Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #14,971 of 23,417

LOL   #mansplaining !    Boy am I glad I've already finished my morning coffee or I might be looking for a new keyboard!  
biggrin.gif

desktop > foobar2000 w/_gl convolver impulse curves > Modi 2 > Polaris >\  HD580 w/HD600 grills, earpad foam liner removed, HM5 velour earpads w/nylon liner & NewFantasia cables
                                                                                              > Vali 1  >/  HD600 w/CustomCansUK ultra low capacitance braided litz wire cables

Indeed... until you see the term in action, the harmless things it's usually applied to, and how seriously women take it. Then, a part of you dies.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #14,972 of 23,417

LOL   #mansplaining !    Boy am I glad I've already finished my morning coffee or I might be looking for a new keyboard!  
biggrin.gif

desktop > foobar2000 w/_gl convolver impulse curves > Modi 2 > Polaris >\  HD580 w/HD600 grills, earpad foam liner removed, HM5 velour earpads w/nylon liner & NewFantasia cables
                                                                                              > Vali 1  >/  HD600 w/CustomCansUK ultra low capacitance braided litz wire cables

Indeed... until you see the term in action, the harmless things it's usually applied to, and how seriously women take it. Then, a part of you dies.

Apparently that "generation" or "congregation" of "wimmin" I can assuredly do without which is probably a given within my age group. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #14,973 of 23,417

Apparently that "generation" or "congregation" of "wimmin" I can assuredly do without which is probably a given within my age group. 
biggrin.gif

So you could have seen Zeppelin live AND you don't have to deal with stuff like this? uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there's some hard envy

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #14,974 of 23,417

And as an aside, I don't do "social media" (facebook, twitter, linkedin, pinterest, instagram, reddit, tumblr, google+, et cetera ad nauseum). 
wink.gif

+1 Ditto!

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #14,975 of 23,417

biggrin.gif

So you could have seen Zeppelin live AND you don't have to deal with stuff like this? uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh there's some hard envy

Well heck, Woodstock was 4 years after I graduated high school in upstate NY!*  And yeah I attended my share of concerts both stateside and in the London area back in the day.  Many were formative acts that hadn't yet reached international fame.  Great stuff!

An example of what I was able to see/hear:  Alexis Korner 7/18/72 in London's Battersea Park's open outdoor pavillian.  Maybe 200 of us in attendance.  Folks who jammed with him that day included two members of the Rolling Stones, etc.  Look up ol' Korner and see the list of greats who played with him over the years :)  (Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_Korner).  I still have the handbill from that event.  Lots of memorabilia here but unfortunately the underground clubs didn't issue any.

* decided to throw caution to the wind and add this anecdote:  I ended up with two very attractive sisters with whom I celebrated my birthday on the shores of Lake Ontario instead of heading to Woodstock that week.  To this day I still believe I made the "right" choice.  Whoooeeeeee! Talk about memorable!  And at my age now it's GREAT to have such memories!  hahahahahahahahahaha

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #14,976 of 23,417
Hi my fellow HD600 lovers,
I hope this is not a bad thread to ask, but I have one question about amplification. I currently run my HD600s with fiio E10 as a DAC and E09K as an amp. My biggest gripe with them, is that I don't think that they are detailed enough. Would upgrading my amp help with that ? If so, would something like magni 2 uber or Asgard 2 be good enough or should I look elsewhere? If so, where ?  

This question is more like "what amps do you especially like with HD600s" and "How to get the best out of them" 

Thanks

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #14,977 of 23,417
  Hi my fellow HD600 lovers,
I hope this is not a bad thread to ask, but I have one question about amplification. I currently run my HD600s with fiio E10 as a DAC and E09K as an amp. My biggest gripe with them, is that I don't think that they are detailed enough. Would upgrading my amp help with that ? If so, would something like magni 2 uber or Asgard 2 be good enough or should I look elsewhere? If so, where ?  

This question is more like "what amps do you especially like with HD600s" and "How to get the best out of them" 

Thanks

The Valhalla 2 is very detailed and goes well with the HD600 (or HD650). Better than the Asgard 2, IMO.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #14,979 of 23,417
I know the Valhalla is a nice amp, however I have seen and read that it doesn't really have much of a "tube" sound. Is this true?

With the stock tubes, that is true. With some vintage tubes like Amperex the sound is warmer and more euphonic.

The Vali 2 is also a good amp for HD600/HD650 and sounds better than the Asgard 2, but is not as detailed as the Valhalla 2.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #14,980 of 23,417
x2 to RickB. I was a little disappointed in the The Valhalla when I first fired it up. A little tube rolling with some NOS Russian tubes and Amperex really brought out its tube nature. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #14,982 of 23,417
  tube amps are usually more detailed than solid state amps ?

It really depends on what you pay for them though. A high end tube amp would definitely be more resolving than, let's say, a cheap solid state. 

Honestly speaking, that's a very controversial question, like the tube vs solid state debate. So if I were you I wouldn't ask "which type of amp (tube vs ss) is better?" but rather "which amp is better?"

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #14,983 of 23,417
I found the Valhalla2 to be a little to lean w/ paired with the 600. The little dot mk.iii was warmer and had that classic tube sound. But the mk.iii wasn't the most resolving amp. I'm currently using a Glenn otl with the 600,650 & 800's. Depends on ones budget though. These phones really shine with big otl amps such as the Zana Deux, stratus, and Glenn otls. I'd suggest auditioning gear if possible.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #14,984 of 23,417
  It really depends on what you pay for them though. A high end tube amp would definitely be more resolving than, let's say, a cheap solid state. 

Honestly speaking, that's a very controversial question, like the tube vs solid state debate. So if I were you I wouldn't ask "which type of amp (tube vs ss) is better?" but rather "which amp is better?"

Tubes tend to add distortion, maybe some of those amps are more euphonic in the end. They are not cleaner or more resolving. They might bring out the details more because of that tube-compression, but for some reason they are not used by the people who make the records. Their amps are very much SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back