SE846 Filter mod
Apr 27, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #76 of 251
Has anyone played with the stock filters to change the sound signature? I ordered some more stock 846 filters with the plan to see if I can mod them in any other ways. Has anyone bored holes or cut off the tips or widened the holes, things like that.

May 13, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #77 of 251
i received from my friend Jamnperry the red, brown and green dampers

now i am in total agreement that brown sound better than red and both sound amazing, what i noticed is a bit less bass impact on both compared to stock blue shure filter. This was my fitting using cotton swaps. I saw in the pictures that you mainly made the plastic of the tubes that you place the dampers in the size of the dampers itself, did anyone consider making the cotton swap tubes the same length as the original shure filters. Also maybe try then a further mod like placing some kind of material if we make the cotton sawp tubes longer like the original shure filters. Also does it matter which way the dampers are pushed inside the tubes like which side should be pointing where

tomorrow i will try the green one but so far amazing how versatile shure 846 is sound wise now

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #78 of 251
I have been trying to find any IEEE or similar scholarly articles that reference the effects of a longitudinal wave in non-cylindrical tube. The SE846 nozzle inserts are not truly cylindrical tubes, rather they have a flat wall. Shure has also gone through extensive engineering designs to ensure the tube can only be installed with the wall in a very specific position.

Has anyone been able to find information on this nozzle insert design?

-Ray

May 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #79 of 251
i will try tomorrow to see if making the cotton swaps as long as original shure 846 filter will have a different effect than how what is done here, and compare

May 14, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #81 of 251
I have my extra blue and black filters, I didn't get white. I'm going to make a hole in the top of one to see how it affects sound.
looking forward to get your results, with the common method of using the dampers shared the only thing that got lessened with the brown and red dampers is the bass in comparison to the original non modded blue filter, if the bass did not get lessened that would be amazing . Anyway both red and brown sound amazing and turns the shure 846 into a new iem.

May 15, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #82 of 251
so i did a bit more testing by making 2 damper mods of the brown damper, in one mod the cotton swap is the size of the damper itself, and the other mod is the cotton sawp is the size of the shaft of original shure 846 filter, i like the long mod more as the bass is tighter and more present and sounds really amazing.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #83 of 251
Thank you all for the great info, especially the awesome measurement by @csglinux . Currently settled with modded black filter (foam removed) after many trials back and forth. The main problem I have with the stock white filter is that while it is pretty neutral, it is somewhat mid forward (1~2kHz) and dry, especially with the olive tip, which removes some of the low mid muddiness/resonances as reported by @ThomasHK . I found the modded blue reduces the mids a bit but not enough, while the modded black does just enough while retaining a bit more bass which I like. My second favorite may be the white with one foam from blue.

Oct 7, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #85 of 251
I wasn't aware that mouser sells any appropriate-sized tubing. What we've done so far is put these Knowles dampers in some cable insulation, which then fits properly in the SE846 nozzle. I had some of this tubing that was a perfect fit. I say had (past tense), because I now seem to have almost run out of the stuff. In fact, I've been feeling a little guilty that I didn't check more carefully on some of the tubing that I've mailed out in the past. I recently checked and found some of the insulation I had was too small in diameter (fractions of a mm, but enough good to not get a proper seal). Apologies to @adonissk - I think I sent you the wrong-sized tubing :frowning2: You'll know if it fits, because it's very snug in the SE846 nozzle and can't be moved or rotated by hand and it can be a little bit of a fight to push out from the other end using a paper clip (so you need to be careful to push against the side of the nozzle and not to damage the damper).

I just checked this morning and I only have about 1.5" of this tubing left. I guess I could maybe ration that amongst the next three people that need some, but after that I'm out :frowning2: At that point, we're probably going to have to start hitting RadioShack and trying various pieces of cable insulation for size. (Or go with @Jamnperry's trick of using a cotton-swab tube with with silicone grease.)

@nrahuf - if you'd like about 0.5" of this tubing, just pm me your address and I'll put some in the post for you :)

Oct 7, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #86 of 251
@csglinux - thanks for the offer I am in the uk so could be little hassle for you but really appreciate the offer.

Sorry I didn’t mean to infer that mouser had specific tubing for the Knowles Dampers - they have some general tubing and wire sleeves - so wondered what the diameter that people were using.

I’ve ordered the dampers - popped into my local Maplin’s and managed to grab some tubing - which looks to be a similar size to a qtip - so will see if they work when the filters arrive.

Thanks

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #88 of 251
Thanks let me get filters and see if any of the tubes I have got work if not will take you up on your offer thanks.

Just checking is the verdict to make the tubing similar size to the filter or to the same size as the shure housing ?

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #89 of 251
If you go back and look at some of the post in this thread (e.g.: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-2#post-12679050) you'll see the problem. The diameter of the dampers is too small for the SE846 nozzles. You need something to make them fit and seal properly - something that fits the external diameter of the damper and the internal diameter of the SE846 nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back