Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #15,001 of 23,457
Solid state or last century`s technology....

The newer thing is always the better thing, and the older thing is worthless.

That is a child's mentality, and one steeped in ignorance.

Denouncing tubes for "colouring the sound" is just as thoughtlessly pedantic.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #15,002 of 23,457

. I couldn't agree more! This debate has been going on for quite some time. It all boils down to what sounds good to the individual as music is so subjective. I personally enjoy the Valhalla 2 with my HD600's and I am still using the stock tubes that it came with. If possible see if there is a store near you that will allow you to audition. There is no right or wrong here. The right choice is the one that puts a smile on your face and keeps you wishing you had more free time to listen.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #15,003 of 23,457

Doubtful indeed.

A properly designed/powered amp and good DAC will "resolve" just fine.
Solid state or last century`s technology....

angry_face.gif

PinkyPowers, while I completely agree with newer is not always better. And that a quality tube amp will "resolve" as well as a quality SS amp.

I do not see a need to call names and insult someone who disagrees.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #15,004 of 23,457
C'mon guys, let's not fight.

Honestly speaking though, if something is more well built (using better components) and more expensive (maybe) than it's cheaper counterparts, there's a high chance that it will be "better". If you get a good tube amp, it will absolutely destroy a crappy solid state, and as vice versa, a good solid state will absolutely crush a crappy tube amp.

...but hey, audio is very subjective and nobody can say for sure. Just get what fits your budget and what gives you the sound you want.

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #15,005 of 23,457
Since this question of SS or tube comes up for the HD-600 and many other headphones perhaps it might be better if this question comes up again to just direct the person asking to one of the threads that is specific to the topic like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/8846/preferences-tubes-vs-solid-state rather than have it played out here.

or: http://www.head-fi.org/t/599128/tube-vs-solid-state, or: http://www.head-fi.org/t/311379/solid-state-vs-tubes
or: http://www.head-fi.org/t/481847/solid-state-vs-tubes-which-one-s-and-why-plus-more

There are a few more threads that have this discussion if one wants to look.

Just my $0.02

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #15,006 of 23,457

Getting seriously away from the HD600 topic here, but Elise and Espressivo look really tempting, but I don't know if the extra 60% is worth for Elise, and I am not sure with the Espressivo. Anyway maybe if I get into tubes, this will be another option down the road. Thanks again to you and others for the recommendations.  

As far as I know, Elise is amazing for its price. You can read those threads for Elise. They are super hyped.
If you decided to try it, I would suggest not buying any tube from Felix and do a thorough research from Elise thread and get the corresponding tubes for your taste to save money from tube rolling.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #15,008 of 23,457

"Denouncing tubes for "colouring the sound" is just as thoughtlessly pedantic."
I didn`t say that but that`s fine. 

smile.gif

My point is many people prefer solid state for consistency, reliability and clean power.

And those who buy the premise that " A high end tube amp would definitely be more resolving than, let's say, a cheap solid state. " 
are being misled.

There are many factors regarding why someone may prefer one amp to another. but clean, adequate power and a great source/DAC and recording will "resolve" just fine. And regarding cost well, you believe what you wish.....

Incidentally, one of the charms IMO of the hd600 is it`s slightly warm signature.My experience is it pairs quite well with a good ss amp.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #15,009 of 23,457
  C'mon guys, let's not fight.

Honestly speaking though, if something is more well built (using better components) and more expensive (maybe) than it's cheaper counterparts, there's a high chance that it will be "better". If you get a good tube amp, it will absolutely destroy a crappy solid state, and as vice versa, a good solid state will absolutely crush a crappy tube amp.

...but hey, audio is very subjective and nobody can say for sure. Just get what fits your budget and what gives you the sound you want.

Good points! But you left out the design factor.
All the great parts crudely integrated can be awful.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #15,010 of 23,457

Incidentally, one of the charms IMO of the hd600 is it`s slightly warm signature.My experience is it pairs quite well with a good ss amp.

All I'll say is that I'm very happy with my HD600 running from an SMSL sApII Pro connected to a Topping D20 DAC. To my ears, it's been cheap and effective in delivering my daily dose of audio bliss
o2smile.gif

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #15,011 of 23,457

"Denouncing tubes for "colouring the sound" is just as thoughtlessly pedantic."
I didn`t say that but that`s fine. 

smile.gif

My point is many people prefer solid state for consistency, reliability and clean power.

And those who buy the premise that " A high end tube amp would definitely be more resolving than, let's say, a cheap solid state. " 
are being misled.

There are many factors regarding why someone may prefer one amp to another. but clean, adequate power and a great source/DAC and recording will "resolve" just fine. And regarding cost well, you believe what you wish.....

As I posted above the tubes vs SS should be moved to a separate thread since this is always escalates to a word war.

I don't consider the HD-600 a "slightly warm signature" and I've never experienced it to pair well with most SS amps that are reasonable (under $1000), only two SS amps that I would take over my BH Crack are a Liquid Gold and Master 9, these two amps make the HD-600 really shine, but its still a little behind the EC Balancing Act or Liquid Glass IMO.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #15,012 of 23,457
  Would a 'balanced' amp benefit the HD600? Or not much? What would be the benefit, that's what I actually need to know.

I personally don't think there's a lot of difference if the amp was designed around the type of output your using.  Quality of the amp output and its signature being to your liking is more important.  Some do it with single ended, some with balanced.  Just my opinion.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #15,013 of 23,457
  I personally don't think there's a lot of difference if the amp was designed around the type of output your using.  Quality of the amp output and its signature being to your liking is more important.  Some do it with single ended, some with balanced.  Just my opinion.

I don't even know what "balanced" is! I just know it is beneficial in long cables to shut out any potential noise interference, but I don't know how it's implemented or if it has 2 outputs or just one. I only have a phone at the moment, i'm waiting for the iBasso DX200 DAP to be released, which will have sufficient power to run the HD600, unlike most other DAPs these days.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #15,014 of 23,457
I don't even know what "balanced" is! I just know it is beneficial in long cables to shut out any potential noise interference,

Balanced headphone amps are a different beast than the more traditional concepts. They've only been around for maybe 15 years.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #15,015 of 23,457
I don't even know what "balanced" is! I just know it is beneficial in long cables to shut out any potential noise interference, but I don't know how it's implemented or if it has 2 outputs or just one. I only have a phone at the moment, i'm waiting for the iBasso DX200 DAP to be released, which will have sufficient power to run the HD600, unlike most other DAPs these days.

I may be wrong but I think balanced came from pro audio where runs of meters of speaker cable are common. In the context of headphones this would of course be irrelevant. People may now mean something else by "balanced" though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back