SE846 Filter mod
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #61 of 251
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I had some time over the weekend to take some FR measurements of all but the yellow dampers. Many thanks to @ThomasHK for his advice on couplers, and of course to @Jamnperry for starting us all down this little rabbit hole :)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]The measurements below are diffuse-field corrected narrow-band (no octave-bin re-sampling) measurements using a slightly modified Vibro Veritas coupler whose interior I coated with UV6800 (a nice rubbery texture which is closer to that of the human ear canal and helps to create a seal) and with a rubber washer fixed to the top to ensure the exact same insertion depth each time. The errors are certainly in there, but they're consistent. I can remove the IEM, reinsert it, and get the exact same measurement each time. FWIW, measurements were all made with SpinFit tips and Ted's reference silver Litz cable, using a FiiO X7+am2 as a USB DAC output to REW. You should be able to get the full-sized image by clicking on the graph below:[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]As I said, there may be absolute errors here, but the measurements are consistent and I expect other measurements to show the same trend. Notice that it's not a simple tilt of the curve as you increase the resistance in the damper. (With outputs shifted to 0 dB at 1 kHz, the orange damper doesn't have the highest bass response, though it certainly would have if you matched OASPLs.) For some perspective, here are the stock Shure filters, along with the modded blue filter and brown Knowles damper:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]The interesting and unique feature of the brown Knowles damper is that it gives the biggest v-shape of any filter. With all curves again shifted to 0 dB at 1 kHz (something you can replicate with your volume control), its bass levels match those of the original stock Shure blue filter - just marginally higher than those of the modded blue - while its treble levels are elevated even beyond those of the stock white filter. This may be related to the effective widening of the nozzle internal diameter, which would tend to boost the upper frequencies. I think @ThomasHK mentioned this possibility earlier in this thread. [/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]I realize that being a fan of v-shaped sound signatures disqualifies me from ever being a true audiophile, but IMHO, given the lower sensitivity of our hearing to the extreme low and high frequencies, we really need a little bit of a boost in the frequency extremes in order to still enjoy listening at safe (i.e., low-ish) volume levels. I like neutral phones too but they can get a bit boring to listen to (ER4S). Just for kicks, compare the SE846+brown Knowles damper to the KSE1500:[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Look at the outrageous v-shape from the KSE1500. And BTW, the KSE1500 sounds amazing :)[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]The SE846 is some way off the KSE1500, especially with its roll-off ~10 kHz, but those brown dampers get it closer than anything else. Is it just a coincidence that the vast majority of us have preferred the brown dampers?! [/color]
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #66 of 251
Hello friends. I just went to Mouser and put my order in for these filters. Unfortunately, the Brown and Red filters are on backorder for almost a month. Would anyone mind if I could try out their brown filter?

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #68 of 251
First off, huge thanks to @csglinux. He has been a huge help with this 846 project. He sent me everything I needed to test these out and was terrific with advice on tips. After an entire weekend of listening to different combination of tips and dampers, I've got some good and bad news. Immediately, the Brown, Green and Red dampers jumped out as clear winners over stock. They jump out and grab you and say, HEY, listen to me!!! So I followed suit and listened and listened all weekend and a few things I noticed:

1. Brown with Spinfits immediately gave the most resolution but sounded a bit harsh at times. Brown with Comply P100s took a step back in clarity but also the harshness was all but gone.
2. Reds with Spinfits also sounded really great but not enough clarity. Everything was solid though. 
3. Greens were good but nothing jumped out with conviction.
4. I decided P100s were much more comfortable for me than Spinfits.
5. Something odd happened during this weekend - Although I was enjoying listening, I was struggling really hard to stay put. I had to take quite a bit of breaks due to ear fatigue. I was fiddling with volume levels; going back and forth on tips and filters again and again and finally went back to the stock white filter with P100s and didn't have issues with fatigue. In fact, all the stock filters did not give me fatigue but I prefer the white sound. 

Overall, I do agree with everyone that the Knowles filters (especially the Brown) are clear winners. There was just something about it that my ears couldn't take for long periods of time. Also, being back on the stock whites now, I do enjoy them still. I actually am not a basshead at all so the bass level on the white filters are more preferred than the Knowles options. I just wish I could have a better treble extension still. Any thoughts? I haven't tried any of the other filters than the Brown, Green and Red. Perhaps a mod to the stock white filter? Better cable than stock?

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #69 of 251
Another week of hard testing and the Brown filters prevail. I'm using the 846 with P100 tips and stock 46" cable using the Knowles brown filters. The Spin fits were not comfortable so I have to remove them from the equation. Does anyone have any advice on how to squeeze a little more "air" in the top-end? I heard silver cables may do that but I also read that allegedly, silver dragons tend to break and that allegedly, moon-audio has bad customer service.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #70 of 251
Does anyone have any advice on how to squeeze a little more "air" in the top-end? I heard silver cables may do that but I also read that allegedly, silver dragons tend to break and that allegedly, moon-audio has bad customer service.

Really? Bad service from Moon? First I've heard of this. They were great in my experience. Sent me detailed information about getting the best mmcx connection. They are not a fan of that connector. Neither am I.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #72 of 251
Another week of hard testing and the Brown filters prevail. I'm using the 846 with P100 tips and stock 46" cable using the Knowles brown filters. The Spin fits were not comfortable so I have to remove them from the equation. Does anyone have any advice on how to squeeze a little more "air" in the top-end? I heard silver cables may do that but I also read that allegedly, silver dragons tend to break and that allegedly, moon-audio has bad customer service.

Silver litz cable and QP1R as a source :)

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #73 of 251
Yea the silver dragons do break. At least the ones for the IEM's. I thought his service was fine. I put them through heavy use and usually get 3-4 months before I need to repair. Nice sound though. No problem at all with my other cable from them for my HD650 though. Those brown Knowles will let you hear subtle differences in cables and they do more than any cable upgrade I've ever done.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #74 of 251
Can I ask for help please 

I need someone to please to buy the dampers for me and ship them to Israel, as the site where those are sold is charging an insane amount of money over 100 usd just for shipping. I usually buy from USA and shipping never exceeds 30 USD and that is for big size parcels.

Can anyone please help me buy 2 pairs of each and I will pay you by paypal and ship it to Israel

Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back