Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #14,986 of 23,472

Quote:
I found the Valhalla2 to be a little to lean w/ paired with the 600. The little dot mk.iii was warmer and had that classic tube sound. But the mk.iii wasn't the most resolving amp. I'm currently using a Glenn otl with the 600,650 & 800's. Depends on ones budget though. These phones really shine with big otl amps such as the Zana Deux, stratus, and Glenn otls. I'd suggest auditioning gear if possible. 

Unfortunately enough, where I live, I can't audition much, especially when it comes to source gear and amps. That's why I am trying to get as many opinions as possible here. There are also not all that many options that don't require importing. Also I am a bit worried about getting the tubes for tube rolling. 
That is pretty much why I am deciding between getting Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2. Anyway thanks for the input. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #14,987 of 23,472
Unfortunately enough, where I live, I can't audition much, especially when it comes to source gear and amps. That's why I am trying to get as many opinions as possible here. There are also not all that many options that don't require importing. Also I am a bit worried about getting the tubes for tube rolling. 
That is pretty much why I am deciding between getting Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2. Anyway thanks for the input. 
Definitely vahalla2

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #14,989 of 23,472
Yay!

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #14,991 of 23,472
If your price point is where the Vahalla 2 is, I think you would be remiss if you didn't also consider the Garage 1217 Project Polaris.  It is a solid state amp with a tube sounding FET front end.  And also features tremendous configuration flexibility.  I moved to it from my Vali 1 after considering quite a few options.  I could not be more pleased! 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/725896/new-from-garage1217-the-solid-state-project-polaris/1410#post_12615826

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #14,992 of 23,472

Maybe the feliks audio espressivo or if you can afford to pay more the elise. I tried to find an european company for you.
http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

edit: there is also laconic night blues a russian made tube amp.
http://laconiclab.ru/laconic_night_blues_mini.html

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #14,994 of 23,472

Wow, that actually looks really impressive and for a fairly reasonable price. The Elise is a little too much, but I will seriously look into espressivo. Thanks! 

also i just edited in the previous post also the laconic labs night blue russian built.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #14,995 of 23,472
  also i just edited in the previous post also the laconic labs night blue russian built.

Wow, they both have some seriously good reviews, and would be much cheaper than the Valhalla 2, but as I read the Valhalla 2 thread, I got really convinced that this is a really good pairing for HD600s and 650s.
Anyway thanks again, I will definitely do some more research on the Felix Audio Espressivo before pulling the trigger or Valhalla 2.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #14,996 of 23,472

Wow, they both have some seriously good reviews, and would be much cheaper than the Valhalla 2, but as I read the Valhalla 2 thread, I got really convinced that this is a really good pairing for HD600s and 650s.
Anyway thanks again, I will definitely do some more research on the Felix Audio Espressivo before pulling the trigger or Valhalla 2.

Oh, if you are in Europe, Felix Audio should be your first choice I bet.​

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #14,997 of 23,472
   Oh, if you are in Europe, Felix Audio should be your first choice I bet.

Getting seriously away from the HD600 topic here, but Elise and Espressivo look really tempting, but I don't know if the extra 60% is worth for Elise, and I am not sure with the Espressivo. Anyway maybe if I get into tubes, this will be another option down the road. Thanks again to you and others for the recommendations. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #15,000 of 23,472
A properly designed/powered amp and good DAC will "resolve" just fine.
Solid state or last century`s technology....

:angry_face:

Yes, they would resolve "just fine", but plenty of people would appreciate better than that standard. And tubes vs transistors is not a simple, clear, binary choice. They each have pros and cons. They both came about in the 20th century, and continue to evolve in designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back