Senn HD650 or HD600?
Jul 8, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #46 of 64
To the OP, If you want your music to sound like music, then get the HD600. Excellent timbre, neutral and not boring are qualities that are hard to find in any price range. More expensive doesn't mean better with most things in life, but people like to believe it does though.....

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #47 of 64
Hi,

The Violectric amps can drive mostly anything so they are always a great option. The cheapest one they make is the V90 and although it's a small amp, it can sure muster up the power to drive the HD600 and DT700 perfectly fine. If you are willing to spend more then maybe the V200 is the better option and it can drive orthodynamic headphones better than the other Violectric amps. One thing to keep in mind is that the V200 is very warm sounding, so if you want a more neutral amp you can try the V90.

The WA3 tube amp is another great option and is $500. It's also very powerful but caters to more high impedance headphones. Low impedance headphones are out of the question. It has warmish tone but the overall signature is neutral. It's going to drive the HD600 and DT770 better than the V90 but I would say it will be weaker than the V200 for those. From experience the V200 drives the DT880 and DT990 better than my old WA3. You cna also roll the tubes to change the sound to your liking.

Quote:

Thanks! So if you were in my position, with the 600s and 770s and looking for a proper amp under $1k... what would you go with? One of the Violectrics or is there something else you would prefer? Possibly a tube amp?

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #48 of 64
Since i had the very same question from the op (now i think i would go with the 600 based on what i've read) i would gently want to ask you zombie as well instead creating a new thread:

I've read your beyer's guide and when you compare the dt990's and the hd600 would you say the same things you said if the 990 were a 250ohm pro version? Or the hd600 would be one level above one of those?

I also have my doubts regarding the wa3 you've mentioned, would they still a good amp for an another-level headphone like the tesla's? (I intend to purchase one after i recover from the amplifier effect on my wallet)

Thanks for the various thoughts on this thread and sorry if my speech became too prolix or difficult to understand. English is not my native language and i never have been a talkative guy on international forums

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #49 of 64
HD650 is rather weak  in the sub bass region, and the HD600 is just poorer. I wouldn't in my right mind go the HD600.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:
I also have my doubts regarding the wa3 you've mentioned, would they still a good amp for an another-level headphone like the tesla's?

What do you mean? I certainly hope you don't think that the Teslas are another level of headphone simply because they cost more. Because ... well .... that would be ridiculous. :D

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #51 of 64
Hi,

The DT990 250Ohm and Pro 250Ohm are one in the same but since the PRO has a stronger clamp you get stronger bass. I think between the two that the HD600 has more mid-bass but lacks the deep bass that the DT990 PRO have. I ahve always considered the DT990 to be a superior headphone to the HD600 but to each his own.

The WA3 is plenty powerful to drive the T1 with no issues. The T1 is not all that hard to amp. I would say it's about the same as the HD600 in terms of amping. I've used the WA3 exclusively with the T1 for a long while and I can assure you it will drive them perfectly fine.

If you have any others questions I am usually on everyday. You can also PM me if needed. 

Quote:
Since i had the very same question from the op (now i think i would go with the 600 based on what i've read) i would gently want to ask you zombie as well instead creating a new thread:

I've read your beyer's guide and when you compare the dt990's and the hd600 would you say the same things you said if the 990 were a 250ohm pro version? Or the hd600 would be one level above one of those?

I also have my doubts regarding the wa3 you've mentioned, would they still a good amp for an another-level headphone like the tesla's? (I intend to purchase one after i recover from the amplifier effect on my wallet)

Thanks for the various thoughts on this thread and sorry if my speech became too prolix or difficult to understand. English is not my native language and i never have been a talkative guy on international forums

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

What do you mean? I certainly hope you don't think that the Teslas are another level of headphone simply because they cost more. Because ... well .... that would be ridiculous. :D

I said that not solely based on the price but based on the experience itself. I've never seen someone (of course they exist)  start in the hi-fi world buying a tesla, hd800 or their competitors. Even if you can afford, it's interesting to train your ears through different kinds of headphones and what they deliver before just jump in a stax for instance, just because you have money and you want the ultimate headphone.

@Zombie, thanks for the answers

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #53 of 64
Sold my HD600 because I like the lushness of the HD650 more than the neutral,lean HD600.
The 650's have more authority...like a big brother,what they are!
But since I got the LCD2's, I have discovered a whole new level of "authority"!

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #55 of 64
I found both positively boring. The HD 700 was miles better in my opinion. I even prefered the HD 598 to the 600/650s. I'm assuming th HD 800s are even better than the 700s but anyhow... Perhaps you are like me in that you don't like such a neutral sound, and need some bass impact and soundstage, in that case try the 598s then save for the 700s.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #56 of 64
Quote:
I found both positively boring. The HD 700 was miles better in my opinion. I even prefered the HD 598 to the 600/650s. I'm assuming th HD 800s are even better than the 700s but anyhow... Perhaps you are like me in that you don't like such a neutral sound, and need some bass impact and soundstage, in that case try the 598s then save for the 700s.

One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say. To me, the 650's are warm and mellow, and very easy to listen to, especially for long periods of time. And the better the amp gets, the better they get. Personally, I wouldn't call the 650's neutral, to me they are definitely colored. But, it definitely depends on what is driving them.

Aug 29, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #57 of 64
Quote:

Yep, after hearing the HD700 then go back to HD600/650, it's a huge difference.

IMO:  HD700 >> HD600/650 > HD598, though HD598 is my favorite cans in its price range.  

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #58 of 64
Yes, the HD700 has a good sound stage, but for the price, I don't think they're really worth it.  Back to the topic of HD650 and Hd600. I tried both headphones , and I kind of leaning towards the HD600, I am quite confuse after hearing reviews of the HD650 but it sounds harsh to my ears, the upper mids and highs feel rough to me while I can't really hear the sound stage different. Perhaps because I was running them with cheap FiiO E12 Amp. But it should be enough.    I am really in the market for open-backed headphone that has very huge sound stage(for movie) and good bass impact. If somebody can help me to suggest different gears to try. Music that I listen to is just about anything, but mostly are Classical, Jazz, Rock(Coldplay, Linkin Park), Instrumental). such example of headphones that I like is Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1R, HD449 Sennheiser.   Someone please help me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back