Sell almost all my gear for an Audeze LCD-2?
May 7, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #16 of 41
I own a LCD-2 and moded-WA22. The LCD-2 sounds wonderful. If you like the Planar sound you won't regret it. As for the amp, LCD-2 would require around 2-watt out at it's impendence level. One thing I noticed it's that it sound good straight out of a my laptop( although my laptop is a power house with upgraded sound card ) I would say the WA22 improves somewhere around 30% overall sound quality.  So don't get scared if you can afford a fancy amp right now. Amplifier is not magic. It's not gonna turn the world around. It will help on extension on both ends, better control on bass, and sound stage, maybe a bit more detail( compare to my laptop sound card).  But I wouldn't say the difference is not night and day. It's noticeable but not affect the overall tonality. So I'd say you can try to get your self a SS amp since they are great for supplying current to headphones. The DIYed amp from cavali is a perfect fit for the LCD-2 or you can try the other DIY ss amp from Cavali. Although I forgot the model number , something like YMHD-1 or something.  Both around $300, when you get extra cash, V200 is a solid choice. 

May 7, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 41
I don't think you need to hold off on the LCD-2 just because you don't have a great amp now.  If you like them, then improve them with an amp and DAC upgrade later.  If you can't audition them, buy a used pair and sell them if you don't like them.  You can always buy back all the mediocre mid-fi phones.

May 7, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 41
Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful advice and feedback. I think I have decided I will keep my collection. I went back and listened to all of them earlier and I really love how each one has a different sound that gives you a different perspective of the music. Each headphone also has their use for certain genres of music I feel like listening to. I think I will miss that versatility if I were to sell most of my headphones.  I also really liked your advice WarriorAnt, and I just might upgrade my amp, dac, etc. to improve the sound I get from my current collection. I am definitely still interested in a LCD-2, but I will wait it out. Perhaps I can test them out someday as well, and see if it's really worth it for me to let go of most of my stuff just for the LCD-2. Maybe there will be a new LCD-3 out.
blink.gif
tongue_smile.gif
I enjoy what I have right now and I will just leave it at that for the moment. Thanks again for all the help! It really saved me from going through the hassle of selling all my gear, finding a used LCD-2, and finding the right amp for it which would come out to be a total that is way over my budget.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 41
May 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #21 of 41

You have a nice collection of cans and you enjoy their different perspectives.  Upgrade the rest of your system for now with a combo like the NuForce HDP
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

I'll bet though if you sent a PM to HeadphoneAddict he'd have some good advice on a nice budget piece of gear for your collection.

May 7, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:

You have a nice collection of cans and you enjoy their different perspectives.  Upgrade the rest of your system for now with a combo like the NuForce HDP
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

I'll bet though if you sent a PM to HeadphoneAddict he'd have some good advice on a nice budget piece of gear for your collection.

Looks like a nice amp & dac. I'll look into it, thanks!

May 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:
Go for the AKG K1000 :) . AKG is never going to release an upgrade and hence you wont be disappointed :).

I was never a big fan of the K1000. However, it's probably got the best soundstage you can get in a headphone.

I would definitely get a LCD-2 if you can. They scale very well with better equipment, so you can continue to upgrade your amp and dac while keeping your headphone.

May 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 41
Can I ask where I can buy a pair of LCD2 in UK? it's official website? 

May 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 41
...the hell?? 550 g?..I dun need the answer to my question above anymore..no hating.for me it's too heavy..^^

May 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #26 of 41

Quote:
Go for the AKG K1000 :) . AKG is never going to release an upgrade and hence you wont be disappointed :).

I was unimpressed by the K1000. The swiveling was a bit gimmicky. Bright treble and weak bass. Soundstage was the best part of the headphone, but overall I prefer listening to the HD598 at 20% of the price.

May 11, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #27 of 41
Can I ask where I can buy a pair of LCD2 in UK? it's official website? 

Bought mine from Simon at http://www.hifisound.co.uk/. Good guy, I believe they are about to start a "loaner" scheme. Costs the same as buying direct from Audeze plus paying the vat man.

May 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #28 of 41

Quote:

I was unimpressed by the K1000. The swiveling was a bit gimmicky. Bright treble and weak bass. Soundstage was the best part of the headphone, but overall I prefer listening to the HD598 at 20% of the price.

x2. I didn't want to be so blunt for fear of being flamed 
biggrin.gif
. Besides the soundstage, it's mediocre in every department

May 11, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #30 of 41
...the hell?? 550 g?..I dun need the answer to my question above anymore..no hating.for me it's too heavy..^^

Yeah they're heavier than most by a magnitude of 2 or so. I'm no strongman but I got used to the weight fast. I think it helps that most of the weight is the directed to the cups. It's all mental for me anyway. I don't want to come off sounding like a fanboy :)D) but I would say don't let the weight factor stop you from at least demoing a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back