SECOND set of headphones: HD448?
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

5370H55V

100+ Head-Fier
A bit about myself: I have the HFI-580 as my first pair of headphones, and while I enjoy the V-shaped frequency response, I'm looking to see what other sound signatures have to offer. So for my second pair I'm looking for either closed or semi-open phones with an emphasized midrange, for under $100. Comfort is important since I wear glasses, so I cant have them clamping too hard.
I have considered the sr60/sr80/ms1, but they are too open for my tastes and I have read they arent exactly comfortable.
Right now I'm considering either the sennheiser dh448 or the superlux hd668b. The senns seem to have great detail and clarity as well as comfort, but many reviews have noted they lack bass. The superluxs have many good reviews and I have heard that the mids are slightly forward, but it doesnt mention by how much. I don't know about their comfort too.
So if I'm looking more to complement rather than upgrade my 580's, which would be a better buy? If anybody has other suggestions that would be welcome also.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 20
No replies?
frown.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 20
mhm, from my experience the HD448 sounded pretty open with some nice highs and mids, but lacked bass

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
mhm, from my experience the HD448 sounded pretty open with some nice highs and mids, but lacked bass

if you listened to them instead of reading reviews you would know they they do have bass, in fact they extend quite low but they lack a mid bass hump like the ultras ones have. They are WAY smoother than the sones*i had them when got the 580's* and the highs are a bit more rolled off. They are for delicate music and add a beautiful color to it.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 20
well for me they lacked bass, esp the bass impact/quantity

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 20
I have to agree with WhiteCrow. I own the hd448 and they are definitely fun to listen to. The mids and highs are well articulated and in terms of bass, at least for me, this is the right quantity and quality I'd expect from headphones.  I definitely wouldn't say they lack bass.  I have to admit the sound signature is laid back and a bit dark but that makes it perfect for synth pop, trans and instrumental music in my opinion.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 20
The HD448s have a severe bass roll-off (no bass punch), that's really their only flaw. They have really great mids, IMO, but the lack of low bass and slightly laid-back presentation might put some off. It depends what music you're into. They're midcentric, yet very smooth and pleasant to listen to. I've been recommending people the HD428 which, according to HeadRoom graphs, sound about the same, yet are cheaper. I've had the HD448 and listened briefly to the 428 and I'd say the sound is the same.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
A bit about myself: I have the HFI-580 as my first pair of headphones, and while I enjoy the V-shaped frequency response, I'm looking to see what other sound signatures have to offer. So for my second pair I'm looking for either closed or semi-open phones with an emphasized midrange, for under $100. Comfort is important since I wear glasses, so I cant have them clamping too hard.
I have considered the sr60/sr80/ms1, but they are too open for my tastes and I have read they arent exactly comfortable.
Right now I'm considering either the sennheiser dh448 or the superlux hd668b. The senns seem to have great detail and clarity as well as comfort, but many reviews have noted they lack bass. The superluxs have many good reviews and I have heard that the mids are slightly forward, but it doesnt mention by how much. I don't know about their comfort too.
So if I'm looking more to complement rather than upgrade my 580's, which would be a better buy? If anybody has other suggestions that would be welcome also.

Heya,

Stay away from the HD448. They sound good, quite good. But their construction/quality of production is awful. Sennheiser really dropped a stinker with that line. They're flimsy, dinky, feel cheap and flaky, the headphones don't clamp, there's little isolation due to that, and they're just... well, they feel like a cheap toy. Sennheiser has a few really good headphones and then a lot of pretty bad headphones, and price has nothing to do with it. They really just don't have something in the ~$100 tier market in my opinion. I'd look at other headphone makers in this range.

The HD668B would be a better headphone for you. It's got the sound stage, it's got great mids. They're not going to be as bassy, not even close, as the HFI 580. They're going to be more neutral. Their build quality is also cheap, which is why they're an inexpensive headphone, but their cost reflects that. So be aware that they're not built like tanks.

Maybe look at AudioTechnica A700 (closed), Sony ZX700 or V6 (closed), Kicker HP541 (closed), Sennheiser HD280 (closed) in the ~$100 tier ranges.

As a note, instead of looking for an emphasized mid-range, just look for a more neutral headphone perhaps.

Very best,

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:

if you listened to them instead of reading reviews you would know they they do have bass, in fact they extend quite low but they lack a mid bass hump like the ultras ones have.

They definitely lack bass...
This is unquestionable....
Even if you try to boost it a little it distorts...

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 20

I agree with Mal's description...
My worst headphone experience...

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 20
Imo, they don't lack bass.

but it really depends on what you're definition of adequate bass is.

Quote:

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Heya,

Stay away from the HD448. They sound good, quite good. But their construction/quality of production is awful. Sennheiser really dropped a stinker with that line. They're flimsy, dinky, feel cheap and flaky, the headphones don't clamp, there's little isolation due to that, and they're just... well, they feel like a cheap toy. Sennheiser has a few really good headphones and then a lot of pretty bad headphones, and price has nothing to do with it. They really just don't have something in the ~$100 tier market in my opinion. I'd look at other headphone makers in this range.

The HD668B would be a better headphone for you. It's got the sound stage, it's got great mids. They're not going to be as bassy, not even close, as the HFI 580. They're going to be more neutral. Their build quality is also cheap, which is why they're an inexpensive headphone, but their cost reflects that. So be aware that they're not built like tanks.

Maybe look at AudioTechnica A700 (closed), Sony ZX700 or V6 (closed), Kicker HP541 (closed), Sennheiser HD280 (closed) in the ~$100 tier ranges.

As a note, instead of looking for an emphasized mid-range, just look for a more neutral headphone perhaps.

Very best,

Yea i'm not to sure of that. I sent these things through hell. In my backpack with a FAT ps3. they did just fine. the feel like they are going to break but never did. My grandmother now has them and shes VERY clumsy and drops them all the time, they ahve yet to even crack.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 20
You are missing the point here..
If this guy who is used to HFI 580's sound signature,build and isolation gets the 448 ''grandmother edition''he will immediately and without remorse throw it out of his window...

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 20
lolumno? I went from the XB700 to the HD448 and was insanely impressed by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back