SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Feb 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #166 of 590
Where do I get these filters? I broke mine and need a new filter for my SE535 ltd 
tongue.gif
 Do I need some tool for them? how do I get the filters out? How do I insert in the new ones? 

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #167 of 590
Where do I get these filters? I broke mine and need a new filter for my SE535 ltd :p  Do I need some tool for them? how do I get the filters out? How do I insert in the new ones? 

1. Mouser.com
2. Etymotic tool or wax loop tool or pin or needle.
3. Use tool to pull it out.
4. Use tweezers or your fingers and place damper into nozzle.

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #169 of 590
Feb 17, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #170 of 590
For the brown dampers http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/BF-1860-000/423-1183-ND/810393

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #173 of 590
  thanks ^^ ohh and I think I lost the cleaning tool :p is there any other alternative tool to get the filter out and in? I read that the etymotic filter fits in the SE535 but does the gray one sound exactly the same as the gray one from digikey?

You can probably try something like a pin or needle or small screwdriver to remove the original filters.  To insert the new dampers, use a pair of tweezers or your fingers (be careful - they're tiny and could get lost if you drop it on carpet.

The Etymotic filters will fit in the Shure SE53x as the nozzles on both are the same size.  I am not sure about the grays as I don't have them.  

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #174 of 590
Hello Guys 
beerchug.gif

I bought recently a refurbished pair of se535  and my IEM has arrived yesterday . I ordered grey, white and brown dampers this morning and popped off the stock dampers (white) of my pair  very easily ( I'm not so good with my two left hands usually 
redface.gif
 and I was afraid to broke something) with the Shure wax tool. 

Many Thanks for all explanations of this thread. Very useful indeed 
beerchug.gif
 . i'm now waiting for the new dampers an I'll be back with my impressions.  

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #175 of 590
  Anyone in Toronto, Canada interested in ordering these? maybe we can order them together and save a little on shipping if your nearby. Worth a shot right! :)

You were just a bit too late as I received my order yesterday... mouser does have a USPS shipping option that is only $8, so not too bad actually.

I got the grey, white, and brown.

After some quick listening I was pretty much in agreement with what others have said:
grey - more treble/high emphasis and I do hear more detail compared to white, but at the expense of bass, not sure I will use these
white - very close to stock, but I swear I'm hearing a bit more detail and more impact in the bass... really not sure if it's placebo so I will have to listen some more
brown - increased bass and even nicely extending to the lower mids (compared to stock), sounds nice, at least initially

So after the quick audition I tried out the browns today and while they sound nice, I couldn't get past the fact I wasn't hearing quite as much detail. Also to me it sounds as is if the browns have more bass but not as much impact as I get with the white.

Brown is out and white is in for tomorrow.

One other observation I have is that I believe the Knowles dampers are shorter than the stock dampers. If I push them all the way in to sit where the stock dampers do, it seems like they lock into place but they would actually sit loosely (they won't fall out or in), like they're maybe half a millimeter too short, so I had to pull them up a bit to fit snug.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #177 of 590
Have the entire set available from Mouser coming in today ...

Will post some impressions once I've had time to listen ...

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #178 of 590
You were just a bit too late as I received my order yesterday... mouser does have a USPS shipping option that is only $8, so not too bad actually.

I got the grey, white, and brown.

After some quick listening I was pretty much in agreement with what others have said:
grey - more treble/high emphasis and I do hear more detail compared to white, but at the expense of bass, not sure I will use these
white - very close to stock, but I swear I'm hearing a bit more detail and more impact in the bass... really not sure if it's placebo so I will have to listen some more
brown - increased bass and even nicely extending to the lower mids (compared to stock), sounds nice, at least initially

So after the quick audition I tried out the browns today and while they sound nice, I couldn't get past the fact I wasn't hearing quite as much detail. Also to me it sounds as is if the browns have more bass but not as much impact as I get with the white.

Brown is out and white is in for tomorrow.

One other observation I have is that I believe the Knowles dampers are shorter than the stock dampers. If I push them all the way in to sit where the stock dampers do, it seems like they lock into place but they would actually sit loosely (they won't fall out or in), like they're maybe half a millimeter too short, so I had to pull them up a bit to fit snug.

how long did it take you to receive yours? I placed my order 4 days ago and they only shiped now I'm not sure how long the USPS will take but if it's anything like Canada Post I'm guessing it'll be at least another wee week and a half before I get to see the filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back