SE535 vs Triplefi 10
Sep 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #17 of 36
I had both and stuck with the Triple.Fi... I seem to be in the minority here.  Fit-wise, I have smallish ears and don't find the TF uncomfortable in the least; you just have to find the right tips; for me it's the stock medium silicone tip.

I though that the SE535 sounded great—crystal clear, better treble than the 530, all around cohesive sound, not too warm, non-fatiguing—but they lacked what I love about the TF: a "fun" yet detailed sound with oodles of bass impact.  The mids on the TF are a bit recessed, but it doesn't bother me at all.  Maybe it did when switching between the two IEMs (as did the bass with the 535), but after sticking with the TF for 30 minutes to an hour, I got used to the sound signature.

Also, while I liked the 535's cable construction, I found it to be a foot or so too long.  I ended up always having to tuck it into my pocket, else it would get snagged on things and tug at my ears (I actually almost got it caught in the door of the subway--I think that was one of the deciding factors for me).    

With all that said, as you stated that you really liked your old Shures, you may find upgrading to the 535 a better move (and I believe it would be an immediately noticeable upgrade).  Despite my personal preference, I don't think you'd regret it.  I'd only recommend the TF to you if you're looking for a totally different presentation to what you are used to with Shure.    

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #18 of 36
Fantastic post vinnievidi... Thanks a lot!
Thanks everybody for the help. I actualy bought the 535 from an E-bay seller. They are brand new ones for 369 USD plus 8 dollars shipment. I guess it was a good deal. I hope I don't regret for picking such a bargain. The seller is top rated, with 99,8% positive costumer feedback and more than 400 transactions.
I would have gone to the triplefi 10 if it was not for the "painful" fitting described by the majority of the participants here and on other forums.

But the thread is not over. Those who want to keep posting there opinion are very welcome. I will also post my opinion when I get them.

Cheers...

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:
i recently got the 530's and the mids are sooooooooooooooooo nice
biggrin.gif

im just wondering im kinda scared about the cable too, would shure replace or fix damaged cables under warranty?

For the same reason, mids, I have 2 of SE530
biggrin.gif
  one for spare

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 36
I just hope audio stores here in Manila will stock these Shure 535s and offer a demo unit. The last time I've auditioned a pair of SE530s and compared it with my TF10s, the latter, to my ears, just ate up the former. Like what vinnievidi said, the SE530 lacks that "fun" pop in its sound signature. While I commend its performance as far as vocals are concerned (they're nearer to the ears compared to the TF10s), the SE530 fails to excite me. Plus, the treble and bass roll-off is too pronounced that its sticker price here in retail outlets seems to be a real ripoff. Then again, I still haven't heard the SE535s since they're not available in retail outlets in Manila. For the meantime, however, my bet's on the TF10s as long as you can properly fit them in your ears.
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
I just hope audio stores here in Manila will stock these Shure 535s and offer a demo unit. The last time I've auditioned a pair of SE530s and compared it with my TF10s, the latter, to my ears, just ate up the former. Like what vinnievidi said, the SE530 lacks that "fun" pop in its sound signature. While I commend its performance as far as vocals are concerned (they're nearer to the ears compared to the TF10s), the SE530 fails to excite me. Plus, the treble and bass roll-off is too pronounced that its sticker price here in retail outlets seems to be a real ripoff. Then again, I still haven't heard the SE535s since they're not available in retail outlets in Manila. For the meantime, however, my bet's on the TF10s as long as you can properly fit them in your ears.
beerchug.gif

The treble roll off has been fixed on the SE535s...no doubt with my ears (I'm a former SE530 owner). For my money, the both the SE530/SE535s were better. The UE10s had muddy mids and overly tuned up and strident treble. Then throw in the lack of comfort (and outright pain) in my ears with the UE10s and I sold them off within a few months.

The SE535s are neutral and may not be for you based on your comments. I would really recommend you give them a try first. Have you tried the Westone 3s?

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 36
IMO:  
Regarding the SE535, I wouldn't base your opinion of the 535 on the 530.  They do a good job improving on the latter's short comings. 

The W3 are really nice (I've owned them several times); but while they are crystal clear and full of rich bass, they are overly sibilant with some albums (even more so than the TF10... unless you use the Comply tips) and the mid-bass hump may not be to everyone's liking.  In addition, the hump of the W3 sometimes makes the music sound a bit sluggish (if compared to the TF10, X10, and SE535).

The Image X10 would be a decent third option.  They are fast and fun... not to mention very comfortable. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #25 of 36

Quote:

The treble roll off has been fixed on the SE535s...no doubt with my ears (I'm a former SE530 owner). For my money, the both the SE530/SE535s were better. The UE10s had muddy mids and overly tuned up and strident treble. Then throw in the lack of comfort (and outright pain) in my ears with the UE10s and I sold them off within a few months.

The SE535s are neutral and may not be for you based on your comments. I would really recommend you give them a try first. Have you tried the Westone 3s?

MacedonianHero,

After giving your take as to how "significant" the changes that were incorporated into the SE535s made them much better than their previous incarnation, I really am looking forward to try these babies on my ears. Then again, I don't think local retailers here in Manila will stock these in their stores as there remains a surplus of SE530s that are unsold; heck, some stores even sell the Shure E500s at near the sticker price of the SE530s! Moreover, I haven't heard of anyone in our local head-fi group who already owns a pair of SE535s. So I guess I really have to wait until they show up here.

