Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #6,662 of 23,434
Messaged Brooko and Purple and wish I took their advice and ordered the NFB-12 / NFB-15.

Not feeling anything more from Objective 2 amp + D2x as i am straight from D2X.

Volume 85 % on Asus control panal (same without amp) and Amp has gain pushed in and on the 5th mark on amp.

Please someone tell me where I'm going wrong.

I already know d2x has impedance of 100-ohms, not sure

I am using v moda red cable from front plug (green on xonar d2x) to amp.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #6,663 of 23,434

I completely disagree.  The HD600s scale tremendously well.  In fact, they are legendary for their scaling in all kinds of review and audiophile circles.  I have tried mine on many amps, and I can confirm they scale extremely well.  When driven by Trafomatic Head One, it's basically endgame for me.  On my FiiO E11, it's just the start of the journey. 

Yep, Agreed
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #6,664 of 23,434
Messaged Brooko and Purple and wish I took their advice and ordered the NFB-12 / NFB-15.

Not feeling anything more from Objective 2 amp + D2x as i am straight from D2X.

Volume 85 % on Asus control panal (same without amp) and Amp has gain pushed in and on the 5th mark on amp.

Please someone tell me where I'm going wrong.

I already know d2x has impedance of 100-ohms, not sure

I am using v moda red cable from front plug (green on xonar d2x) to amp.

Are you saying you cannot get any more volume with the D2+O2 than you can with the D2X alone? Or are you saying that you cannot tell the difference between them with regard to sound quality?

I would be very surprised if its the former, and not at all surprised by the latter.

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #6,665 of 23,434
Are you saying you cannot get any more volume with the D2+O2 than you can with the D2X alone? Or are you saying that you cannot tell the difference between them with regard to sound quality?

I would be very surprised if its the former, and not at all surprised by the latter.

Mate it sounds a little better but i was expecting my 600s to sing, think i will purchase another amp. bah ;/

Feb 22, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #6,666 of 23,434
  Boring...anyone with a brain knows the HD600s are the must have, best headphones ever.
I want talk about things we'll never agree about!
If you refuse to talk about cables we will resort to isolation...spikes vs sorbothane...your choice..cheers!

I just bought stick on rubber feet from Amazon, good for isolation.

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #6,667 of 23,434
In a couple of weeks I hope to audition three amps around the £500 mark.
According to you guys I won't hear any difference?

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #6,669 of 23,434
In a couple of weeks I hope to audition three amps around the £500 mark.
According to you guys I won't hear any difference?

When I had the HD600s, it depended on the music to some degree. I used to test with Jeff Buckley singing "The Way Young Lovers Do" off the Grace EPs. It is a live performance and I felt that my perception of the space varied depending on the amp used. To give the most extreme example, directly out of an iPod the entire song sounded like it was coming more from the center, whereas using a good, dedicated amp and DAC the entire performance had a wide stereo image. Similarly, I felt with a good amp that fast-paced music was more enjoyable.

I've been long tempted to buy a pair again, but sadly I missed the big sales in Japan where they were going for <$150. They are no longer being sold here as far as I know.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #6,670 of 23,434
It depends on the amp. Some people think that it scales extremely well, while others think that it doesn't. The bottom line is, trust your ears. 

I am actually a bit worried about "trusting my ears". There seems to be so much subliminal stuff going on when listening.
I reckon it could be easy to be seduced by a "warm" sound only to decide later that it was "veiled" or a "detailed" sound could become "sterile"!

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6,671 of 23,434
I am actually a bit worried about "trusting my ears". There seems to be so much subliminal stuff going on when listening.
I reckon it could be easy to be seduced by a "warm" sound only to decide later that it was "veiled" or a "detailed" sound could become "sterile"!

True ! .. There's In my opinion only one way to know how you really appreciate you amp/dac : Much Listening time.  that's why many of us buy amps/dacs and sell them a few weeks or monthes later.  I really think spending one Hour with headphones allow to have a good ( but not detailed) opinion . For Dac/amps it needs much more time.  

So , for a first amp or dac the safer way to go is to avoid all hype trains and choose gear that has been well appreciated  by experienced Head-fiers for a long time. that's a good starting point. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #6,672 of 23,434
I'm a long time audio taper and we've had many discussion on taper forums about the merits of cable upgrades.  I'm a new member here on head-fi and a new owner of a pair of HD600s.  While there's never been a debate that cable upgrades for higher quality and better reliability can be cost justified, the taper community has had a harder time providing non-subjective data to show that the benefits are real from a sound perspective.  I've done the due diligence searching the head-fi forums for more than 'my new cable sounds awesome', but haven't been successful.  Can anyone point me to any objective testing that has been done on this subject?  Thanks.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #6,673 of 23,434
I'm a long time audio taper and we've had many discussion on taper forums about the merits of cable upgrades.  I'm a new member here on head-fi and a new owner of a pair of HD600s.  While there's never been a debate that cable upgrades for higher quality and better reliability can be cost justified, the taper community has had a harder time providing non-subjective data to show that the benefits are real from a sound perspective.  I've done the due diligence searching the head-fi forums for more than 'my new cable sounds awesome', but haven't been successful.  Can anyone point me to any objective testing that has been done on this subject?  Thanks.

Nothing gets this forum up to boiling point like cables! It's been done to death. Try the Sound Science forum.
Oh and welcome. Just don't mention cables. Oh. You did!:wink:

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #6,674 of 23,434
  While there's never been a debate that cable upgrades for higher quality and better reliability can be cost justified,
I've done the due diligence searching the head-fi forums for more than 'my new cable sounds awesome', but haven't been successful. 
Can anyone point me to any objective testing that has been done on this subject?  Thanks.

If you had actually "done the due diligence" you would know that:
1) There is plenty of debate that cables make any difference at all, and
20 There are NO objective tests that prove cables can make a difference.

Now please go away and do some proper diligence!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back