SE846 Filter mod
Oct 11, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #93 of 251
The swab method really isn't hard and if there is an audible difference between the swabs and tubing, it is easily solvable with the tiniest bit of silicone. The fit is pretty tight without it but not as tight as the tubing with it's elasticity. Someone had asked for a video how to do it and sorry for never having done that. But if you follow the description and use a toothpick or something to just slightly widen to get it started, and a gentle rocking on a flat surface pushing downward.. once you do one, you'll get it.
I hardly come here but if i can help, I do see notices and I'll respond.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #95 of 251
Hey guys, quick question: do you install the dampers cloth side facing the IEMs or away from the IEMs?

I usually have them fabric side closest to the IEM (farthest away from the open end of the nozzle). These things can make a difference, but in this case, because the distances are so small, I'd expect the effect of flipping the fabric/cloth side around would be very small.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #96 of 251
I usually have them fabric side closest to the IEM (farthest away from the open end of the nozzle). These things can make a difference, but in this case, because the distances are so small, I'd expect the effect of flipping the fabric/cloth side around would be very small.
Thanks!! I have tried the mod and really like them. Thanks for all the help! :)

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #97 of 251
One quick update... I'm afraid I'm now completely out of that tubing to house the dampers :frowning2:
I just got lucky finding some material that perfectly matched the inside diameter of the tube and the outside diameter of the damper, but I posted out the last piece yesterday.

So, at this point, I'd recommend using @Jamnperry's trick with the cotton-swab tubes and (if needed) some grease to seal it properly. Otherwise, you could get creative with electrical insulation tape, heat shrink tubing, etc. As long as you get a reasonably tight seal, you should be good to go.

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #99 of 251
Apologies if I have missed this - but is there a guide as to the effect the different filters make.? - I have purchased all colours - and planned to try all colours but “sleeving” them is going to time consuming :) so any direction which to try first or what peopl have got best results from - would be great.

Oct 24, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #100 of 251
I pretty much laid out my method here. It's really not difficult. As far as colors, most seem to land on the browns but depending on your tastes or gear you can get a warmer sound with the red so if your cable is bright you might like it. The green I thought was a good compromise but overall the brown are more lively and a better bass IMO

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #101 of 251
Ok so I have managed to try out the filters - currently on a set of browns - using custom ear moulds, plussound X8 gold plated silver cable - the sound is sublime, Bass is very pronounced but not to the level it spoils the music - just deep. The highs are clear for me. I tend to listen to mostly jazz funk, r&b, electronica. And a major prince fan. - thunder in this set up is amazing.

Did find very little difference between the browns, reds and green filters - but that’s just my ears.

Oh I did finally solve the custome ear mould issue - just needed to get several impressions and now have a set the fit perfectly and bring out the best in the 846. Worth every penny in my view.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #102 of 251
I really hope this mod can bring me a little closer to Tia Fourte.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #104 of 251
You're on the wrong thread. You want the KSE1500 thread. That easily surpasses the Fourte. IMHO :wink:

I was interested in KSE1500, but don't want to stack. Taking the foam from the end of the blue filter helped some.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #105 of 251
I was interested in KSE1500, but don't want to stack. Taking the foam from the end of the blue filter helped some.
Yes, unfortunately there's no way to avoid a little stack with the KSE1500.

Before you purchase Knowles dampers, you can also try shoving the foam all the way down the far end of the blue filter tube. If you still want more treble, SpinFit CP800 or Symbio tips help too: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1205#post-13617865

Users who are viewing this thread

Back