Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #10,997 of 23,471
Hello everybody, I just received a new HD 600 yesterday and I think it sounds quite 'bright' (harsh highs and recessed bass). I'm driving them with a Schiit Magni amp from my PC and have tested it with several reference tracks. I'm currently burning them in with (LFO-modulates sweeps) of pink noise at a medium-loud volume level in hopes to flatten out the frequency response somewhat from more burning in.

What would you guys recommend in order to tame down my HD 600 a bit and add more bass? Perhaps a different source chain or more burn-in, etc.? Thanks!

A decent tube amp might help. 

Nothing against the Magni, it's an awesome ampifier, just saying that a tube amp might warm things up for you if burning them in doesn't work.

Although I know burn in is debatable, I felt the same way with my HD 600 when I first got them, but after about 100 hours they are hands down my favorite cans I've ever owned. I feel like the bass has opened up more and treble has settled since getting them. Then again, I also changed the tube on my amp as well.

Hope this helps

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #10,998 of 23,471
Also, I didn't receive a warranty card in the original packaging either and couldn't find a place to register the product on Senn. website; any suggestion on doing that? Thank you in advance

No card comes with it. I'm day 2 with mine sound great not harsh at all.

https://service.sennheiserusa.com/register_product

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #11,000 of 23,471
Thanks guys. I was considering getting a Schiit Vali amp + Modi 2 DAC. I think the Vali is not a "100% tube" amp but a hybrid tube amp, and it's within my low budget. Would this help much?

I never heard it so I can't say for certain, but usually the point of a tube amp is to make things a touch warmer and more expansive, at least that's my impression from using them.

I'm sure you could ask customer support at Schiit and they would help you answer that as well.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #11,001 of 23,471
Thanks guys. I was considering getting a Schiit Vali amp + Modi 2 DAC. I think the Vali is not a "100% tube" amp but a hybrid tube amp, and it's within my low budget. Would this help much?

IMO the tube amp taming brightness thing is a myth. All of these amps have a flat FR so nothing drastic is going to happen. You might not be used to the sound signature of the HD600, which is actually quite neutral. Either you are used to a colder sound or perhaps you have some EQ or tone controls at the source that are set to boost treble or cut bass, Or perhaps you might be happier with an HD650. I would check out your source and listen for a couple of days for human burn in and then think it over some.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #11,002 of 23,471
Hello everybody, I just received a new HD 600 yesterday and I think it sounds quite 'bright' (harsh highs and recessed bass). I'm driving them with a Schiit Magni amp from my PC and have tested it with several reference tracks. I'm currently burning them in with (LFO-modulates sweeps) of pink noise at a medium-loud volume level in hopes to flatten out the frequency response somewhat from more burning in.

What would you guys recommend in order to tame down my HD 600 a bit and add more bass? Perhaps a different source chain or more burn-in, etc.? Thanks!
Hi,first of all the HD600 dont need burn in just maybe need to accommodate with their sound,second you need a good chain(dac-amp-headphone) and compatible to really listen to 100 percent the headphones so you really want a good dac,third tubes amplifiers are v.good with Sennheiser and here sweet spost are Little Dot MK3 ,DarkVoice 336(wich are now on Massdrop,v.good price) ,hope i helped!

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #11,003 of 23,471
I don't have experience of valve amps so cannot comment but everything else StanD says makes good sense so I would trust him on that as well. I don't think there is much future in trying to change the basic sound sig of a headphone by using a coloured amp. EQ is definitely worth a try but maybe you just don't like the 600's?

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #11,004 of 23,471

The Magni is a great amp, but it is a little bright sounding. Also, the HD600 don't smooth the frequencies like the 650 does. They will sound bright if the source is. Running the sound directly from your pc won't be helping matters either (no offence), the distortions will also adding to the harshness.

The brightness will mellow over time as the pads mould to your head. But I personally wouldn't recommend the Magni if you don't want a brightly lit treble.

My recommendation would be for the M stage (opa627 replacement bias mod) for a smoother sound. I would also look into getting yourself a Dac. Even the cheapest external dac will increase the resolution and remove all the unwanted micro noise from your pc. The M stage does a model with a built in Dac, now I haven't heard this but I have read good reports. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #11,005 of 23,471
Hi,first of all the HD600 dont need burn in just maybe need to accommodate with their sound,second you need a good chain(dac-amp-headphone) and compatible to really listen to 100 percent the headphones so you really want a good dac,third tubes amplifiers are v.good with Sennheiser and here sweet spost are Little Dot MK3 ,DarkVoice 336(wich are now on Massdrop,v.good price) ,hope i helped!

