SE846 Filter mod
Nov 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #107 of 251
Just ordered brown, green, and red Knowles acoustic dampers for 846. I am doing the demo on the Tia Fourte right now, and I'm in love with them. I'm hoping to get the 846 a little closer to the Tia Fourte. I will post Impressions once I get them inserted and give them a listening test.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #108 of 251
Hello guys, I sold my 846 a while ago but would be ready to try then again if a filter change could give them some more air and sparkle in the highs. Which in these third party filter or mods could do that? Thank you

See above post please.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #110 of 251
No they are too small. The q-tips work just fine. Just gently start it with a tooth pick or something to open just the slightest. Then place the damper either way on a flat table and spread towels around to catch it if it slips away. Really hard to find! Then place the tube on top of the damper and gently rock pressing down. Once started, it's easy to push it in and it won't budge. Then trim the tube but be careful to not leave too much. Make sure you can thread the stem back on all the way. I lost one because I didn't catch that.

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #111 of 251
Wait, for the blue filter mod you pull out the foam right?
I did that, and used it for a while.
Wanted to try out the brown again and realised that inside the blue filter there is a second piece of foam. Were you supposed to pull that one out as well?

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #112 of 251
I tried a new way to do the Knowles Acoustic damper modification. I took a larger paper clip and pushed all of the stuff out the black filters that come with the SE846. Then I took that same paperclip and pushed from the bottom of the metal Knowles filter housing to cup the brown cloth around the edge of the paper clip. Then I inserted it into the bottom of the black filters and it works beautifully. This way the little O-rings on the Shure stock filter still do their job of sealing the opening.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #113 of 251
Wait, for the blue filter mod you pull out the foam right?
I did that, and used it for a while.
Wanted to try out the brown again and realised that inside the blue filter there is a second piece of foam. Were you supposed to pull that one out as well?

Yes, just pull out the foam on the end of the blue filter closest to your ears. You can save the foam in a little baggie if you want to reinsert it later. The blue mod sounds pretty damn good, although I'm trying the Knowles brown right now in a pair of modded Black filters.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #114 of 251
I tried a new way to do the Knowles Acoustic damper modification. I took a larger paper clip and pushed all of the stuff out the black filters that come with the SE846. Then I took that same paperclip and pushed from the bottom of the metal Knowles filter housing to cup the brown cloth around the edge of the paper clip. Then I inserted it into the bottom of the black filters and it works beautifully. This way the little O-rings on the Shure stock filter still do their job of sealing the opening.
You got the damper into the black tube? Can you post a pic? TBH I hadn't thought of trying it that way. Good job!

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #115 of 251
Finally, some treble extension.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #116 of 251
You got the damper into the black tube? Can you post a pic? TBH I hadn't thought of trying it that way. Good job!

I will post some pictures of me putting the green and red filters into a blue Shure filter

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #117 of 251
20171119_091842.jpg 20171119_092046.jpg 20171119_092300.jpg 20171119_092340.jpg

Using the existing Shure filters to do the Knowles damper modification is easy peasy. I think the Reds hit the sweet spot, but I'm just about to try the greens. Okay, I think I'm going to settle on the greens because they have decent bass and pretty damn good treble extension... on second thought I think I'll go back to the Reds...for some reason the more I listen to them the more my ears like them. To my ears, doing this modification using the existing Shure tubes sounds better than Q-tips. I am relieved. I can put off getting the Tia fourte until I can buy them reasonably in used, mint condition.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #118 of 251
20171119_102612.jpg

The greens.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #119 of 251
So did you somehow seperate the filter from the metal housing?
I did prefer the reds too for awhile. More of a tube sound if I had to generalize. It's fun to change them out and renew old perspectives hearing it differently.
Cable choices can really affect it too. You can hear the differences better through these dampers.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #120 of 251
Yes, just pull out the foam on the end of the blue filter closest to your ears. You can save the foam in a little baggie if you want to reinsert it later. The blue mod sounds pretty damn good, although I'm trying the Knowles brown right now in a pair of modded Black filters.
Sorry, is that yes to only taking out the first foam, or the second inside bit as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back