Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #11,508 of 23,482
I've replaced the stock foam covering the drivers with a layer of my mom's old stockings.

Perhaps they were new and not used. 
tongue.gif

May 14, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #11,509 of 23,482
May 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #11,511 of 23,482
Got to borrow the HD600's from a friend recently, I admittedly have always been an HD650 kind of guy but really enjoyed my experience listening to them through my Decware Taboo.  It's just an all around pleasing headphone that doesn't do anything wrong to my ears.  Now that these have come down in price (seems like there's a lot of sales) they seem like the best deal in audio, even though they've been around a long time.  Definitely gives me something to aspire to!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 15, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #11,512 of 23,482
  Got to borrow the HD600's from a friend recently, I admittedly have always been an HD650 kind of guy but really enjoyed my experience listening to them through my Decware Taboo.  It's just an all around pleasing headphone that doesn't do anything wrong to my ears.  Now that these have come down in price (seems like there's a lot of sales) they seem like the best deal in audio, even though they've been around a long time.  Definitely gives me something to aspire to!

I own the HD600s (bought mine maybe a year ago) and for several years now my bro has owned the HD650. I listened to them one day and while they both sound good, I gravitated towards the HD600 more. Something about it just sounds more "right" to my ears than the HD650.

May 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #11,513 of 23,482

I own the HD600s (bought mine maybe a year ago) and for several years now my bro has owned the HD650. I listened to them one day and while they both sound good, I gravitated towards the HD600 more. Something about it just sounds more "right" to my ears than the HD600.

Having owned both I agree.

The 650s heighten the "soft" spots inherent in the 600s IMO.
More bass less treble in the 650 that is.A bit too wooly for me.

May 16, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #11,514 of 23,482
How much better do the HD600s sound than the 598s? I tried out the 598, and though there wasn't really anything wrong with them, they just didn't really wow me.  Like someone mentioned, there are a lot of great sales right now, but I still wouldn't want to pay $230+ if they aren't significantly better. Do you think I'd like the 600 if I'm not  a huge fan of the 598 basic sound signature?

May 16, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #11,515 of 23,482
Imo everything (related to circumaural headphones) below the HD 600 isn't worth carrying the name Sennheiser.

Before I go deeper in terms of differences between both, I want to clarify that the HD 598 will sound bloated when being connected to a high impedance source such as a speaker amp's or CD player's headphone jack due to the impedance peak in the lower frequencies. The HD 600 may also sound bassier on high impedance sources (as it also has got an impedance peak in the lower frequency range but it will be less significant as they have got the higher impedance in generaal), but I haven't connected mine to such as I only drive them with low impedance gear (I didn't have low impedance gear when I bought the 598 back then).

Being connected to a rather low impedance source, both share a pretty similar sound signature with a moderately warm touch but the HD 600 will sound brighter as it has more lower highs. Expect to the same direction they head tonality-wise, they differ pretty much in my perception. The HD 600 has definitely got the better resolution and also the significantly better bass quality in terms of speed and control. I really dislike the HD 598's low range as it is pretty slow and rather muddy, the only music I could bear with it is slower Jazz.
Soundstage-wise, the HD 598's stage is definitely wider than the HD 600's but the HD 600 is better at presenting soundstage depth.
The HD 598 is quite good at handling rather slow music with rather few instruments but kind of sucks with the rest.

Here in Germany, I am not the only one who shares those points of view mentioned above.

Quality-wise, the HD 600's sound is a step forward but if you didn't like the tonality, you might look into something with more bass if you want to head in the direction of you ATH-M50x's sound signature. Maybe something warmer/bassier like the HD 650 or the Philips Fidelio M2 (though I haven't heard it yet).

May 16, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,516 of 23,482
  Imo everything (related to circumaural headphones) below the HD 600 isn't worth carrying the name Sennheiser.

Before I go deeper in terms of differences between both, I want to clarify that the HD 598 will sound bloated when being connected to a high impedance source such as a speaker amp's or CD player's headphone jack due to the impedance peak in the lower frequencies. The HD 600 may also sound bassier on high impedance sources (as it also has got an impedance peak in the lower frequency range but it will be less significant as they have got the higher impedance in generaal), but I haven't connected mine to such as I only drive them with low impedance gear (I didn't have low impedance gear when I bought the 598 back then).

Being connected to a rather low impedance source, both share a pretty similar sound signature with a moderately warm touch but the HD 600 will sound brighter as it has more lower highs. Expect to the same direction they head tonality-wise, they differ pretty much in my perception. The HD 600 has definitely got the better resolution and also the significantly better bass quality in terms of speed and control. I really dislike the HD 598's low range as it is pretty slow and rather muddy, the only music I could bear with it is slower Jazz.
Soundstage-wise, the HD 598's stage is definitely wider than the HD 600's but the HD 600 is better at presenting soundstage depth.
The HD 598 is quite good at handling rather slow music with rather few instruments but kind of sucks with the rest.

Here in Germany, I am not the only one who shares those points of view mentioned above.

Quality-wise, the HD 600's sound is a step forward but if you didn't like the tonality, you might look into something with more bass if you want to head in the direction of you ATH-M50x's sound signature. Maybe something warmer/bassier like the HD 650 or the Philips Fidelio M2 (though I haven't heard it yet).