As for the Westone 3s, I was initially planning to sell my TF10s to give them a try. Unfortunately, having read numerous posts about their sibilant nature and finicky fit, I ultimately decided to just stick with my TF10s for the meantime and give them an upgrade with a pair of Westone ES cables. Apart from the very much improved fit, the TF10s' sound signature changed a bit--for the better. While the mids are still stuck in the sound wall of instruments, they're at least closer a bit to my ears. :p

Thanks for the reply!

(and my apologies to the OP for somewhat hijacking the thread. :p)

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
IMO:  
Regarding the SE535, I wouldn't base your opinion of the 535 on the 530.  They do a good job improving on the latter's short comings. 

The W3 are really nice (I've owned them several times); but while they are crystal clear and full of rich bass, they are overly sibilant with some albums (even more so than the TF10... unless you use the Comply tips) and the mid-bass hump may not be to everyone's liking.  In addition, the hump of the W3 sometimes makes the music sound a bit sluggish (if compared to the TF10, X10, and SE535).

The Image X10 would be a decent third option.  They are fast and fun... not to mention very comfortable. 

vinnievidi,

Thanks for the response!

As regards my preferences, I prefer the sound coming from my IEMs on the balanced side of things with a subtle dash of warmth. My TF10s more than make up such aural need; when I auditioned the IE8s a few months ago, I wasn't that satisfied with their sound signature despite the rave reviews they have been getting in the past.

I really am keeping my fingers crossed that local audio retailers bring the SE535s to Manila so that we can finally audition them and compare them side-by-side with our audio gears. I have been disappointed with what I've heard from the SE530s. If Shure have indeed changed the frequency response of the SE535s to cover the shortcomings of their past incarnation, it may have a winner with them.

Again, thanks for the reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
 I ultimately decided to just stick with my TF10s for the meantime and give them an upgrade with a pair of Westone ES cables. Apart from the very much improved fit, the TF10s' sound signature changed a bit--for the better.  

Not to change the subject, but I didn't know that the Westone cable was compatible with the TF 10.  Can I ask what benefits in fit and sound (besides what was mentioned above) were gained in switching to the Westone cable?

Thanks! 

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #28 of 36

Quote:
Not to change the subject, but I didn't know that the Westone cable was compatible with the TF 10.  Can I ask what benefits in fit and sound (besides what was mentioned above) were gained in switching to the Westone cable?

Thanks! 

vinnievidi,

Yup, the Westone ES cables are compatible with the TF10s...but you have to first file the pins as they are a tad too long for the TF10s' connectors. I first heard it in the Jaben forums and saw it in action in an acquaintance's IEMs, although the IEMs in question are the Super.Fi 5 Pros.

As for fit, the Westone ES cables TREMENDOUSLY improves it as the cables, as we all know, are very pliant and soft to the touch. Thanks to the included memory wire, I can now comfortably loop the TF10s around my ears for hours. They also improve the seal of the IEMs on my ears as I can now push the TF10s a lil' bit deeper into my ears.

As for the sound, the cables slightly pushed the mids forward. Note that the frequency response of the modded TF10s still remains V-shaped; with the cables, however, vocals are now bearable to the ears compared to the stock cabled TF10s when more often than not vocals are lost in the sound mix. Bass sounds tighter and cleaner with the modded TF10s while treble response remains exceptional. On the other hand, with the slightly forward mids comes a slightly smaller soundstage. The decrease in soundstage width and depth, however, isn't that large enough to take away the enjoyment from listening to the TF10s. Overall, the Westone ES cables are a worthy upgrade to the already-palatable UE house sound.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #29 of 36
The Westone cable's pins are also a little larger in diameter and may stretch out the sockets in the TF10s.
The cables make a vast difference in the comfort and seal area. I found the weight and stiffness of the stock cables would not allow me to keep a good seal.
I am not a fan of memory wire, so I turned the memory wire of the Westone cables into a tight pigtail as they exoted the connector. 

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #30 of 36

Quote:
Fantastic post vinnievidi... Thanks a lot!
Thanks everybody for the help. I actualy bought the 535 from an E-bay seller. They are brand new ones for 369 USD plus 8 dollars shipment. I guess it was a good deal. I hope I don't regret for picking such a bargain. The seller is top rated, with 99,8% positive costumer feedback and more than 400 transactions.
I would have gone to the triplefi 10 if it was not for the "painful" fitting described by the majority of the participants here and on other forums.

But the thread is not over. Those who want to keep posting there opinion are very welcome. I will also post my opinion when I get them.

Cheers...

Hi there fellow Brazilian, did your 535s arrive? I own a 530 for less than an year but a co-worker went to USA and offered me to bring me the 535. Bought at Amazon for $500. I have it for 3 days now.

I don't know if it's the better fit - the 535 is smaller and lighter - but there is definitelly some difference from the 530. The highs are more pronounced, the bass is less pounchy but more detailed. The 535 is simply delightful! Like one of the system requirements for listening to God, LOL.

And the build quality of the 535 is way ahead of that of its predecessor.

Saudacoes,
Paulo Mario

PS: Acho que vou colocar meu 530 a venda do MercadoLivre... Se algum colega seu se interessar, avise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back