Sennheiser 650 - Dissapointed With Bass
Jun 10, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

OverElysium

New Head-Fier
Been awhile since I've been here on the forums.

Haven't been able to purchase anymore equipment lately, I currently have HD650s with custom cables (forgot manufac). My Headroom Desktop Amp won't turn on, I think its a fuse problem...

Anyway my problem is, the HD650s just dont pack enough bass for me, my budget isn't very good but what would ya'll recommend me, I need a new set of cans...

Need more bass, but hopefully not a set that sacrifices highs and mids for the sake of bass...

Thanks for any feedback!

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 57
Wow, someone else who thinks that the 650s aren't particularly bassy, contrary to public opinion. Join the club!

Not to say I don't like 'em, (I love my 650s) but even my Grado 325is are bassier. In the Grados' case, the bass is a bit more rolled-off (not as much extension), but it's punchy and immediate.

I'd suggest Denons, but as I'm loathe to recommend cans I haven't heard, you'd have to hear from those who are familiar with those cans.

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need a VERY expensive after-market cable and a VERY expensive amp...or so I heard anyway.

op should ask olblueyez about that.
wink_face.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 57
The HD650 lacking bass punch? Damn, I really need to get my hand on a pair of bassy headphones some day just to hear what that's like
smily_headphones1.gif
, because my HD650 packs a mean and extremely weighty punch compared to any other headphones I've owned (which was admittedly only pretty cheap stuff until around a year ago).

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 57
The 650s weren't made for bassheads. It sounds like you'd be happier with a headphone with that emphasis. Since there are about 500 or so threads that offer good suggestions for you, I'm going to say to do a simple search.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 57
The HD 650 are designed to be neutral headphones - the bass *is* there, but it's not over emphasised.

But remember vthat headphones direct sound to your ears, with loudspeakers you are sitting inside the soundfield and *feel* the bass through your body as well as with your ears.

But it sound like you want boosted OTT bass - in which case I think you will be happier with headphones that have extra bass rather than natural bass.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 650 are designed to be neutral headphones - the bass *is* there, but it's not over emphasised.

But remember vthat headphones direct sound to your ears, with loudspeakers you are sitting inside the soundfield and *feel* the bass through your body as well as with your ears.

But it sound like you want boosted OTT bass - in which case I think you will be happier with headphones that have extra bass rather than natural bass.

Yup.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
op should ask olblueyez about that.
wink_face.gif

x2, The one stop solution for optimizing the HD650 experience! He knows these cans well.

Jun 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, The one stop solution for optimizing the HD650 experience! He knows these cans well.

Yup - olblueyez certainly seems to have got the very best out of the HD 650.

Personally I am using mine with stock cable through a Grace m902b - and since I have heard the HD 800 I have not put them on at all.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back