My more bassy alternative to the HD600 is the Fidelio X1. Very good headphone for less than the HD600. And I feel like the soundstage is larger on the X1 than the HD600, although vocals feel weirdly at odds with that and are a little more intimate. I, for one, think that the 5x8 offerings are worthy of Sennheiser's name. And it works as a great marketing tool. Think about it this way: not everyone is inclined to outright buy something like the HD600 right off the bat, it's a little too pricey. Enter the HD5x8 series; they're much more affordable (at least the HD558 I bought anyway) and they offer a glimpse of the Sennheiser sound and quality. Now you're hooked and curious. Eventually when you have the funds to step up, you need a better baseline for sound quality before jumping to the really high-end flagship stuff. Now's when you buy the HD600 and get an appreciation for what audio gear done right sounds like. Not only have you made money off the same customer multiple times, you've also added a new fan to the legion of people that own and love their Sennheiser headphones.

This is the line of progression I made. I started on the HD558, liked it, thought it was a good set of cans for what I paid. They when I finally had more money, I could move up to something nicer, the HD600 which is now my stable favorite and reference for sound quality.

Having owned both I agree.

The 650s heighten the "soft" spots inherent in the 600s IMO.
More bass less treble in the 650 that is.A bit too wooly for me.

Whoops, I meant I preferred the HD600s to the HD650 (not sure if that's what you also mean or if that's how you read my post). I've edited it now.

May 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #11,517 of 23,482

i feel kind of the same way. i've heard a variety of the cheaper Senns over the years, even owned several of them. while they can be fine, i have always felt that Senn really only starts with the HD 600. it's been forever since i've heard one, but i have been a longtime owner of the HD 650 which i love for its own part. i can't excuse the cheapo plastic on the 600/650 though, i have always had to treat them with such care to avoid chipping the paint or cracking the thin plastic. which is all perfectly well and good for a home/desk headphone. but i couldn't imagine purchasing Senn circumaural for on the go use. though evidently some of their newer ones may be better in that regard (and certainly the 800 of course), i have always preferred beyerdynamic for build quality.

May 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #11,518 of 23,482
  I, for one, think that the 5x8 offerings are worthy of Sennheiser's name. And it works as a great marketing tool. Think about it this way: not everyone is inclined to outright buy something like the HD600 right off the bat, it's a little too pricey. Enter the HD5x8 series; they're much more affordable (...)

I'm not familiar with the current prices but when I bought the 598 it was listed for 180€ (I guess it should be about 160 now) and the HD 600 for 280€ (though I've also seen it for 230€ some time ago).
Okay, that's still a price gap of about 100€ but imo the difference is worth it, but even in the HD 598's price range, there are technically better headphones like the AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition (or the Philips Fidelio which I haven't heard yet). The only striking strenght of the 598 is, imo, the good soundstage - it is very spacious in either width and depth (unlike the K701 wich is only capable of width or the Beyerdynamic which has got a rather small soundstage though it is 3-dimensional).
I wouldn't call the 598 bad but not worth the money you pay as there are better 'phones for ~200€. Despite, you get to hear the typical Sennheiser sound with them.

Imo, the HD 600 is the Sennheiser with the best money-to-sound-value. Sure, my HD 800 obviously beats my HD 600, but the sound is not four times better and the HD 600 is the more reasonable headphone.

May 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #11,519 of 23,482
I'm not familiar with the current prices but when I bought the 598 it was listed for 180€ (I guess it should be about 160 now) and the HD 600 for 280€ (though I've also seen it for 230€ some time ago).
Okay, that's still a price gap of about 100€ but imo the difference is worth it, but even in the HD 598's price range, there are technically better headphones like the AKG K701 or Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition (or the Philips Fidelio which I haven't heard yet). The only striking strenght of the 598 is, imo, the good soundstage - it is very spacious in either width and depth (unlike the K701 wich is only capable of width or the Beyerdynamic which has got a rather small soundstage though it is 3-dimensional).
I wouldn't call the 598 bad but not worth the money you pay as there are better 'phones for ~200€. Despite, you get to hear the typical Sennheiser sound with them.

Imo, the HD 600 is the Sennheiser with the best money-to-sound-value. Sure, my HD 800 obviously beats my HD 600, but the sound is not four times better and the HD 600 is the more reasonable headphone.

I own K702 and DT880/600 and couldn't disagree more with your assessment. For example, the Beyers are capable of throwing such an enveloping soundfield (not soundstage, headphones can't produce one) that sometimes I have to take them off to make sure the speakers aren't playing.

May 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #11,520 of 23,482
i can't excuse the cheapo plastic on the 600/650 though, i have always had to treat them with such care to avoid chipping the paint or cracking the thin plastic.(...) though evidently some of their newer ones may be better in that regard (and certainly the 800 of course), i have always preferred beyerdynamic for build quality.

I perceive the HD 800's paint job as less sturdy than the 600's. The only thing that feels more solid on the 800 is the headband and the connectors, imho. Everytime I put them down or touch them/my head whilst listening to music I am afraid of getting a dent in the flimsy mesh by accidently touching it. Audez'e or HiFiMan cans are solidly built but the HD 800 isn't (though its structure was designed as it is for good reasons).
Anyhow, I don't find the HD 600 being cheaply/filigree built except for the headband and the cable (anyhow, I never lay any of my headphones or iems down on a hard surface, no matter if they were 20$ or 2000$).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back