, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #11,565 of 23,482

I tend to agree. You can do a lot better with the HD600. Tubes or solid-state...the HD600 will still scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back