Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #11,476 of 23,486
Wow. Holy ****. I see why these have been made for 20 years already. Right out of the box in many ways they make even my T90 seem stupid by comparison. They are so absolutely and incredibly pleasing, it's unreal. I can't believe I got these for $229. It's like I robbed someone. 

May 12, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,477 of 23,486

Don't worry, he'll come around. Remember how you were in your 20's. These things (good taste) come with age I think. It's similar with food for me, as I am getting older I seem to crave cuisines I would never have even considered in my youth.

Audio appreciation is an evolutionary road. Sometimes it comes earlier, sometimes it comes later. I'm only 21, but maybe @Hijodelbrx's son just needs a few more years to get to appreciating the good stuff.

Wow. Holy ****. I see why these have been made for 20 years already. Right out of the box in many ways they make even my T90 seem stupid by comparison. They are so absolutely and incredibly pleasing, it's unreal. I can't believe I got these for $229. It's like I robbed someone. 

When you've got a product that's been (thriving) on the market virtually unchanged for 2 decades, I'd say you've done something very right. Ah yes, the headphone daylight robbery has resulted in many a happy Head-Fier!
beerchug.gif

May 12, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #11,478 of 23,486

Nah, Sennheiser made their money on this years ago, now it's all gravy.

May 12, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #11,481 of 23,486
Extended impression is that I might send the 600 back. 

If I existed in a void in which I had not already owned the T90 I would be absolutely blown away to have the hd600. 
That's not the case. 

Notably: 
I immediately miss bass. I'm not a basshead by any means but I sure noticed it when it's missing vs. the T90. 
The voices on the T90 are not quite as nice. The timbre/tone of the HD600 is absolutely incredible. The voices are however, louder and more distinct on the T90. I watch a lot of tv and movies at the computer, so this matters.
The HD600 is just so damn pleasing to listen to. I'm going to actually consider this quite a bit tonight, but I tend to be a one headphone kind of person. 
Clarity and detail are wonderful for the slot that the HD600 fits into, but I miss the increases in each from the T90 immediately. 

I know what some of you will say "why would you think a 20 year old headphone could best a near flagship level headphone" and I didn't, but having heard for many years now about how great the HD600 is I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to try it out. I don't live anywhere near stores, or where meets take place that I would be able to hear this headphone other than ordering it. 

And yes, I know "burn in several hundred hours will improve x/y/z" but realistically I don't have that much time with them and the difference would only be minor. 

This makes me think the HD800 is really what I'm looking for and at some point I'm going to have to swallow that massive price tag. I do see why people love the HD600 so much. 

May 13, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #11,482 of 23,486

If I existed in a void in which I had not already owned the T90 I would be absolutely blown away to have the hd600. 
That's not the case. 

Notably: 
I immediately miss bass. I'm not a basshead by any means but I sure noticed it when it's missing vs. the T90. 
The voices on the T90 are not quite as nice. The timbre/tone of the HD600 is absolutely incredible. The voices are however, louder and more distinct on the T90. I watch a lot of tv and movies at the computer, so this matters.
The HD600 is just so damn pleasing to listen to. I'm going to actually consider this quite a bit tonight, but I tend to be a one headphone kind of person. 
Clarity and detail are wonderful for the slot that the HD600 fits into, but I miss the increases in each from the T90 immediately. 

I know what some of you will say "why would you think a 20 year old headphone could best a near flagship level headphone" and I didn't, but having heard for many years now about how great the HD600 is I just couldn't stand it anymore and had to try it out. I don't live anywhere near stores, or where meets take place that I would be able to hear this headphone other than ordering it. 

And yes, I know "burn in several hundred hours will improve x/y/z" but realistically I don't have that much time with them and the difference would only be minor. 

This makes me think the HD800 is really what I'm looking for and at some point I'm going to have to swallow that massive price tag. I do see why people love the HD600 so much. 

What source/DAC/DAP do you use? With a little eq or bass boost HD600s can fill any bass needs...

May 13, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #11,483 of 23,486
Please tell me if I'm wrong guys.

I just saw this post randomly on Instagram someone stating this headphone is the "new HD300" 

Does anyone know which Sennheiser headphone this is?

May 13, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #11,485 of 23,486
  That's obviously the HD 800 on the picture.

The most recent one is the HD 630 VB.

Alright thanks. It must be a custom HD800.

I've also seen Sennheiser talking up some new product which must be the HD630 VB you mention. 

May 13, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #11,487 of 23,486

That's not the case. 

Notably: 

The HD600 is certainly quite a treat to listen to and these days at quite a good price. As for burn-in, nah, I usually don't hear enough of a difference to consider that in my listening/testing sessions anyway. The thing about the HD800 is that I would love to listen to one, but like you, I don't have anywhere close where I can go to listen to a pair so if I wanted to, I'd have to buy a pair. And I just can't justify it. Correct me if I'm wrong (especially those of you that have listened to or own the HD800), but I consider the HD600 to probably have 85% of the performance at 1/6 of the price. That's a pretty damn good return if you ask me.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #11,489 of 23,486
  Please tell me if I'm wrong guys.

I just saw this post randomly on Instagram someone stating this headphone is the "new HD300" 

Does anyone know which Sennheiser headphone this is?

There's a BLACK HD800 listed on Sennheiser's parts site. Is this it? Or is this just odd lighting?

May 13, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #11,490 of 23,486

There's a BLACK HD800 listed on Sennheiser's parts site. Is this it? Or is this just odd lighting?

Looks more like chrome to me and looks exactly like my HD800s except the chromy bit around the outside. My meshy area is black, whilst that one is silvery.The area which attaches to the headband: mine is silver, that one is black. Oh, and this one has a chrome headband, mine is black. But beautiful nontheless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back