Hello Bobby, I really appreciate your comment! Now I am seriously considering one of those tube amps; maybe leaning towards the MK3 or maybe an even newer MK4 I noticed had come out. But if you don't mind, would please tell me: How did you become aware of these amps working well on the HD 600? (tried it, owned it, read about it, or where did you read about that)? And which of these 2 would you recommend; or which sonic qualities do each of these have versus the other one? Thanks much again

PS- if anybody knows a good and affordable DAC that works well with the HD 600 and a tube amp, that would be cool to know also!

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #11,006 of 23,471
  The Magni is a great amp, but it is a little bright sounding. Also, the HD600 don't smooth the frequencies like the 650 does. They will sound bright if the source is. Running the sound directly from your pc won't be helping matters either (no offence), the distortions will also adding to the harshness.

The brightness will mellow over time as the pads mould to your head. But I personally wouldn't recommend the Magni if you don't want a brightly lit treble.

My recommendation would be for the M stage (opa627 replacement bias mod) for a smoother sound. I would also look into getting yourself a Dac. Even the cheapest external dac will increase the resolution and remove all the unwanted micro noise from your pc. The M stage does a model with a built in Dac, now I haven't heard this but I have read good reports. 

Hello again guys, I like a sound signature with a fairly flat FR, detailed treble yet not harshly analytical, punchy/dynamic and somewhat warm. After trying several amps at CanJam last week, I noticed I may prefer the sound of tube amps or maybe even solid state/tube hybrids which I loved every time. So based on this would you really recommend that I get one of your suggestions like the M Stage or the Little Dot amp instead of Vali (which is a tube/hybrid amp)? Maybe it's just that the ones you're recommending are more powerful than the Vali so they should perform better?

I looked for the opa627 mod for the M stage amp but it's not available anywhere. Or maybe the M stage amp as is would suit my needs? Maybe I should look into modding the HD 600 if burning in doesn't help, because while I would like an amp that may smooth out the treble for my HD 600's, but maybe by just a touch because I would also want it to sound neutral for other headphones too.

Also PS- I'm currently running my Magni amp through the amplified sound-card for now (yes I know it's daisy-chaining amp-to-amp but IMO it's better than my Modi DAC which I have shelved).

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #11,007 of 23,471
Don't touch the HD600. It's a classis just as it is....
wink_face.gif

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #11,008 of 23,471

Hello Bobby, I really appreciate your comment! Now I am seriously considering one of those tube amps; maybe leaning towards the MK3 or maybe an even newer MK4 I noticed had come out. But if you don't mind, would please tell me: How did you become aware of these amps working well on the HD 600? (tried it, owned it, read about it, or where did you read about that)? And which of these 2 would you recommend; or which sonic qualities do each of these have versus the other one? Thanks much again

PS- if anybody knows a good and affordable DAC that works well with the HD 600 and a tube amp, that would be cool to know also!

When I first heard my HD600 I also was not impressed by the bass. But in 50-60 hours of listening I got used to the sound signature, and I started to love it. I realized, the bass is there in its complete deepness, and it is much more detailed then I ever heard before. (I was just coming from a punchier IEM, and I was not used to this opened bass.)
I use a Schiit Vali which is a really good pairing with the HD600 imho.
My source is a Fiio X3, whis has physical bass and treble eq. (Also sowftware eq, but I dont use that as it completely destroys the sound.)
But the physical bass and treble eq is a treasure . Many tracks benefit from it. :) Without this little bass eq-ing it still feels a bit bass weak to me as well. (Not all genres and tracks though, but quite a lot...)  But with this little help it just sounds heavenly. :) Can not get bored of it after 2 years...
Hope, this helped some...

(I also tried HD600 with full size amps. And they can deliver huge amount of bass. Even too much bass. HD600 gives you back exactly what you feed it with. Try to eq it somehow to add a little more bass, and see what happens.)

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #11,009 of 23,471
Im also using Fiio X3 with E12 amp. Pure joy. I was looking at the mod thread last night but really can't see doing anything at this point. If they get any better with burnin I'm in big trouble. I can't take them off as it is . I had to use my on ear Momentums for a while late last night in bed as not to disturb my girlfriend. They sounded good but the 600s a whole different world. They even sound fantastic with my Sandisk Clip Zip Rockeboxed with FiioE6 amp. That little setup still amazes me.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #11,010 of 23,471
I've compared the Magni with other amps, tube and SS using an A/B switch with the HD600's (and other headphones) and the Magni is not bright. Relying on human memory for sound comparisons without a switch is not going to work as our memory for such lasts about 4 seconds. Getting an A/B switch and using it properly (matching volumes) is an eye opening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back